Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HA Changes side during hit?! (Read 2022 times)
Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
HA Changes side during hit?!
Apr 2nd, 2010 at 2:02am

Last night I was  getting slammed by one of my 4-5 late night visits. I was amped up to about k9or10 when all of the sudden the HA jumped from the left side to the right side in the middle of the attack. Now, I understand that it is not that uncommon for HA's to switch sides during cycle or switch to the other side on the next cycle as it has happened to me before. But I have never had it switch in mid-hit. I gotta say, it freaked me out and hurt like hell(if it's possible to get worse than k10, I was at that instance). Does this happen often or am I truly just a freak? SmileyYep, I just left myself open for all kinds of fun comments there didn't I
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2010 at 2:03am by Pfunk »  
http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: HA Changes side during hit?!
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 8:53am

Literature on side shift is uncommon and I've never seen a situation mentioned like yours.
----------

J Headache Pain. 2009 Aug;10(4):259-63. Epub 2009 Jun 3.
Lateralization in cluster headache: a Nordic multicenter study.

Meyer EL, Laurell K, Artto V, Bendtsen L, Linde M, Kallela M, Tronvik E, Zwart JA, Jensen RM, Hagen K.

Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Division of Neurology at Karolinska Insitutet, Stockholm, Sweden.

A slight predominance of cluster pain on the right side has been reported in several studies. The aim of this large retrospective Nordic multicenter study was to estimate the prevalence of right- and left-sided pain in cluster headache (CH) patients with side-locked pain, the prevalence of side shifts in episodic and chronic CH patients, and the occurrence of cranial autonomic symptoms related to pain side.

AMONG 383 CLUSTER PATIENTS, 55 (14%) HAD EXPERIENCED PAIN SIDE SHIFT. OF THE REMAINING 328 INDIVIDUALS WITHOUT SIDE SHIFT, THERE WAS NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE OCCURRENCE OF RIGHT-SIDED AND LEFT-SIDED PAIN (54 VS. 46%). THE PREVALENCE OF SIDE SHIFT WAS SIMILAR FOR EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CH AND THE OCCURRENCE OF CRANIAL AUTONOMIC SYMPTOMS WAS NOT INFLUENCED BY THE PAIN SIDE. In conclusion, previous reports of a side difference in location of cluster pain could not be confirmed in this large Nordic sample.

Publication Types:
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 19495933 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:13am

Can you elaborate a little more on what happened exactly when the shift started in mid-hit? Sounds bizarre, but then again, with our condition nothing surprise me anymore...

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:18am

Oh Funk I doubt anyone on this board would be so cold as to kick a CH'er when he's down by commenting on his mental status. Grin Grin Grin

I'm with Bob, I've heard several people talking about CH switching sides, either a whole cycle on one side and then another cycle on the other side, or getting a right side attack then  a left side attack same cycle, but wow, switching sides during an attack, thats just messed up. Cry

As always, certainly a good time to touch base with the head doc. Hope it's just a freak one time thing.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 11:14am

Since I have had back to back hits before with very little time between hits, it COULD happen to have back to back hits where it changes sides and almost no time between them.

Just a guess because a hit changing sides seems very weird to me.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 4:55am

neuropath wrote on Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:13am:
Can you elaborate a little more on what happened exactly when the shift started in mid-hit? Sounds bizarre, but then again, with our condition nothing surprise me anymore...

Honestly, no I really cant elaborate, as I really have no idea what or how it happened. All i do know is that it happened fast and the pain got worse just as fast. I'm 39 and I've been having these HA's since I was a young boy and nothing kike this has ever happened.  I've had 10 or so hits since and they are back to the left side again so I guess it was a one-time thing. I just thought it was weird and wanted to see if anyone else had ever experienced anything similar.

Much Luv and PF Wishes
Pfunk Cool

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 7:20am

I hope for you it was only a freak one-off.

PF Wishes and hang in there!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 9:21pm

Occasionally I'll get one that starts on the left and goes to about a K3 before going home to the right side, but never have I had one change sides during the fight!  I will say though that when I do have it happen that it will be a reall doozy when it gets to the right side where it belongs.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 7:44pm

Never heard of this.  I have suffered as an episodic for 30 yrs and always unilateral.  Some cycles the attacks are on the left and some cycles the attacks on the right, but never switching sides within the same cycle.  Keep us posted

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 1:21pm

I'm an episodic right side - always - except for one time.  I had just had my regular evening right side hit, ending as normal.  About 5 minutes later, bam - left side!  Freaked me out - especially because I was so used to placing my ice packs and pressing my hands and fingers in just the right spots (this was before I found O2 and seeds), that I could not deal with the left side at all.

Thankfully, it was short, and not as intense as a "normal" hit.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 12:11am

I'll be damned if it didn't happen again last night. I got hit on the way my mother's house. When I got out of the car to go inside the damn thing moved from the left to right side again. Not getting hit to often right now(down to 2-3 from7-10) but when it switches it hurts like hell!!!

Pfunk Cool
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2010 at 12:11am by Pfunk »  
IP Logged

horsegirl
CH.com Veteran

Cluster Headaches

x0||USA||0|0|IA,Iowa
Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 6:53pm

For some reason I dont remember if it was the last cycle or the one before but , I am a lefty always,  but one cycle . I had a colonastapy and when I woke I had a ha on my right side. I didnt even recognize them as my clusters. The pain was not as severe and the duration was different , I was due for my cycle though, anyway one of them got fairly bad and then I knew for sure . The duration of the cycle was the same . The good thing was the less intense pain, plus the o2 worked on all most all, but the bad thing was I have a lazy eye lid on my right and the whole cycle my eye was almost completly shut , like the lid was just to weak to open .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!