Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi from St. Louis (Read 5586 times)
MikeO
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hi from St. Louis
Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:15pm

Hi folks...just found your site after living with episodic CH going on 25+ yrs (I'm male/46).  Diagnosis back then wasn't a problem b/c my father had them before me.  I watched him go thru all the early treatment regimens like Cafergot and Indocin, but lucky for him, somebody put him on oxygen and life got better until he passed away of cancer.  I've read a ton of stuff on CH and I definitely sympathize with all the emotion and pain in here and on other sites.  I know the pain kicks my ass, but reading some of the posts (suicidal and others) I realize it could be worse for me.  Over the years, my episodes have gone from about 4-8 wks every six or so months, to the current episode, which started two weeks ago after a 3-year remission...long enough to give me a tantalizing sense they were gone for good...what a Beast this thing really is.

Anyway, after a ton of reading, have some observations and a few questions for you pros...
My regimen has typically been continuous 240mg/day Verapamil (in and out of cycles).  At the start of a cycle, I'll typically double the verapamil and add Prednisone starting at 60mg and tapering over 8-9 days, though this cycle I've done it 2x now and only keeps the hits away for the first 4-5 days or so.  I treat hits with std Imitrex 6mg injection, though I try to ration it as I'm running low.  (Yes, I had a stash of three y/o Imitrex that did not go unused...expired or not!)  Imitrex pills are worthless unless I can anticipate the onset and pop one early.  Haven't tried other triptans or O2 yet...but think I will talk to doc about oxygen soon, unless cycle stops soon.

Couple questions:
1.  For those who "double-dip" on Imitrex injection...what care do you take with the statdose syringe between first and second injections?  Alcohol cleaning?  Do you put it back in plastic container and recap it?
2.  I saw a great letter regarding dealing with ins companies about rationing Imitrex prescriptions contrary to doc's requests.  Anyone have any additional compelling stories about convincing insurance cos about CH sufferers being different from migraineurs and needing more?
3.  Anybody have any info on side effects of extended use of prednisone (like for an entire cycle)??
4.  Does anyone else stay on verapamil or other calcium blocker outside of a cycle?  I'm pretty leery of changing anything (if it ain't broke...)
5.  For you oxygen types, for a 2-hit/day guy, what's the right size and number of tanks to keep on hand, and how long does a tank last on average for you?

Thanks for all the great info today.  In one day of reading, I learned what I needed about O2 tricks of the trade, and even may try a red bull if I get a hit tonight.  I still have a kip-4 level ache that has hung around for going on five hours now...starting to make me mad...

Best to all of you!
Mike in STL

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Re: Hi from St. Louis
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:21pm

Hi Mike!

Where in STL are you?  I'm in the city near Ted Drew's.  Welcome to CH.com.   Try a Red Bull for that ache you've got.  We call them shadows and a Red Bull will knock them out for me.  02 is my best friend.  Please look into getting it ASAP!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

MikeO
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:34pm

Thanks Jeannie...I'm in Webster...very close.  Got a wonderful wife who just walked in the door with a RB four-pack...and just gulped one...we'll see!  If only a mini chocolate concrete worked as well!!

IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:36pm

Hey Mike,

Sorry you had the need to find us but welcome to the club that no one wants to be a member of!!!

My advice is to press your doc for the O2....it has been a lifesaver for me since 05 when I found this site.  I have actually quit taking all prevents as a result of O2's effectiveness....although Verapamil lessened the severity of the hits, I always felt like it actually lengthened the cycle and increased the number of hits.  During the 5 week "high cycle" of my last encounter with the beast with hits numbering 8 to 10 every 24 hours, I knocked out all but 7 within 8 to 10 minutes.....those 7 were aborted with some left over Trex that were 4 and 5 years out of date!!!

Although not an option for all, you might want to check out some of the "alternative meds" being used with great success by many at clusterbusters.com.

Welcome Home and may you have some PF time soon!!

Dallas Denny

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:44pm

MikeO wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:15pm:
Couple questions:
1.  For those who "double-dip" on Imitrex injection...what care do you take with the statdose syringe between first and second injections?  Alcohol cleaning?  Do you put it back in plastic container and recap it?

Yep, I do alcohol cleaning, put back in container (recap if taking it on the road)

3.  Anybody have any info on side effects of extended use of prednisone (like for an entire cycle)?

My info on staying on a high dose of Prednisone - like 60 mg a day - is that there's a very good chance it will screw you over permanently.

