Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Job in Jeopardy???? HELP! (Read 7005 times)
Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Job in Jeopardy???? HELP!
Mar 27th, 2010 at 12:35pm

Hello all. I recently had a two year break from the beast but mow he's back worse than ever. Responsive to almost no meds. Oxygen may work one time but not the next. I tried the pred taper which usually slows it with no success. Verapamil seems to be triggering a hit every time I take it so I have started back on topomax with which I had some success but it gave me kidney stones.
I am getting hit 6-8 times a day as opposed to 2-3 times in the past. I can take trex but no matter what the beast returns 1-2 hours later. I've tried the lemonade and calcium citrate and probably drink 2-3 gallons of water daily.
In the last week and a half, I have missed work 3 times and have left early 3 times as well. I spent last night in the ER as i had taken so much meds with no success that I had no other options.
I am an inventory supervisor at Wal-Mart and have been with the company for 3 years. That said, I am starting to feel that because I am missing so much, I may be now be at risk of losing my job.
Are there any other options that I need to explore(surgery,etc.)? I can't afford to be without work as I have to support my family and don't see disability being a possible option as I've been denied in the past.
I'm at my wit's end and very frustrated/confused!

Pfunk

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

demonh8r
CH.com Junior

Never quit fightin

Ohio
Re: Job in Jeopardy???? HELP!
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 12:57pm

Yeah, I've heard Wal-Mart can be brutal on their employees for missing work.
Hopefully the vets will chime in and give you some advice.
All I can tell you is to try to find a good neuro, and spend your free/painfree time educating yourself. This message board has helped me quite a bit.
Hang in there.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 1:02pm

How long and at what dosage have you taken prednisone and for how long have you been taking Verapamil concurrently? Given that you have had a two year break I take it you have previously always been episodic?

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 1:19pm

Pfunk,
Couple of things and don't know if they will be helpful or not.  I know you're one of the *oldtimers* (just don't post much) so you probably know the ropes already.

Can you afford to take short term disability?  I know that's not necessarily a good answer, but it may be better than losing your job.  Maybe that way, you would have a chance to get your headaches under control.  Do you have any vacation time?

Bad thing about it is, Wal Mart is getting worse and worse every day (I'm a merchandiser and have 10 of them and the changes aren't good for anybody, employee or consumer).

Good luck.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 1:31pm

If you haven't tried Lithium as a prevent you might talk with the doc. It's been very effective for me for many years. Supposed to be more effective for chronics but I'm episodic and it works for me!

Don't get thrown by the Hollywood stereotype of the drooling mouth breathing zombie. We take it at doses where you hardly even know you're on it.

Hoping you get a break soon buddy, high cycles really suck. Cry

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 1:36pm

Have you tried O2 at very high flow, like 40 lpm?

Have you tried a long half life Triptan like Amerge or (2) Frova's?

Are you using normal release or SR Verapamil?

Have you asked your Doc about increasing the dosage.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 1:46pm

lithium would be my first recomendation then elavil and zyprexa.  I would take a recomended leave of abcence from work signed by a dr.  I know walmart is terrible.  But try to stay optimistic.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 11:18pm

Info needed:

Dosage amounts?

# Days in cycle?

Your Pred taper should have been like 60mg to 50mg to 40mg etc.. daily and you shouldn't have gotten hit until the end of the 20mg or 10mg day as you were coming off of it.

As for Topamax and the kidney stones, you can use Uriflow. It's not the world's greatest solution nor fail safe, but lots of people find it works for them by creating the right "kidney climate" to keep the stones from forming or passing them painlessly enough.

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 1:32am

Thank you to all for your input so far. And Delta Darlin, you're right, I am the same Pfunk that has been lurking around Ch.com since about 2000. As for the reason I am listed as a CH Junior, I had some computer issues a while back and my profile got deleted. I got in contact with DJ and he was gracious enough as always to help me get set back up though I still had to start from scratch.
Delta D', I have and still am considering the leave of absence option at work. I have about 7 days of sick time left to use and 6 days of vacation time. The thing is that Walmart changes their policies like I change my socks so I have to make sure I do it straight by the book. I am thinking about taking leave for about a week after this pay period and saving some of my time. I don't want to use up all my time at once and still be in cycle. Then I'd be left taking time off without pay.
As for some of the other info asked for. I have been back in cycle now since Feb 13. 3 more days and I would have gone exactly 2 years PF. As soon as I started feeling so much as shadows, I went to the doc and started my meds. 720 mg verap., kudzu, oxygen, imitrex, etc. My cycle normally lasts 3-6 months but it's different this year as they started in  Feb rather than Oct and the number of hits is greatly increased as well as the intensity(never less than k7-8). I am on my 2nd pred taper(final day) and had no success at all with it this go round.
I have recently stopped the verapamil and started back on the topamax as I seem to be getting hit every single time I take verap. 125 mg a day of top. Only been 2 days now and the kidney stones came the last time I tried it. So I'm giving it another shot and taking all the precautions possible to avoid the stones this time.
The lithium is something I have yet to try. But it sounds promising as I have read so much about others and their success with it. My doc is usually very good and open to exploring new options. How much and how often should I take it? I am more than willing to give it a shot as , if there is even the slightest chance of even one less hit, it was at least somewhat successful.
Thanks again to all!
Much Luv and PF Wishes Cool
Pfunk
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2010 at 1:36am by Pfunk »  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 2:41am

