Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I increase O2 dosage? (Read 2677 times)
macjob79
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Should I increase O2 dosage?
Mar 28th, 2010 at 5:57pm

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday my oxygen tanks/concentrator was delivered to my home. The man who delivered it said my prescription was for 2L/m. In reading the information from this site, it seems like this is way too low! He said I shouldn't increase it without doctor's orders. What do you guys think? I will call my doctor tomorrow but I have a feeling tonight will be as bad as any other night. Is it dangerous to increase the dosage on my own?! My concentrator only goes up to 5L/m anyways, and it doesn't seem that this is the optimal tool anyways. Also, I don't have the mask, they gave me the nostril inhalation method. Everything is covered under insurance so it shouldn't be a problem to change equipment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2010 at 5:58pm by macjob79 »  

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Should I increase O2 dosage?
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:17pm

Send it back. It's worthless.

Potter

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:20pm

Check out the 'oxygen info' button on the left.

You need a minimum of 15lpm and a nonrebreather mask.....

Sorry but what you have isn't what you need.

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 7:03pm

What Jackie said!

Do yourself a favor......read the o2 link, you will be glad you did. Self education is so important.

Iddy

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

macjob79
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 7:17pm

I did read the link, that's why I was asking. I know it sounds like it wouldn't work, but last night I felt two headaches coming on, and the tanks surprisingly did work. The 3rd one though, not so much, and it was horrible. I will talk to my doctor tomorrow and let her know what this site is saying. Thanks everyone!

IP Logged

macjob79
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:39pm

I have another question. I appreciate any help on this. My tank has the ability to go to 15L/m. Is it safe for me when they prescribed me 2L/m? I just don't know how dangerous it is to assume it's ok.

IP Logged

NovellRed
CH.com Junior

x0|San Diego|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:03pm

It's not going to hurt you. Max that baby out @ 15 lpm

IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:42pm

For sure MAX it out....you got really lucky as most folks who get a low flow script only get a 8 lpm regulator....crank it up and let the magic begin!!!

Dallas Denny

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:54pm

I agree with the others but the nasal canula is a probelm. You can't get 100% O2 from them, they let in outside air.

In a pinch you can put the tubes in your mouth, clamp down on it and breathe only pure O2, hold your nose to block outside air.

Best of Luck,  Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:31am

Hey welcome to the board! You're on the right track with the 02, but kinda driving a fixer upper for now! Wink

For the 02 therapy to work, you've gotta get 100% oxygen into your lungs. No outside air, no exhaled air. You will be amazed at how fast and complete an abort you'll get when you crank up the 02.

I use a demand regulator, similar to a SCUBA set up. Where I suck right off the mouth piece, getting pure 02, exhale and go at it again. You can accomplish the same thing using a Non Re Breather Mask, (critical, the nasal canulas and re breather masks are inefficient at getting you the concentration of 02 you need) , and a high flow regulator, at LEAST 15 LPM. Read the oxygen info link on the left and print out the info for your doc.

Good luck!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 1:01am

Order one of the $27.50 O2PTIMASK™ kits from the CH.com store tab at the left.  They're great and well worth it.

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Megan102
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Rogers, Arkansas
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 1:01pm

macjob79 wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 7:17pm:
I did read the link, that's why I was asking. I know it sounds like it wouldn't work, but last night I felt two headaches coming on, and the tanks surprisingly did work. The 3rd one though, not so much, and it was horrible. I will talk to my doctor tomorrow and let her know what this site is saying. Thanks everyone!

My husband is new to the O2 and the low rates from a machine worked for him in the beginning.  But it started taking longer and he wasn't getting as much relief.  He's now set up with a tank up to 15lpm and a nrb mask.  He is getting relief for now.  It's still not the ideal setup, but we're working on that.

My recommendation is to get the right setup now.  You can always use the lower flows if they work, but will be prepared if they quit working.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 2:16pm

Yeah I should have mentioned there are a few on the board who can abort at lower rates, I think there is one guy who aborts at 7 LPM.

But like Megan said, get set up with at least 15 LPM NOW. That way if the lower flow rate stops working, you need merely crank up the volume and try again. Save you new appointments as we all know what a pain in the butt it can be to get an appointment this century when you're hurting!!!!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:37pm

You have gotten some good advice already.  I would echo Joe and Batch on this, particularly Batch on the O2ptimask.  It makes a tremendous difference, but at 2lpm it won't even blow up the bag.

My suggestion is when you go see your Dr to ask for a 25lpm script.  If you don't need that much you don't have to use it, but when you find you need it it is a lot easier than fighting the battle all over again.  Some will tell you you can't breath it that fast, but I can tell you when getting hit with an upper level Kip I'll suck the bag flat and be gasping to get more.  I can also tell you that since I got the O2ptimask and 25lpm I can kill a hit within 5-8 minutes as opposed to 15+ at 15lpm.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

macjob79
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 12:13pm

This is all information that I couldn't get anywhere else. Thank you so much for everything! New equipment is on its way with a minimum of 15lpm and a nrb mask! I can't wait. Well, I can wait actually. It was wierd when I called my doctor and basically told her what she needed to prescribe. She seemed pleasantly surprised and happy to oblige. I'm the only patient she has ever had with clusters and she's been in practice for over 20 years. Maybe this will help someone else in the future if she's ever their pcp.

I can't thank you all enough, especially Batch, your help is so appreciated.

-Guy who has gone 2 nights (knocking on wood) in a row with uninterrupted sleep!  Grin

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 12:18pm

One thing to check when you get the equipment - make sure they don't give you a PARTIAL rebreather mask (one that has holes on the one side that don't have a diaphragm to cover them on inhalation). If you do get one and the driver doesn't have a full non-rebreather (diaphragms on both sides), you can tape over the holes for the time being.

Until you order the O2ptimask from the ch.com store, that is. Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!