Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to the board.....veteran to the pain (Read 1781 times)
Ripblade
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New to the board.....veteran to the pain
Mar 23rd, 2010 at 8:54pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Paul and I am on my 15th straight day of CH.  I feel like the world is crashing down on me.  I have had these headaches for 23 years and believe it or not, was not diagnosed correctly until 2 years ago.
Right now the only med that works for me is Imitrex shots...down to 2 shots left....and doctors appt isn't for another 3 days........shoot me now !!!!!
I just quickly browsed some topics and I am looking or some advice if my shots run out. Plzzzzz helllllllppppp meeeeeee.
Does the water water water method really help?  Is there anything else i can try? 
At this point, I just want to give up....feels like my family and my job especially can not understand this torture I am going through......ANY advice i receive will be WELCOME.

IP Logged

Ripblade
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: New to the board.....veteran to the pain
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 9:10pm

Sorry....after reading other newbie posts....i omitted some relevant info:
I am 37 years old and live on Long Island.  Have 2 wonderful kids.
I believe I am what is known as an "episodic" sufferer in that my clusters usually "go away" for months.
My last attack period was in the summer of 2008.....woot almost 2 years pain free....oh but did i mention that attack period lasted 43 straight days?  Sad

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 9:24pm

To extend your Imitrex use the link below.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
On the left side of this screen, where you click on the 'message board' are some more links. Read the "oxygen info". Oxygen (O2) is one of the best abortives available, and is safer than meds.

Many find slamming energy drinks or coffee can stop individual CH attacks. Other meds we use as prventatives are, Verapamil, Lithium, Topamax, Kudzu, but everyone is different so finding what works for you takes time and effort.

Welcome to CH.com & Good Luck,
Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 9:29pm

Hey there ripblade!  I can believe the undiagnosed for 20 years.  I think I had the same thing.

Welcome to the website and the club nobody wants to join, but welcome anyways.  There is a ton of great reading here and people have had luck with all sorts of things including lots of water it would seem.  Too much to list, so follow a bunch of strands and see what people are saying. 

Here is my summary of what I read and then others can fill in what I forget.  Some things will work better for some than others so really read up and see if they are right for you:
-Oxygen works for most people, read up on it and make your doctor prescribe it.
-energy drinks seem highly regarded if taken right at the start of your attack.  I get by with coffee or cola but most people hit the redbull etc.
-www.clusterbusters.com seems to have great success, lots to read there too. 
-several pharmacuetical options, but I haven't tried them so can't help.

Keep reading and good luck!!  You can get a handle on this if you really get after it.  Knowing your body and timing of the pain is one of the biggest hurdles to minimizing the CH.  Spend your waking, pain free time here for a day or 2 and see what makes sense.  You'll get lots of advice.

--Shaggy

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 12:34am

Ripblade, welcome to a place you can always get support from others who do understand your pain.  There is a ton of info on this site, just research everywhere and anywhere..seek and you shall find.  Need to take a look at a few things in particular...start with page 1.  Understand what CH's are and be able to intelligently speak to doctors, family, employers, etc.  Read up on o2 and get yourself some ASAP!!!  Try the Imitrex tip recommended, should help you spread out your doses over the next couple days.  Water?...works for some, try it!  There is a page called "letter to employer" or something like that, print it and give to those who are close to you so they can better understand, it is very well written.  You will need to understand the differences of transitional, preventative and abortive meds...each category is unique and important to your proper therapy.  There are youtube videos that also may be helpful for you to understand you are not alone and to share with any family or friends that you are close to, so they understand you are not the only 1 in the world suffering like this.  No doubt about it, this is a living nightmare, we all have battled and we all are still here today, including YOU, hang in there and come here not only to read, learn and print valuable info to share with doctors, family, etc...but also come here to vent, seek advice, etc.  Welcome aboard, this place is called Clusterville and we are called Clusterheads and this CH website is open 24/7  Wink

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Ripblade
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 8:04am

WOOOT....I have to thank you ALL !!!!  I was awakened at 5:12am with my regular cluster.......I pounded a Red Bull as fast as I could.
I have to be honest.....I really did not think this would work.  But it did !!!
It is now 3 hours later....the headache never really came on....I do seem to still have the warning symptoms but I am soooo happy.  The first morning in 15 days that I can actually think and help my kids get ready for school.
I thank you all soooo much !!  I realize this will not stop every headache, but at the moment....just one headache gone seems like paradise  Cheesy  Thank you thank you thank you.

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 8:54am

Hi Paul and welcome. Great to hear you had success with the Red Bull!!!!

Now, as it has been mentioned read up and find out what will be the most effective defence for you. My savior has been o2, like many here.

All the best, Iddy Smiley

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 11:38am

I don't use Imitrex anymore as oxygen has proven just as effective without the cost and the side effects. Read the oxygen info link on the left as it must be used correctly or it will not work. Just finished a 2 year remission...my longest EVER...and am at the tail end of a 12 week cycle. Thos little green E-Tanks of oxygen in my garage have been very close, personal friends these last 12 weeks. Will kill an attack in less then 10 minutes.

Kinda scary how fast a Red Bull or whatever energy drink flavor you prefer, can route the beast. I use Red Bull in concert with my 02 to prevent come back attacks.

Do talk to your doctor about a good prevent med, Verapamil, Lithium, Topomax...I use lithium, blocks about 70% of my attacks. Without a prevent in my system I used to get 2 slammers a day while on cycle, one in the am one in early evening. I'd have had to have an 02 tank strapped to my back to function normally with that many hits!

Don't know how you deal with my kids. I have 2 adult daughters, when they were growing up they knew how to start daddy's 02, bring him ice, and leave him be! Makes it a little less scary when they think they're helping you defeat the beast. Because they certainly know all is not right when the beast comes to town!

Joe

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 3:10pm

Sending along a couple of articles to help give you some grounding. #2 is PDF file below this message.)
-----------

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the better overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article--link, line above--if you are serious about keeping a good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!