Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster Headaches and Parabolic Space Flight? (Read 2481 times)
Nigel V.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cluster Headaches and Parabolic Space Flight?
Mar 31st, 2010 at 1:55pm

Hi all.  This may be the wierdest cluster question ever, but here goes. 

I am an episodic cluster sufferer, currently in week #8 of hell.  Clusters are getting better, have migrated from 3am to 2pm, and are now being experienced sporadically (I may miss 1-3 days, get my hopes high, then get hit with a reminder that it’s still alive and kicking). 

Late last week, I was offered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to participate in a parabolic (weightless) flight this coming Saturday.  More details of the flight are below from the company's website, but am wondering if any of you will have any perspective about whether this should be avoided at all costs given my current cluster condition.  I do not want to miss this amazing opportunity if I don’t have to. 

My neurologist has become MIA and is not returning my calls, and I unfortunately have to make a call on this within the next day or so.  Any thoughts?

What Is Parabolic Flight?

Weightless Flight (also known as Parabolic Flight) is achieved aboard Zero G's Boeing 727 aircraft named G-Force One. Weightlessness is achieved by flying G-Force One through a parabolic flight maneuver. Specially trained pilots fly these maneuvers between approximately 24,000 and 34,000 feet altitude. Each parabola takes 10 miles of airspace to perform and lasts approximately one minute from start to finish.

The plane is initially pulled up to approximately 45 degrees 'nose high'. Next the plane is 'pushed over' the top to reach the zero-gravity segment of the parabolas. For about 30 seconds, everything in the plane is weightless. At approximately 30 degrees 'nose low' a gentle pull-out is started which allows Flyers to stabilize on the mat on the aircraft floor. Finally, the g-force is increased smoothly to about 1.8 g's until the aircraft reaches a flight altitude of 24,000 feet. The maneuver is then repeated.

The weightlessness experienced by everyone inside the airplane is actually equivalent to the type of "free fall" you experience when sky diving. In this case however, the body of the aircraft surrounds you and protects you from the on-rushing wind. Flyers do not experience the sensation of falling. At the end of the free-fall period, the aircraft scoops you up and carries you back to the top of the arc to begin the free-fall process again.

In addition to achieving zero-g or weightlessness, G-Force One can also fly a parabola designed to offer Lunar (1/6th) or Martian (1/3rd) gravity. These reduced-gravity environments are also created with a modified parabola that is not quite as steep as a zero-gravity parabola.

~ Nigel V.

You may forget what people say
You may forget what people do
But you never ever forget how they make you feel

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Re: Cluster Headaches and Parabolic Space Flight?
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 2:21pm

Hi Nige
Don't know much about parabolic space flight or plains for that matter , unless they are for wood working , but I do know that changes in air pressure can trigger attacks in some of us .

I wouldn't want to put you off this fantastic opportunity tho .

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 2:45pm

Have you ever had cluster trouble in an airplane?  I

f the answer is no, then I say go for it and bring along some Imitrex.

If the answer is yes, then go for it and bring along some Imitrex.

Clusters wouldn't keep me off of that plane  Cool

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 3:00pm

You might even want to consider taking a longer acting triptan (like Amerge or Frova) an hour or two prior to take off. Just as insurance.

I wouldn't miss the opportunity to go weightless for anything.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 3:41pm

Agreed on the long acting triptan.  This is once in a lifetime.  I wouldn't miss it either, nor let the fear of a hit stop me from enjoying the experience.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 4:46pm

I agree with the prior posters.  Take an abortive such as imitrex or amerge or frova either before the trip or right after you land.  I wouldn't let ch stop me from this adventure.  Have fun and come back and tell us about the experience.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:30pm

I would go even without the meds!  That is an opportunity I would happily suffer a hit for if I had to.  Enjoy and please tell us about it.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:38pm

Count me IN,

I would do it!!!!

Dont you dare chicken out here!! Can i go??

