Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sumavel Air injections- Feedback? (Read 6241 times)
Ripblade
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Sumavel Air injections- Feedback?
Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:21am

Hiya gang,
On day #17 of pain.  I have always used Imitrex injections...they have almost always worked for me.  However just saw my neurologist and he prescribed me Sumavel DosePro instead.
This device shoots a concentrated air blast of Sumatriptan under your skin....without a needle....wild !!!
Well I would like to know if anyone has tried this.  Any feedback pos/neg would help me.
I used it for first time yesterday.  It scared the heck out of me when I used it.  Headache was relieved in 8 mins.
Talk to me ppl....let me know what you think of this.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Sumavel Air injections- Feedback?
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 10:42am

My new neuro gave me 2 "samples" of those when I saw him in January. Just finishing a cycle....well I think I'm finishing... 3 rogue hits in 2 days so we'll see....and I didn't have a need to try them. Oxygen carried me and I was never caught with a hit without a tank nearby. They're sure funky looking compared to the old Imitrex stat dose! Glad to hear it worked for you, I've been keeping one at work and one in my car for emergencies!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 1:16pm

This technique is not new. The USAF was using a commercial version in the 1960s for mass immunization. Found it painless and fast.

I'm not sticking my finger in you eye with this comment: On Feb 26, I posted an abstract on the Sumavel device. I expected a lot of reads and some comments, given the # of folks using Imitrex, and so was quite surprised that only 80 people read it and not one responded. Human nature is often interesting to observe and not easy to understand! <bg>

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

XOMR
CH.com Junior

HE Who Gets Headaches

Oakland, CA
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 5:08pm

Went to the doctor today and was given a sample. I am excited to try it. He wants me to try it to see what kind of relief I get. Depending on the results he is going to put me on Oxygen or keep with the Sumavel.

Also some literature and a coupon came with it; asking for my doctor and I to take a survey after treatment. Seems to me that Zogenix, the manufacturer, is trying to compete with GlazoSmithKline, manufacturer's of Imitrex.

I'm anxious to see how it works and if it works. If it does, great! If not I'm very happy knowing O2 is on standby.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:15pm

XOMR wrote on Apr 1st, 2010 at 5:08pm:
................................ Depending on the results he is going to put me on Oxygen or keep with the Sumavel............................

Are you saying it will be one or the other?

For many of us, using O2 provides the first line of defense, then a Triptan as a backup.

Just a thought.

Marc

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:33pm

I second Marc! 02 is first round....resort to the triptans  only when it's clear the 02 is losing. Cheaper, no mess, no after effects!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 12:59am

Should be your spare tire.....use only if you run out of AIR!

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:53am

I was at NECH yesterday for an appointment with Dr. Sheftell.

He asked my opinion and voiced the same sentiments....

It's most likely a weak tool for clusterheads since we can't manipulate the amount of medication as we could with a syringe or statdose.

The guy is the absolute greatest and I highly recommend anyone in the NY metropolitan area to see him at some point or another

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:38pm

This only comes in 6mg doses, similar to the stat dose we are familiar with.  I think this is just a marketing ploy for those that are afraid of needles. 

Splitting into three (2 mg) doses maximizing your $ and providing three times the usage per day via the Imitrex tip is not an option, as one would be required to use needles. 

So in my opinion, this is really a waste of $ and limits the daily usage
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2010 at 2:57pm by LasVegas »  

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 6:46am

Clusters ain't for wimps (like needles). The subcutaneous needle works, why fix something that isn't broken? (you know, other than the friggin' PATENT that the pharmaceutical company gets for repackaging it in this delivery device.)

This rounds out my 2,500th post.
Cheesy

Scott

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 11:41am

2,500th post was well worth reading and I completely agree!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2010 at 11:41am by LasVegas »  

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Fox
CH.com Junior

We all need somebody to
lean on.

White Plains, NY, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:12pm

E-Double wrote on Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:53am:

It's most likely a weak tool for clusterheads since we can't manipulate the amount of medication as we could with a syringe or statdose.

The guy is the absolute greatest and I highly recommend anyone in the NY metropolitan area to see him at some point or another

Ditto E-Double.

Dr. Sheftell at NECH is my savior.  After 20 years battling the Beast with the help of GPs and a neuro, I finally found the care and treatment I needed from Dr. S at NECH.

Last visit he showed me the air injection thingy, but passed on a sample.

Fox

So just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:26pm

Fox wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:12pm:

Ditto E-Double.

Dr. Sheftell at NECH is my savior.  After 20 years battling the Beast with the help of GPs and a neuro, I finally found the care and treatment I needed from Dr. S at NECH.

Fox

Such great news to read that you two found a helpful and educated doctor you both trust.  Might consider adding him to the list of NY recommended doctors on the OUCH website. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:41pm

seasonalboomer wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 6:46am:
Clusters ain't for wimps (like needles). The subcutaneous needle works, why fix something that isn't broken? (you know, other than the friggin' PATENT that the pharmaceutical company gets for repackaging it in this delivery device.)

This rounds out my 2,500th post.
Cheesy

I hardly consider myself a wimp, and I can honestly tell you that I have never needed to inject myself (or be injected by someone else) with anything for the treatment of a cluster headache attack.

Having said that, I HAVE had IV DHE-45 treatments inpatient.

Maybe it has more to do with discovering early that triptans seem to extend my cycles.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 4:07pm

would be great to get Dr Sheftell's info
thanks
anthony

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #15 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 5:17pm

LasVegas wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:26pm:
Fox wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:12pm:

Ditto E-Double.

Fox

Such great news to read that you two found a helpful and educated doctor you both trust.  Might consider adding him to the list of NY recommended doctors on the OUCH website. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

He is listed under Connecticut.
That's where he practices out of

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

Fox
CH.com Junior

We all need somebody to
lean on.

White Plains, NY, USA
Reply #16 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 6:21pm

More info on New England Center for Headache (NECH) found here:

Fox

So just call on me brother, when you need a hand
I just might have a problem that you'd understand

IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 3:29pm

Hubby reports it works well for him. He didn't want anything to do with needles and he uses the Sumavel as a last resort after hitting with O2 @ 15 liters. In the last 3 weeks, he's only had to use the Sumavel once.

The bugger leaves a nasty welt at the injection site for a day, though!

~ Naturally Ostentatious ~

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #18 - May 3rd, 2010 at 8:17pm

I am in the minority that use Maxalt MLT as my triptan of choice but I got a whole bunch of samples of the air dose.  I figure, if it works free samples are nice.  I also got samples and coupons of MLT the next month...... maybe the new product had multiple benefits!!!

Anyway, haven;t used it yet but I will report when I have.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #19 - May 3rd, 2010 at 8:51pm

Joe tried to fill his prescription for this, and Cigna rejected it. So he called the Neuro back to get prescription for Imitrex instead.  So... guess the air injectibles must be more expensive.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Reply #20 - May 5th, 2010 at 6:08pm

I've used 2 so far. first one scared the heck out of me. I actually pulled a muscle in my neck. but it worked. No HA for almost a week. Same thing second time. I'm now on Topamax and it's working, so I haven't used it again, but I always carry it, as it's a miracle drug.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!