Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello from cape cod (Read 1758 times)
tom s
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Sandwich Mass
Hello from cape cod
Mar 23rd, 2010 at 7:49pm

Just wanted to say hello. Its nice to know i am not alone. My attacks started on 12/30/09. I have been getting 2 or more attacks everyday. I am 49 turning 50. I guess I am one of the lucky ones as my attacks dont usually start until 5-6 am, only had a few at 3am. others occur durning the day. Wish I could speak to others that have attacks during the day. Please let me know

Thanks   Tom S

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Hello from cape cod
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 8:05pm

No, Tom, you're not alone so G'day. What's Cape Cod beer like?

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 8:06pm

Hi Tom - welcome to the board. Sorry we have to meet this way. What kind of treatment regimen does your doctor have for you?

I'm a supporter, my husband is Guiseppi, a sufferer.

Christy

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 2:14am

Hey Tom,

I think most of us have some attacks during the day.

And as Christy said, let us know what your treatment regimen is (there is some good info and advice on that subject to be had here).

Also, if you haven't found out the hard way already, alcohol is THE biggest trigger for most of us, and will bring on a raging hit like no other, so please don't assess any Cape Cod beer for Aussie Brian until this episode is well over.

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2010 at 2:14am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 3:45am

(And no matter what Aussiebrian says to the contrary, there is no requirement you send him beer to become a member here!!!) Grin

I have found the best results for me using a 2 pronged approach:

1: A good prevent. When a cycle starts I go on 1200 mg. a day of lithium. After about 2 weeks on lithium, it'll block about 70% of my attacks. Verapamil is the typical first line prevent doctors try, effective for many on the board.

2: A good abortive regimen, a headache starts, now what? Oxygen should be your first line abortive, I can completely halt most attacks in less then 10 minutes. Been a real miracle worker for me and many on the board. Read the oxygen info link on the left as it must be used correctly or it does not work.

If you haven't tried energy drinks, Red Bull, Monster, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine, they're worth a shot. Many find they can abort or at least diminish an attack by chugging one of those down at the first sign of an attack. I've become fond of sugar free red bull, taste is okay, not too sugary.

Imitrex injections and nasal sprays are also popular aborts on the board. I'm about to turn 50, episodic for about 31 years, they haven't killed me yet!

Welcome to the board, make yourself at home!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 7:12am

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the family.  I'm so sorry to hear we're related.

I get most of my attacks during the day too.  49, turning 50.  Hey, are you me?  Grin

Must be something in this Massachusetts water  Huh

Anyway, tell us a bit about how you treat your CH.  You never know, the collective wizdom around here might be able to help.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 7:38am

hi tom
im anthony im 49 turning 50 and my attack's are mostly in the day too! welcome to this amazing place i met all these people in december when my cycle started and was the best thing that couls have ever happened to me! You are in good hands my friend!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 11:41am

Damn...there's a boat load of us old codgers turning the big 50 this year!!!! Grin

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 8:25pm

Guiseppi wrote on Mar 24th, 2010 at 11:41am:
Damn...there's a boat load of us old codgers turning the big 50 this year!!!! Grin

Joe

Hush up, Joe.......50 is good..well, it was   Cool

Welcome to the family, Tom.  There's a fairly good bunch hanging around here.
Smiley

IP Logged

dsw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boston Area
Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 11:21pm

Hey Tom, sorry that you became a member. My husband is also 49 and turning 50 on 4/1/10. CH just diagnosed in June 09 but suffered for a year before.

We're in Stoughton area...if you have a neuro you like...congrats..if you don't, the Faulkner Hospital in JP (John R. Graham Headache Center) specializes in CH. I know that while my husband doesn't like to talk about it (the tough guy type) he would welcome talking about it w/ someone who "gets" it. He is so tired of everyone trying to tell him to turn off the lights and laydown, or look at him like he is nuts. Let us know if you are up in this area and we'll do the same. PS - if you are a boater we are friends w/ the Barnstable Asst. Harbor Master, would be a small world if you knew him! peace and no pain.
diane

♬and in the end the love you take
is equal to the love you make ♬

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:24am

Welcome to the club Tom.

Lots of good people here with advice on how to keep the beast at bay.

Guiseppi's post includes what most of us would recommend having in our packs for the first time in the trenches.

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 7:30pm

By the way, do you live at the cape full time? We may visit sometime this summer/fall - I forget the name of the town but right at the 'elbow' of the cape. Maybe we could meet for coffee.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!