Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diagnosed & O2 Question (Read 1459 times)
Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Diagnosed & O2 Question
Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:36pm

I was diagnosed with CH this week. I'm getting an MRI and MRA on Friday to confirm that there's no other "more serious" issues (as if CH isn't serious enough). I'm picking up my prednisone, Topomax and an injection therapy (I'm tired, so I forget the name of it now) tomorrow. I already have the O2 tank. I bought a mask for it, but it's just a regular mask with tiny holes in each side. Do I need the rebreather? Will that give me more O2? I used it last night at the start of my headache for about 8 minutes and it worked well, but if the rebreather is necessary, I'll go get one. I have to say, I'm upset about the dx, but relieved to know what it is. I had posted about a month ago before I went to the doctor as well. Thanks all for your feedback, advice and support.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:37pm by Mike Bernardo »  

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: Diagnosed & O2 Question
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 12:28am

You need a NON-rebreather mask with a bag on it and yes it will work much better.

To get the best use out of what you have, tape the holes on the side shut with duct tape and lift the mask to exhale. We need 100% O2 no outside air. Please read thru the link below.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 2:10am

I'll betcha the injection therapy you're talking about is imitrex injections.

Those will definitely abort an attack for most of us. I have found this imitex tip:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

To hold some genuinely critical information - it has helped revolutionize my CH experience and that of many others.

Between the O2 and the imitrex, get ready for success aborting a whole lot of attacks.  Cool O2 makes a good first line of defense, imitrex is a powerful ace in the hole to have as a backup IMO.

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:24pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 7:53am

Hi Mike,

I'm happy you have answsers and a Doctor that seems to know his CH.  I'm sorry to find out we're related.  But you are in the right place.

From the question you asked it looks like you've got some reading to do.  Follow the oxygen link suggested above and read everything there.  It'll give you your life back.

The best beast kicking weapon in this fight is a well educated clusterhead.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:37am

The others already have you on the right track. Welcome to the board, hoping it's a short run for you this go round.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 11:58am

thanks all. It was Imitrex ($516 for 6 shots!!!). I ordered the non-rebreather mask from this site, and I started my prednisone today, and the Topomax tonight. Unfortunately I had a drink last night after work, and now I'm suffering tremendously. Never had a "hangover" start 30 minutes after a drink. I'm drinking lots of water, and will hit the oxygen later for a dose if this doesn't ease up by tonight. and tonight's the MRI, let's hope for "no news" on that front.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 12:02pm

I drank half a beer at a party thinking the cycle should be about ever. The swift kick the beast gave to my head told me otherwise. Yeah, for many, alcohol in cycle has nasty side effects! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:56am

Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard...  Don't wait to start the oxygen therapy...  Crank your regulator up to the maximum setting and start sucking it down as soon as you feel an attack approaching... 

The longer you wait...  the higher the pain will build...  and the higher the level of pain, the longer it will take to abort with oxygen therapy.

Take care and have a wonderful Easter,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 12:04pm

Check the "imitrex tip" on the left of this page to maximise your mileage.

IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 12:40am

I second neuropath!!  Also ask your doc if you could get imitrex in viles with disposable syringes.  I asked and now I have a stock pile.  Now I can extract just a minimal amount of imitrex to elevate the CH.  No more Q-tip!!  Wink

Sounds like you have a winner of a doc.  O2, imitrex.. etc...
Wish you many pain free nights and days!
Ange

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!