God speed, Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:40pm

Only thing I can add is that I've been hit while in-flight on a commercial flight and excused myself to the lav to use Imitrex and was "ok" thankfully after it kicked in.

The bad side effect being the pressure change on descent, not causing the CH at all, but rather the injection stinging (this was like an hour later) and becoming a sort of welt.  Apparently fluid injected into your body at one pressure and then suddenly subjected to another pressure does weird things, not horribly things, just somewhat painful things.. like making tender welts on the arm.

So, be aware of that Tongue

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 1:45am

Do it!   

Seems like a few of us on the site are pilots/former pilots.  No portion of flying was ever a trigger for me.  I echo the prevent stuff people have said.  If it were me, I would take a caffeine tablet (200 mg would do it) or drink a few cups of coffee or a red bull a 20 minutes before the 'once in a lifetime' flight.  Only if I was in my cycle though.   If not in my cycle the G forces, or lack thereof wouldn't affect much.  You might throw up??  Different issue. Tongue

Have fun Armstrong!

--Shaggy

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 1:56am

Its an experience not to miss.

Dont let this stop the trip as you probably wont be up long enough but 70% of astronauts experience very nasty headaches possibly due to weightlessness and body fluids over time.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

MJ

IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 5:31am

Take a box of Trex and enjoy the weightlessness.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW itotka  
IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:18am

In theory, you are talking about a hyperbaric environment, and therefore something that may actually be helpful for CH (don't quote me, havent been there!).

Who knows, maybe it busts the beast into outta space?

Be sure to tell us if it does!

IP Logged

Nigel V.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 12:33pm

Thank you all for some very sound advice.  Finally heard back from my neurologist, and he also gave me the thumbs-up to do this.  Looking forward to this given the hell I've been through over the past few weeks...

Will update you all on the experience.

~ Nigel V.

IP Logged

Nigel V.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 12:42pm

Hi all... I had my amazing parabolic space flight adventure on Saturday and was not hampered my a cluster headache.  Took Excedrin Migrane as an abortive, and that worked well. 

We took off at ~10:30am, flew for 45 mins before we were in the fly zone, and then had ~ 1 hour of unbelievable fun.  We did 15 parabolas, with each lasting ~30 secs.  The first was a Martian parabola where I was 1/3 my body weight... probably my greates motivation EVER to get in shape.  Even did a 1-arm pushup;-)  The next 2 were lunar parabolas, which is what astronauts experience on the moon.  For these I was 1/6 my body weight.  And yup, after 35 years of futile attempts, I finally did the moon walk;-)

The next 12 parabolas were all weightless.  I floated around, did Cirque du Soleil types of maneuvers, and even drank floating water.  Got disoriented at one point, not realizing I was standing on the ceiling... and won the superman race for the floating green M&M. 

All-in-all, I had an amazing adventure that will be cherished for the rest of my life.   Glad I didn't chicken-out, and glad that clusters didn't prevent this from happening.

Cheers.

~ NIGEL

~ Nigel V.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #15 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 1:39pm

Congrats!  I'm jealous, but glad for you.

You learned something I believe from this.  NEVER let the beast rule your life.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #16 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 1:43pm

Wow Dude....

I can close my eyes and see it all, but can only imagine the feeling. 

Glad you didn't chicken out too.  I liked my few minutes of pretend reading about your adventure.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 6:07pm

Redd wrote on Apr 5th, 2010 at 1:43pm:
.................I liked my few minutes of pretend reading about your adventure.

Yeah - what Redd said!

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 7:07pm

COOL , way to go dude

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #19 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 11:38am

I would have hunted you down and bopped you on the head if you'd have missed this on account of the beast. Wink

What a fantastic, once in a lifetime, not to be missed adventure. Jealous as heck out here, congrats on taking the leap.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #20 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 8:10pm

Sounds like an awesome time.  I'm so glad you didn't let the beast keep you grounded. 

I'm proud of ya Nigel!!!

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!