Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Melatonin Question (Read 1597 times)
demonh8r
CH.com Junior

Never quit fightin

Ohio
Melatonin Question
Mar 24th, 2010 at 4:29pm

Yesterday I just started taking a whole cocktail of meds that my neurologist prescribed.

I'm taking Maxalt, Verapamil, depakote, and methylprednisolone or something like that.

I know this is a question for pharmacist, but I forgot to ask, Is it ok to take Melatonin with drugs listed above? Haven't gotten much sleep lately and was hoping Melatonin could help in that area. Thanks guys

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Re: Melatonin Question
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 5:09pm

Quote:
I know this is a question for pharmacist, but I forgot to ask

Call him.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 1:21pm

For purposes of SLEEP, an excellent study out of England concluded that a bedtime dose of 1/3mg was better than larger or smaller doses. Since 1mg is standard in the drug store I've compromised at 1/2mg and have found it effective--but must be used regularly, not just occasional, randomly.

Don't use in large doses which are often suggested here for treament of CH. That would compromise the treatment given by your doc and it would make it impossible to know what's working.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

demonh8r
CH.com Junior

Never quit fightin

Ohio
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 6:09pm

Thanks bob for the insight. I believe I have the 5 mg doses. Think its ok to cut them into so I won't take a high dose?

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 5:01pm

demonh8r wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 6:09pm:
I believe I have the 5 mg doses. Think its ok to cut them into so I won't take a high dose?

Yes.  If it time released, splitting might speed up the release,but that isn't dangerous.  Most melatonin is not time released anyway. I often split 3 mg into halves or fourths.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2010 at 5:04pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:20am

Wow! Times have changed. Last time I was here people were taking 9mg, 12mg, now 1/3.

john

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:38am

Lots of people here still take larger doses. Read the caveat above ... a study found that for purposes of improving sleep in the average person, only a small amount is needed. But for effectively treating cluster headaches, many people need 9 mg or more. 

Personally, I take melatonin throughout the year, as studies have shown that episodic clusterheads don't produce much melatonin even when they are out of cycle. If I am feeling ok, I may only take 1/4 a tablet (0.75 mg) a few times a week. If I feel the type of sleep disruptions that are associated with the beast, I will increase the dose and start enforcing a sleep schedule (eg, I take melatonin at 9:30 every night, and in bed with lights out at 10:00 sharp).  For me, 1.5 to 3 mg every night and a strict schedule often get me back to normal ... part of the problem is a disturbance of circadian cycles. Once the beast gets a foothold, larger doses of melatonin may be needed.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:50am

I see. Sorry about that.

john

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 7:45pm

For "regular" sleep issues the research states what Bob suggested.

As a preventative for clusters the research is now suggesting upwards of 18-24mg.

I will look for the source.

Regardless of what "We" say, talk to your doctor first.

good luck

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!