Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tizanidine (Read 1688 times)
LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Tizanidine
Mar 26th, 2010 at 4:43pm

Anybody take this with success for CH's?

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Re: Tizanidine
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 6:51pm

I had to look that one up!  Not a clusterhead myself, but I'm not seeing where it would help the actual headache itself  (might work wonders for my migraines though if it didn't cause liver damage).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 10:10pm

Haven't heard of that one  - it is billed as a 'muscle relaxant' but a quick scan of the literature shows it also seems to interfere with neuropathic pain, spasms, and other things. It also interferes with excitatory amino acid like glutamate (which Namenda does) .... not really sure if it would help or not.

It has been used on trigeminal neuralgia, but its effectiveness for that is not clearly established..
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2010 at 10:12pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 5:15am

Not much literature on the use with CH. A VERY small clinical trial seems to have been conducted on chronic CH patients. Found an excerpt and a site where the full text is available.

"Tizanidine for Chronic Cluster Headache"
Roberto D'Alessandro, MD
Institute of Clinical Neurology Via Ugo Foscolo 7 40123 Bologna, Italy

Franco Granella, MD
Parma, Italy

Arch Neurol. 1996;53(11):1093.

Since this article does not have an abstract, we have provided the first 150 words of the full text PDF and any section headings.

"The treatment of chronic cluster headache is based on a few proven drugs, namely lithium salts, corticosteroids, methysergide maleate, and verapamil hydrochloride.1 However, some patients do not stop having attacks, despite treatment with 1 or more of these drugs. More recently, transdermal clonidine was proposed as a possible effective and safe treatment.2 This drug may act by reducing the sharp fluctuations of the sympathetic nervous system occurring during the attacks,3 by inhibiting the central sympathetic pathway. Tizanidine, an imidazoline derivative, usually used as a central muscle relaxant, is structurally similar to clonidine and seems to act through central 2-receptor agonistic activity.4 We treated 5 consecutive patients with chronic cluster headache resistant to previous treatments with tizanidine as add-on therapy. Results are summarized in the Table. In 3 patients the attacks ceased and any other treatment was discontinued, in 1 there was a marked reduction . . . [Full Text PDF of this Article]

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 3:50pm

When I see only one article and that from 1996--I call
it a dead fish.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:55am

Bob Johnson wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 3:50pm:
When I see only one article and that from 1996--I call it a dead fish.

I dunno - I think lots of promising leads get abandoned because of funding issues. CH isn't a high research priority.  I'm not saying this med is  great (or worthless) for CH .... just that we don't really know.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:45pm

Interesting that, though the sample is very small, as an add on therapy it seemed to help some chronic patients.

The med appears to display similar properties to Topamax and may be something that works for some who show adverse effects to Topamax as add-on or combo. Perhaps worth discussing with your doc. Tizanidine does find more regular use in Migraine prevent, it appears.

But as Bob says, why did nobody, if no the author himself, run with it in the past 15 years?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!