Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi from St. Louis (Read 5604 times)
Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Hi from St. Louis
Reply #25 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 10:22am

Before I got insurance to pick up my 02 I was renting E tanks for $4.50 a month apiece, and paying around $12 each time I took them in for refills. Now that the insuranc epays I keep 8 E-tanks in a cute little carrier in the garage!!!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #26 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:22am

melissa76767 wrote on Mar 30th, 2010 at 11:46pm:
Hi
I am also from Saint Louis.  I am 31 years old and have been dealing with this since I was 16.  I don't have a lot of time to talk right now, but I did want to mention the Ryan's headache clinic.  They know everything about CH and make people with CH a priority.  I am so glad I found them!

I love the Ryan HA clinic.  They are wonderful!

Welcome to CH.com!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #27 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 1:45pm

Quote:
You are sooooooooooooo lucky your CH only last a few weeks...by lucky of course I mean that they don't last long!

Not so fast. Many chronic sufferers here say honestly that they prefer being chronic (most of them have been both episodic and chronic). It takes the guesswork, and thus the uncertainty and dread, out of dealing with when the next one will come.

Perhaps in your case the grass is greener on the other side of the fence....

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #28 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 3:05pm

Cece wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 1:59pm:
The grass is greener on the other side of the fence???????
That's messed up! I love my grass and don't wish for any other thank you.
Perhaps some people like being chronic but my husband was just fine with being episodic.

I don't mean to be rude but that comment really hurts my feelings! Sorry if perhaps I took it the wrong way.

All I meant is my husband could use a damn break! Of course it's no fun when you fear the beast coming back after so long but we don't know what it's like any more not to have a  visit just about every day.

They're your feelings, and I can't control them. I was merely restating what many chronics here have stated themselves. There is absolutely no value judgment in my statement, and nowhere did I say anyone LIKED being chronic. I said they PREFERRED it. I think they'd all say they would LIKE to be pain free.

We could all use a damn break.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2010 at 4:58pm by Brew »  

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #29 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 3:57pm

Hey Joe,

How big is an E tank compared to an M?    I wish I had one small enough to put in my car.  My M tanks are huge and on stands which make them even heavier. 

Jeannie

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #30 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 4:01pm

Jeannie wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 3:57pm:
Hey Joe,

How big is an E tank compared to an M?    I wish I had one small enough to put in my car.  My M tanks are huge and on stands which make them even heavier. 

Jeannie

Can't you order different sizes in the same delivery?

I always tell them I want x M-tanks, y E-tanks, and z D-tanks.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #31 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 4:05pm

I don't know.  My doc arranged for my tanks and he set me up with two M's.  I guess if I asked he might order me a different size.  How much smaller is an E?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #32 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 4:17pm

The E is the long, slender one in the center. The M is the second largest one in the entire picture, just to the right of the E.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #33 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 4:18pm

Don't call your doc - call the supplier. The size of the tank isn't specified in the Rx.

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 4:40pm

Joe got 8 E-tanks from our new supplier Apria. The delivery guy seemed like he would have given me anything I wanted. Plus he gave me this nice rack/stand to put them in. Previously they were all lined up in the garage and to be honest I worried about them falling over, hitting them with the car, etc. This is really nice. Oh and they also gave him a little wheelie cart for the tank he's currently using although Joe just seems to just carry it around rather than use the cart.

I think next time I'll ask about one of those "baby" tanks like Brew carried around the day we visited the Basilica in St. Louis. We actually have an empty tank like that so I'll see if we can get a trade. That is a great size for taking in the backpack for trips to the zoo etc.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #35 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 4:57pm

Christy - That would be a "D" tank (second from the left, in the back).

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #36 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:22pm

Brew, you're pretty handy to have around!   Wink

Christy, I have the stands too.  They are nice ...
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:30pm by Jeannie »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #37 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:27pm

Jeannie wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:22pm:
Brew, you're pretty handy to have around!   Wink

That may be so, but did you call your oxygen supplier yet? Wink

And just so you know, an M-tank will require a CGA-540 regulator, whereas an E-tank will require a CGA-870 regulator, so you might want to let them know that you'll need a regulator to go with the E-tank.

