Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Job in Jeopardy???? HELP! (Read 6987 times)
Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Job in Jeopardy???? HELP!
Reply #25 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:26am

Quote:
I noticed that most of you who are taking lithium with success are taking the verapamil as well?

I have had success with both separately, but in my darkest days they only worked together. It's called the "chronic cocktail" for a reason, and it was always the 1-2 punch for me.

Prepare to be tired all the time, however. And realize that it takes a good 10 days to 2 weeks for both to build up to therapeutic levels in the blood.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #26 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 10:14am

I have always taken lithium by itself as a prevent and it has worked great. Hoping it proves as effective for you. You'll know in about 10-14 days. Crossing my fingers for you.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Reply #27 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:26pm

Back to work today after being out for almost 3 weeks. As I am running out of paid time to use. I am however getting a little bit more relief now thanks to my WONDERFUL CH.COM FAMILY. I am taking 900mg of lithium and 100mg of topamax daily and have not used a trex shot in over a week and a half(longest ever). Still take 50mg trex pill from time to time but mostly using O2 to abort. Anyway, kind of nervous about going back to work because, the last time I was there I got hit three times, the last one being right in my managers office so it could really freak him out good; but it did make him understand a little bit better. Anyhow, wish me luck. I'll be back in the morning to tell ya how it went.
Couldn't have done it without alll of you! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

Pfunk Cool

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

x0|Marysville|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #28 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 3:12pm

Pfunk, sorry I didn't see this sooner ... I guess I was experiencing techincal headache difficulties.  Smiley  I'm glad you got on the FMLA.  I'm off on that for the time being as well, and while they might be talking about me at work ... I really don't care.  While I'm off, I'm concentrating on getting back on track, and that's all I'm thinking about.  Hang in there.  I did see someone suggest a higher O2 flow.  I can attest that 15 lpm was doing next to nothing for me.  It took 1/2 hour to abort only to get another headache withing the hour.  I've since switched to the 25 LPM and am having amazing results.  I also stay on the o2 after the headache is gone for about 15 minutes on a lower flow rate.  This prevents the subsequent headaches from coming back.  Good luck to you, and enjoy the vacation (well, not really a vacation ... but a much needed rest).  Smiley

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
topnoodle  
IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #29 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 7:06pm

pfunk,

Ask your doctor for samples of Zyprexa.  While they make me tired and groggy, they work great for me and I sleep well too.  I use it as my last resort when Maxalt and Oxygen dont work a night. 

I wish you pain free days and a successful transition back to work soon.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #30 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 8:56am

Once again, thanks to everyone for the well wishes. As for the first day back to work. It went off without a hitch(or HIT) you might say. The night was pretty uneventful. Yesterday was the first HA free day I've had in 2 months. I'm having some stomach issues but as I understand, it will probably just go away as my stomach adjusts to the higher dosage of lithium. However, it is just one day. But I'll take even one PF day any time.
I have to say that it awesome to have such an incredible support group/FAMILY to count on in times like this. You guys truly are incredible!

Much Luv and PF Wishes,
Pfunk Cool

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #31 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 6:28pm

Some jobs are better about this than others.  Id suggest having a 1 on 1 with your direct supervisor about this and then maybe with someone in HR to see what thaty suggest.  I did this with my boss and it got me a lot of wiggle room... when it got to be too much she then suggested I go the FMLA route.  FMLA can be handy especially if the employer doesn't want to work with you.  You don't have to use FMLA in blocks.  My doctor set mine up to be intermittent for 1/4 hr to 1 day at a time for up to 20 occurrances per month.  This means I could take off as little as 1/4 hr or as much as an entire month, up to 3 months at a time and be fully protected, though unpaid, but have to notify my employer every day.  If you have it set up for longer blocks of time you wouldnt need to notify as much.  I find this very handy given the nature of the CH beast.  Basicially you need to initiate the FMLA process with your HR department.  They'll give you a form to have your doctor fill out.  The doctor needs to complete this.  Your HR deparment will then either accept it, or if they dont like that you're doing it, look for something wrong and fight it, but stay the course and you'll be fine.  Get them everything they need, and on time, and it'll cover you.  Then be sure to renew it before it expires by having your doctor sign off again.  It'll become procedure after a while.  Your job isn't protected, but a job is protected.  Usually this means your job is protected... they can put you doing something similar if it was essential to have someone else complete your tasks.  There is also federal and state FMLA.  In WI they run concurrently, but the State resets on January 1st, while the Federal resets on a rotating calendar.  That means if you first use your Federal FMLA on July 1 and exhaust it by November 1 (your State will be gone too because it's concurrent), the State will reset and become available on Jan 1 while the Federal wont come back around until November 1 as you used it.  In WI I think the State is 1 or 2 wks vs the 3 months of Federal, so it is a way of adding a couple more weeks in a way.  Check your State's laws for details.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #32 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:23pm

2 days at work now witout a hit. I seem to be gettin a bit of something right about now but as I am able to type this message it is not that horrible and is easing off on its own.
Fram, as, for the zyprexa, is it used as preventative or abort? My doc is pretty open to any suggestion I give so I'm gonna suggest it tomorrow. Thanks

Pfunk Cool

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #33 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:49pm

Zyprexa (olanzapine) is used as an abortive.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #34 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 12:44pm

Brew wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:49pm:
Zyprexa (olanzapine) is used as an abortive.