For life.

Major side effects quite possible, including laying waste to your immune system.. That would be a stunt NOT to pull for CH under pretty much any circumstances IMO. I know because I've been there and done that.

4.  Does anyone else stay on verapamil or other calcium blocker outside of a cycle?  I'm pretty leery of changing anything (if it ain't broke...)

I haven't seen anyone recommending that, have only seen it discouraged here, and I wouldn't do it.

5.  For you oxygen types, for a 2-hit/day guy, what's the right size and number of tanks to keep on hand, and how long does a tank last on average for you?
I'm a more than 2 hit a day guy, but I figure 2 M tanks would do the trick for you at home.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

MikeO
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 11:24pm

Denny and bejeeber...thanks a lot!  Good advice and much appreciated.  During my last physical, my PCP actually asked ME about O2 therapy...so things may be looking up in the world of general pracs and CH!  Shouldn't have to convince him I don't think...

Assuming this works, I sure wouldn't mind cutting back on the amount of drugs I'm popping these days...

All the best to you!
MikeO

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:15am

Welcome to the board! Another strong vote for oxygen here. About to turn 50, about 31 years of episodic CH, just finished a 2 year remission and like you was starting to convince myself the beast had lost my address! No such luck.

I no longer use imitrex, although a always keep it on hand just in case! Finishing a 3 month cycle, was able to abort with oxygen and energy drinks, never had to break out the trex.  Read the oxygen info on the left and chat with the doc.

Welcome home.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:23am

About the 02....   You mentioned that you would get it if this cycle didn't end soon.  I would go ahead and get it either way.  That way you will be prepared the next time.  It truly is an amazing feeling to know that I can abort a hit in about five minutes and not worry about rebounds.  I had gotten to the point where I was afraid to use Trex for fear of more frequent and stronger hits later.  I was just riding them out. 

BTW, I get my energy drinks from Aldi.  They are called Red Thunder and are much cheaper.

Jeannie

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:27am

Quote:
If only a mini chocolate concrete worked as well!!

Okay, are we talking Culver's here?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:46am

Brew wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:27am:
Quote:
If only a mini chocolate concrete worked as well!!

Okay, are we talking Culver's here?

Do you mean you were here in STL and did NOT go to Ted Drew's?????

IP Logged

chrisrobinson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:18am

Bo here from STL.  Live in Maplewood.

Suffering an episode for about a month now.  Been 'borrowing' Imitrex 100mg pills from family for about a month now.  Plus taking a few I had stashed.

I actually chew a half an Imitrex and swallow it with a Red Bull.  Seems to work most of the time.

I go to my doc today.  He treated me last year, Prednisone taper.  5x5;4x4;3x4....

I am hoping he scripts me the pred and the injectable Imitrex today. 

This sucks.

This weekend I might have to go mushroom hunting in Illinois, but that's a last resort. Tongue

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:22am

It should be your first resort. Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:04pm

Hi and welcome Mike,

I sure wish you'd found us in Jan.  We have a yearly get-together and for the last 2 yrs. it's been in St. Louis.  Our last convention was also in St. Louis.  This years convention will be in Atlanta, Ga. in Mid July.

Keep all that in mind if you ever feel like meeting other brain damaged folks like yourself.  11 yrs. ago I travelled from Calif. clear across the U.S. for the first convention and I was kind of scared, but it took me no more than 5 mins. to realize what a life-changing event that was for me.  I cryed talking to people who knew exactly what I was going through...plus there is no funnier, caring group of people that I've ever met.

I've never missed one since. 

Just something to think about.   Wink

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:12pm

Sorry to hear to that you had to get back up to speed.

3. Extended use of Prednisone is not a good idea. Can cause all sorts of complications including but not limited to damage to your imune system, effectiveness of vaccines and ultimately osteoporosis, brittle bones etc., to name but a few. Particularly pertinent to us however is the fact that, the more often we us it, the less effective it gets later to actually work in subsequent episodes of CH. Some would even caution against the use of two tapers during one episode.

4. Verapamil. Many here recommend staying on Verapamil for 2 weeks or so after you feel that your cycle has ended and then see if you are really done. If you are not, get back on quickly.

Wish you many PF days.

IP Logged

chrisrobinson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 1:30pm

Thx. re: Prednisone... its a double edged sword for sure.

This latest round started late February.  2x a day.  Varying levels of hell with a 'shadow' that's lasted a few days now...