They have different fittings.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:32pm by Brew »  

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #38 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:44pm

Unless I miss my guess, she has a reg that'll fit a med tank.  Wink

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #39 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 10:12pm

Racer1_NC wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:44pm:
Unless I miss my guess, she has a reg that'll fit a med tank.  Wink

I think you might be right, Beeyul, thanks to a handsome man with a southern drawl...  Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2010 at 10:13pm by Jeannie »  

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #40 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:33pm

I have been on Verapamil for 19yrs. I started CH as a chronic and been episodic since the Verap.

I don't have the nerve to change now.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

MikeO
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #41 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:30pm

Jeannie wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:23am:
BTW, I get my energy drinks from Aldi.  They are called Red Thunder and are much cheaper.

Jeannie

Thanks Jeannie!  You guys may laugh, but it was tough trying to pound down a 16oz Monster the other night!  Think I'll stick to the 8oz Red-somethings...

A few other rookie questions for you...

1. My O2 supplier only supplies D and E tanks at $8 each regardless of size.  Just used a whole D tank at work today keeping the beast at bay.  For those that have M tanks at home, are they medical tanks or welding tanks...and if welding, how did you arrange it, how do you store it, and how do you refill?
2.  Did anyone else need a Rx to get your Optimask ordered?  (I lucked out again in that my GP just faxed it to Lifegas!  What a guy!)
3. Bear with me on this one as I'm still trying to calibrate to your lingo...this is regarding the "correct" O2 hit-abort procedure.  I understand the "need for speed"...but often I have a lingering dull background ache most of the day (shadow?), so it's tough to gauge right when a new hit is coming until the first stabs of pain or burning.  After going on 12 lpm O2 for 10 mins, it got me back to the background ache...but never went completely away.  Then when I shut it off, the hit came back about 20 mins later.  Is it your experience that if I just stay on it longer it should go away?  I also tried the 10 min break thing today, and subsequently ran the D tank empty.  This seemed to keep it away for the rest of the day.  Anyway (ramble), just looking for some expert perspective and tips on using O2 the right way without wasting it.  I love not agonizing over whether to break out one of my few remaining Imitrex injections!

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #42 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 12:16am

Unless you have to have the D tanks I would just get E's. It's a little unusual for the O2 shop to not have M's, you may want to make sure your Rx reads home & portable. If it doesn't say home they won't give it to you.

You Could've bought the Optimask right here @ the CH.com store with no Rx.

The best way to abort with O2 is to, sit or stand up straight, no bending over, start at the 1st sign on your highest lpm and hyperventilate the O2, then when the pain is going away turn the flow down and breathe normal, or slowly, for 5-15min. to help with the hit returning. Works for me & others.

I have a medical M-tank, welding comes in similar that you take in and exchange for a full one.

Kick the beasts butt,    Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #43 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 12:35am

Please go to the following link for O2 info. It's the "oxygen info" from the left side of this screen.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #44 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:45am

I'm one of those who gets a return headache within 10-20 minutes of shutting off the 02. I used to take 2 oral cafergot when I startred the oxygen, the 02 would kill it, the cafergot prevented a re attack. At the suggestion of several on the board I now drink a  Red Bull at the start of an attack as I start the oxygen. Going  into the 4th month of a stubborn fu$#%% cycle and so far the red bull is working as well as the cafergot did.

When I use the red bull this way I don't chug it. Christy pours one "on the rocks" when she sees or hears me break out the E-tank. I take swallows between breaths of 02. It's nice cuz it keeps my throat from drying out with the 02. Cuts down on re attacks and oxygen use.

I've also chased 2 "excederin migrain" with a Red Bull to get rid of the shadows. Just don't make that a habit as too many otc meds is just begging for rebound hits. Others use "4Way Nasal Spray" for shadows. That's the name brand of the stuff. I bought some this cycle but haven't had to try it yet.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!