Thank You! I will mention it to him today! Brew thanks a bunch man! Your posts have been overly helpful during this worst cycle I have ever had. It means alot. Love ya!

Pfunk Cool

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #35 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 1:50pm

You betcha. Wink

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #36 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 10:40pm

So happy you've gotten this thing under control pfunk!

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #37 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 2:41am

tonight was 3rd night back at work with no hits. Last night sleeping was pretty bad 3 or 4 hits but o2 did the job. You guys really have been an incredible help. They are even being overly accommodating at work. Maybe it was the little "lawsuit" word that was dropped when when we were having problems with my FMLA and my getting paid. I dunno Grin.

Much Luv and PF Wishes,
Pfunk

IP Logged

OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

x0|Marysville|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #38 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 10:09am

Oh, I'm so glad things are working out for you !   Smiley

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
topnoodle  
IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #39 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 12:59pm

Still gettin hit from time to time at night when sleepin. But ca  deal with 1 or 2 hits a lot better than 9 or ten. Also, not gettin hit while I'm workin is a benefit as well. My store manager has agreed to let me keep my E-tank in the back office away from everything and out of the way so if I do get hit I can go there and be alone. Pretty stoked that the daytime hits seem to have gone by the wayside. Few stragglers here and there. But, all-in-all, things seem to be lookin up a bit.

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #40 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 11:40am

Something is workin here! Cause I had another PF day yesterday. Well, a few shadows but nothin serious. And things got pretty hectic at work last night so I was prepared for the the beast to roll right in with all the other problems that arose. But it never happened. Don't know exactly what it is because I have changed so many things but I am counting my blessings. Thanks again to ALL!!!!

Pfunk Cool

IP Logged

horsegirl
CH.com Veteran

Cluster Headaches

x0||USA||0|0|IA,Iowa
Reply #41 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 11:30pm

I read the whole 2 pages and this is my 4th post today , still on to much predisone evidently. It seems things are looking up for you . Everyone was right on in there help. I was curious , you work overnights right , I've had clusters for bout 30 years now , twice I worked overnights , both times for a couple years , It seemed like that shift really screwed with me , I was having more hits and at all different times then usual, I don't know , just something to consider.  wishing you the best

IP Logged

Curtice
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #42 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 1:38am

hope all is well today my name is Curtice and have been pf for over 2 1/2 yrs. until last week. Lots of advice that i've read seems to be working for those who are posting, but as for me a trip to my doc to get a shot in my occipital nerve works everytime. Never had more than 2 shots in 2 weeks and no more ch. I do take some meds daily alprazaloam and robaxin but during the 25 yrs that I have had them I always thought I found a remedy only to realize that they just went away. Caffeine makes them more intense, Ice has the same result. I try to stay calm and walk around some but the best remedy, while I wait to get in to see my doc is to have my wife lightly rub a wet washrag on my back and neck almost tickling my back or just use her hand. It has to be dark, quiet and cool.  If you can get the tenseness out of your back and neck (I describe it as chills up and down my back, roll your shoulders) my pain never gets worse than a 4-5 and will be gone within 10-15 min. but it all depends how far along it is when you start. The hardest thing is to stay Calm and control your breathing. Before I was married it was tough, 6-8 a day sometimes lasting up to 2-3 hrs non-stop. No one to help.
But now I think stress is a major trigger, alcohol is also a trigger and the biggest trigger of all for me is cigarette smoke and certain perfumes or colognes. I smoked for 15 yrs but I quit in '97 and the frequency and severity have decreased dramatically. I'm only having 2-3 per day@ 5-5:30P.M. and 2 am and 5am (just like an alarm clock) but they only last 20-30 mins. max. with the help of my wife and staying calm.
I usually don't have any hits as long as I am working or moving around but when I try to relax, sleep or talk about my ch's is when I'm most suseptible to another round.
Take care hopefully your cycle is over but you might check into trigger point inj. I can give you info of my doc. which is a vascular surgeon that gives me the shots if you need it but he is in Oklahoma. He told me not may docs do this procedure because they do not understand ch's and he is the only one I know that gives them. Sorry so long but so much to say maybe something will help. I DO KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE, UNBEARABLE!!!  My quote after wards is "I feel alot more like I do now than I did" Smiley
Since I am new to this site as of y'day there is a post on the guest book site with my e-mail if you need any info. at all. 
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2010 at 1:58am by Curtice »  

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #43 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 11:28am

In reply to Horsegirl. I actually am on a 4pm-1am shift though I have only been on that shift now since about a week before this most recent cycle started. I'm thinkin that the drastic change in my sleep may be what ultimately triggered this. I had been HA free for 2years and had worked all 3 shifts at this company but this one doesn't seem to be agreein with me.
I have been HA free for 2 days now. not even a nighttime hit! Cheesy

Pfunk

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!