I wonder if you should try gulping an energy drink right before your O2? Some say it really helps the O2 work better and longer.

If I was in your situation, I'm sure I'd be pursuing the ClusterBusters route. Have you seen those very encouraging preliminary findings just released by Dr. halpern at Haravard Medical? Brings some mainstream legitimacy to it, not to mention the new Newsweek aricle on the subject.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 7:59am

Pfunk - Another thing to consider is that sometimes verapamil and lithium work wonders in combination with each other, where either one alone doesn't do shit. This was the case with me for awhile.

When I was taking both, I was on 480mg verapamil and 900mg lithium each per day. Got rid of the pain like a charm. Your doc will want you to have regular lab monitoring of lithium level and kidney function - each person is different as the line between therapeutic and toxic can be a fine one.

That said, I highly recommend the clusterbuster route.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

angela40
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:01am

Can you apply for intermittent FMLA?

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:34am

The FMLA has been suggested but I am unclear how to go about it. In the past, I have always worked for myself or for my family so never was at risk of losing my job when things got tough. But with the economy being what it is we had to close our businesses and I am faced with this issue for the first time. Any help or info that anyone can offer on this topic would be greatly appreciated as I am totally new to it. Smiley

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:44am

I contacted a human resources manager, had her send me the paperwork for intermittent FMLA, which then has to be completed by your doc and sent back to human resources. They then make a determination as to whether or not you're eligible, but I don't think it's a real high hurdle to clear.

Edited to add: Just to be clear, your company does not have to ensure your particular job will be there when you return. Only that a comparable job is offered. It depends on how long you're out, and I'm not sure of those parameters. I have yet to invoke the FMLA as I've been using vacation and personal time.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:46am by Brew »  

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 11:37am

Also, if you're not using your sick/vacation time, you're still not coming out on top, since there is no pay involved when using FMLA.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:08pm

Hey Pfunk.  Some great advise has been given so far.  There is one other thing you should look into.

Get your Testerone level checked.  If it's low, Testerone therapy may help.  It has certainly help some other folks around here.

I got mine tested and was shocked to find out that it was very low.  I've been using Testerone Gel therapy for two months and I'm skating PF through what should be a cycle right now.

Good luck with the beast and the employer.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:49pm

As far as dosing with the lithium, it's based to some degree on your body size but also on how your body processes lithium.

First time I went on it we did 300 mg for a few days, blood draw, 600 mg for a few days, blood draw, then 900 and blood draw. Settled at 900 mg as a good blood level for me. For many years that worked great. Have since had to kick it up to 1200 mg a day to get relief. Now I just ramp up to 1200 mg over a 10 day period, after I've been on it a few weeks I go in for blood work.

As high as that sounds it's very low compared to those who take it for bi-polar issues. You'll find you pee like a 9 month pregnant woman.......very often!  Smiley The lethargy you get is easily defeated by a cup or two of coffee.

As Brew mentioned, the CH Cocktail of verapamil AND lithium has been effective for some who found neither med helpful by itself.

Hang in there.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 5:10pm

The only reason I suggested the topamax is because you know it worked before - even if it means upping the dosage and waiting it out to the 4 week mark that it takes for it reach full blood plasma concentration levels in some patients.

If you can get the verapamil to work, more power to you.

I'm just not understanding why you're not responsive to a prednisone taper - that's perplexing, and troubling. Also, the imitrex should be aborting these within 15 minutes after the shot allowing you to work with just some "breaks" most any reasonable employer would allow - akin to insulin shot.

Verapamil or Topamax dosage not being or at the right levels in the blood yet i could understand, but imitrex and O2 not aborting is worrying me.

Have you been taking any other painkillers or narcotics for the pain? I suspect withdrawl headaches of some sort instead of actual clusters.

