Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AMITRIPTYLIN , try , or is it worth trying. (Read 1498 times)
horsegirl
CH.com Veteran

Cluster Headaches

x0||USA||0|0|IA,Iowa
AMITRIPTYLIN , try , or is it worth trying.
Apr 2nd, 2010 at 5:51pm

prescribed to me couple weeks ago when I got o2 script, she said it was a drug for deppresion  that they used years ago and now they use it for migraines and chronic headaches , I reminded her that I have clusters. She said to try it it helped one of her cluster patients . anyone know anything about this drug.

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Re: AMITRIPTYLIN , try , or is it worth trying.
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 6:07pm

I took it a  long time ago......helped me sleep.....didn't help the CH a bit.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 7:26pm

Also called elavil it has had some sucess with ch according to some trials.  If you do a seach on elavil you might find more info on it.  I would try it.  I think it is a stadard medicine to try.  I dont think your dr is out of line in recomending it to you.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 8:07pm

Pretty good track record with Migraines, not good with CH's. Sounds like a Doc who is in over their head.

It would make me think about finding a Doc who already understands CH's, in lieu of having to educate one.

IP Logged

jlcalbre
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:47pm

I took it for many years with a lot of success.  Made me gain about 25 lbs though.  Will definitely knock you out but you will get over that in a month or so.  I took it once a day at night and would occasionally accidentally take it in the morning instead of some other medication I was also taking.  This would knock me out for 3 or 4 hours.  Switched to Verapamil about 2 years ago and am much happier with it.  More consistent success without the side effects.

One thing I will say is check with your pharmacy about cost.  I found out after paying copays for 8 years, that I could buy a bottle of 100 Amitryptylene for about $23 without going through my insurance, which was less than paying a copay each month for 3 months.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 10:23am

A quick scan of PubMed revealed: no current literature in relation to CH; several abstracts about other headache conditions; not until you get back to 1984 do you find a few in relation to Cluster.

This class of meds has been used to aid sleep and it has some use in reducing the overall sensitivity to pain--but I've not seen it as a standard treatment for cluster in many years.

Over the years any number of meds have been tried for Cluster and then disappear from the medical literature, i.e., they don't prove to be effective.

Here is a listing of the current thinking in drug treatment:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2010 at 10:26am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

horsegirl
CH.com Veteran

Cluster Headaches

x0||USA||0|0|IA,Iowa
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 3:00pm

thank you everyone , I think I will leave that drug on the shelf , I realy should of started the verap like I did last cycle . but didn't want to feel tired all the time cause my life is to hectic right now . So i traded tired in for 3 to 10 hits a day , brilliant arnt I. I feel its to late to start verap  now cause I should be ending soon and it takes so long to get  in the system . damb  it  , you think I'd remember how hard it is to fight these without a preventative.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!