I was going to 'ride it out' but am tired of the cycles, plus it cut into quality time with my kids and GF in CHI over the weekend.

I'm mid 40's... none of my friends participate in mushroom partaking anymore...

Too bad I missed the STL conventions...

My heart goes out to everybody here.  CH is the worst.  The absolute worst.  I've noticed now that after I fight one, I am more exhausted than in the past... getting older I guess.

First had these in 1999 in New Mexico... nobody knew what they were.  Catscan, MRI, etc...

I am fortunate... I get a cycle every couple of years.  The cycles last 4-6 weeks.  Alcohol IS A SURE FIRE TRIGGER FOR ME. 

I'd love to sit in my backyard with a cold Guiness and a cigar and enjoy spring... to do so would be quasi suicide right now.

Again, best of luck to everybody, I'm off to the Dr. now.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #15 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 2:10pm

Yeah, cruel how the beast takes my dark beers, my bourbons and merlots away from me while in cycle. Like you it's asking for a real ass kicking! And yeah, as you get older, it does seem to wear me out more, but I've also noticed I don't get the 10's I got in my earlier years.  Good luck at the doc.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 2:34pm

Hi MikeO and welcome!  I'm not too far away on the Illinois side of the river. 

Sounds like you've been given good advice and have a Dr. who is on top of things ch wise (It's kinda like hitting the Dr. lottery).

Again, welcome to ch.com!

Beth

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

chrisrobinson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 4:08pm

Dr. rx'd Prednisone taper as requested...

kind of poo poo'ed the imitrex injections OVER tablets (which he prescribed)...

he knows more than most GPs about CH. 

We spoke of oxygen and he said its frowned upon b/c its an explosive... hard to get, etc.

um, ok.

FWIW, I work in the welding industry.  I have access to O anytime I need it.  To those in STL, I'd think Cee Kay Supply would be friendly.  If not, give me a PM.

So tonight I eat prednisone for dinner... usually knocks me out of a cycle quickly.  Good times.  Good times.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 4:39pm

These f*ckin' brainiac doctors who think oxygen is an explosive.

Oxygen is NOT fuel.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #19 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 7:18pm

A quote from my 'Oxygen Patient Instructions' booklet.

"Oxygen will not explode or burn but will increase the flammability of objects near the concentrated oxygen."

In my opinion your Dr knows next to nothing about treating CH. You need to educate yourself and the Dr, if you want proper treatments. Rather than admit a lack of knowledge about O2 this Dr has given you false information. Let alone the Imitrex.

Telling you oxygen is explosive is close to malpractice to me. Forgive me but this makes me angry.

Best of Luck, Don
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2010 at 7:44pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #20 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 9:11pm

"I'm mid 40's... none of my friends participate in mushroom partaking anymore... "

If they were clusterheads maybe they would.  I am in my forties too, I just got more friends.  They help a lot.

--Shaggy

IP Logged

MikeO
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #21 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 2:11pm

Wow...just checked back after a day and look at the replies!  You guys are all awesome!  Really feels good to talk the talk with those who walk the walk (or dance the dance!)

I really must have hit the doc lottery as you said...just got a call out of the blue from the O2 supply house here in STL who told me they already got a call from my doc...have the prescription for 12-15 lpm with NRB mask (I did have to explain that and showed them the info on this site!)...and wanted to know when they could deliver the whole setup to my house!  Good stuff!  Only downside (as usual) is insurance...
O2 house says my insurance will pay for the regulator only...and I have to pay $8 a bottle and max size they stock is E-tanks...also have to buy the NRB mask.  Compared to trex restrictions though, this seems a bargain cost on a per hit basis!

Thanks again you guys...glad to have found you!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #22 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 3:00pm

If they say O2 is $8 a bottle through your insurance, ask them what their cash price is. I'll bet you can get it for half that.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #23 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 3:19pm

I pay 10.00 per e-tank.  WITH Ins. it would have been 42.00   My opinion is that 8.00 per tank is a good price.  A regular non-rebreather should not cost you anymore than 3.00  and that will be o.k. until you can afford a GOOD one.

Visit the ch.com store over in the links to the left and you will see what I am talking about.  It is the Cadillac of masks.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

melissa76767
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 11:46pm

Hi
I am also from Saint Louis.  I am 31 years old and have been dealing with this since I was 16.  I don't have a lot of time to talk right now, but I did want to mention the Ryan's headache clinic.  They know everything about CH and make people with CH a priority.  I am so glad I found them!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!