Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 help in Richmond, VA (Read 2321 times)
jlcalbre
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
O2 help in Richmond, VA
Mar 29th, 2010 at 2:27pm

Anyone in the Richmond area use O2 and if so, where do you get it from?  Apria, the fabulous people who delivered a concentrator, says I can have tanks but I have to keep the concentrator, which is an unneccesary expense my insurance company would have to pay since it is completely useless.

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Re: O2 help in Richmond, VA
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 2:31pm

I sure don't understand that one. Richmond has more than one medical gas supplier although Apria usually is a good one. Ask to speak to a manager or grab a phone book and give someone else a call.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

jlcalbre
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 2:55pm

Some nonsense about how they can only bill for the concentrator or the concentrator and the tanks, not just the tanks separately.  It's "policy".  That's why I'm trying to find someone else!

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 6:54pm

I'd call BS on that one and as Racer1_NC said, get a hold of someone in their management and flush it out......

IP Logged

jlcalbre
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 9:54pm

I told the lady on the phone that it was ridiculous and she seemed to agree but insisted it was their billing policy and they "couldn't just change their policy because of what my Dr. prescribed".  I said if that was their attitude then that was fine, I would just take my business elsewhere.  Already found another company that is more than happy to help.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 9:56pm

Thank goodness you found another provider.....that just sounds stupid!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:20am

I know this is an old post but an update, FWIW.  I am in Richmond, VA and use Apria currently.  They too, mysteriously foisted a concentrator off on me when my doctor had written no such prescription.  But when I called to make them take it back, they didn't put up a fuss.  Thanks to this site, I already knew that the concentrator would be worthless.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Giovanni
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Cary|USA|usa|472|185|NC,North_Carolina
Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 7:37am

I live in NC now, but lived in the Richmond area for many years.  Anthiem had a contract with American Home Patient.  I had excellent service with these people.  A lot of insurance companies have policies in place that the portable oxygen is a SUPPLIMENT to the concentrators and not to be used alone by itself.  Even though the concentrators will deliver only about 90-92% pure oxygen at a flow rate much less than what we need for clusterheadaches.  In addition, the machine needs several minutes to crank up and deliver anything.  Either the oxygen company is taking advantage of insurance opportunities; or the insurance is dictating the method of delivery in your case.

If it were me, I would leave it alone, as it COULD compromise your oxygen supply. Cheesy

John

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 4:35am

You forgot "...and the concentrator will arrive smelling of moldy cigarettes" to the list of reasons why I sent back the machine. Smiley

I'm not too worried about losing insurance benefits.  It's been several months since I banished the thing, and I've had no trouble getting as much bottled 02 as I asked for.  As long as I pony up the $20 copay, of course.

FWIW, my doctor's script does not specify amounts, only that it be "100% oxygen, 15 lpm, non-rebreather mask, for CH as needed."  You'd think they would know that the concentrator is contraindicated, since it can't deliver the medication in the proper dose.  Roll Eyes 

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!