IP Logged

napa1026
CH.com Newbie

I Love CHs

Antioch
Reply #18 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 8:10pm

Check into the FMLA, I am a supervisor and deal with it all the time. We do allow people to use their leave time, so they get paid while off. To be eligible, you must have worked the equivalent of 1280 hours in the last 12 months. Your doctor will be familiar with this paper work and you would most likely be an intermittent user of the FMLA. I would be intermittent for an undermined time and have to be reevaluated at the employers reasonable request. I have employees update the FMLA with the doctor every year. Your case is absolutely worthy of FMLA in my opinion. I work for the state of California, so wal-mart may interpret the law different. Please look it up on line and ask your employers human resource person.
If an employee is on FMLA, I am unable to discuss absences in the employees evaluation. I am unable to take action against the employee for absences. The max time that an employee can take using FMLA is 12 weeks in one year. The employees I am referring to are union represented, so I follow the law of FMLA to the letter. Per our policy where I work, as a supervisor, I am required to contact an employee and offer a FMLA packet to an employee if he or she has been out of work due to illness in excess of 2 days.
Best of luck to you and hope for pain free days soon.

Steve

IP Logged

Buzz-Hog
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

it depends, but mostly mentor
Reply #19 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 8:43pm

I wish I had more help to give than sympathy but it's just not the case.  I quit /got fired from my job almost three years ago.  I just cannot promise anyone I can be there from 8 to 4:30 everyday.  Luckily I can take my trade and find my own work on my own schedule to stay afloat(and believe me that's about all I do).  I don't know what I would do if I had a family to support though.  I will tell you that my friends and family like having an out of work carpenter around, as they are currently my biggest customer base. 
     Else wise I live on o2 and red bull.  Together they pack a hell of a ko punch.  After to many in a day it leaves me feeling sick but functionable.  I have order taurine supplements and am waiting their arrival.  As soon as I have more info on how it worked for me you will all be the first to know.
    So much easier said than done but keep your head.
               Buzz

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 8:50pm

Have you tried Zyprexa (samples)?  It is an anti-psychotic but it works good for many as an abortive.

Lithium is also a good idea.

Higher flow O2 (more than 15 lpm)

New mask for O2 (they sell good ones here)

Energy drinks (caffeine AND taurine) at first sign at work (WalMarts have them!!!)

There is a new triptan that is air released. (samples)

These are some ideas.  (samples) means that many docs have samples of these you can try.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 2:03am

Doc filled out all the paperwork for LOA today and I turned it in at work. Only got hit 3 times rather than 6-7. Going back to appt. with doc Thurs or Fri to ask him about possibly getting started on the lithium. The store manager still has to approve LOA before I can start to use any vacation or sick leave.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #22 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 7:36am

Pfunk wrote on Mar 30th, 2010 at 2:03am:
Doc filled out all the paperwork for LOA today and I turned it in at work. Only got hit 3 times rather than 6-7.

Well, there you go. Having your doctor fill out paperwork reduces the frequency of cluster headaches. Grin

IP Logged

jlcalbre
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Reply #23 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 9:12am

Brew wrote on Mar 30th, 2010 at 7:36am:
Pfunk wrote on Mar 30th, 2010 at 2:03am:
Doc filled out all the paperwork for LOA today and I turned it in at work. Only got hit 3 times rather than 6-7.

Well, there you go. Having your doctor fill out paperwork reduces the frequency of cluster headaches. Grin

Don't laugh.  For many years I swear my Neuro's office was a trigger and cure for my headaches.  I could be in remission for over a year and show up for my yearly check up and that afternoon I would get hit.  On the other side, I could get hit daily for weeks and the day I set foot in my docs office, they just stop. Has happened so many times it is a little creepy.

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 12:01am

So, yesterday I put in for my LOA. And I am now on leave for at least the next two weeks. As soon as I walked out the door of the backroom, my direct supervisor, who actually holds exactly the same position that i do, starts talking trash about me to my crew. She told them that by the time i come back, my job will no longer be there and I will have to take a lower paying job. As soon as she said it two of the guys went on break and called me to make sure I was aware of what she was trying to do.
I told them not to worry about it as I just kind of laughed it off myself. First of all, I've already spoken to a lawyer today about it and FMLA states that I am allowed 12 weeks of medical leave before I can be replaced. And if when I come back, I still can not medically perform my job duties they have to give me a job with comparable and benefits. I have also already spoken to HR about her and she can get in a lot of trouble if she has already started trying to replace me(even as far as losing her own job). She obviously thought I wasn't going to do my homework. Wink
So thank you to all of you who have offered help in this matter. Everything posted has been extremely helpful. I hope to be going back to the doc on Friday to speak with him about getting me started on the lithium. Do I need to start the verapamil back as well(since I stopped taking it when I started taking topamax) as I noticed that most of you who are taking lithium with success are taking the verapamil as well? Topamax worked well for me in the past but I've only been back on  it for a week and a half and don't believe the level that is in my blood so far is enough to make a therapeutic difference as of yet.
The lithium,though, is something that I'm really interested in trying as I have never taken it before and I seem to be hearing lots of success stories about it.
Much Luv and PF Wishes-
Pfunk

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!