Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topmax and Verapamil (Read 1141 times)
Robzilla
CH.com Newbie

x1|Hawthorne|USA|usa|496|112|NJ,New_Jersey
Topmax and Verapamil
Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:13am

I've been taking Topmax 100mg twice a day for 2 years now and have had the beast under control - just some battles here an there. Now my blood psi is high so my question is can you be on both Topmax and Verapamil or should I just make the switch to Verapamil to control the BP and the CH?  My GP does not know and I  have to wait two weeks to see the nuro.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Re: Topmax and Verapamil
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:19am

Since non of us are doctors, I would put that decision in your neuros hands.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 10:15am

I have been on verapamil and topomax this cycle! 600 mg verap and a low dose of topomax 50 mg a day! worked pretty well for me! so yes you can take both! I have an annying side effect from the topomax though, my left thigh sometimes has this burning numbing feeling when i lay down other than that its fine hope this helps

IP Logged

cgrill
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 10:47pm

yeah, you can.  I take 125 mg of topax max each day and 250 mg of varapamil as well.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 11:00pm

Principally one can be on both. It is however a decision I would leave in the hands of your neuro. Some people here report slightly more undesirable side effects with Topamax than they do with Verapamil.

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Re: Topamax and Verapamil
Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 5:58pm

Once again - not a doc recommendation - just my experience...

I was on 720 verapamil and 300 topamax for a bit of time at one point this year... there is no contraindication (as long as your doc ok's it and you are getting EKGs for the verap if doc wants for higher dosages). 
I have been on Topamax for years as well.  It was suggested to me that I taper off Topamax Very slowly - I have heard and read that tapering quickly can cause seizures, even if you never had them before you started it.  My GP recommended lower than 100mg/day dropping 25mg every other day, then a week at 75mg, then again - every other day drop 25 for a week then 50 mg for a week, do this until down to 0.  This is a very subtle drop.  Better than going too fast.?

I'd wait personally for the opinion of a medical professional with my medical history who can advise (your neuro) - esp. if it's only in 2 weeks!

Val

val2651  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!