Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dissolving Imitrex pills for injection (Read 3967 times)
Donny M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

CT
Dissolving Imitrex pills for injection
Mar 23rd, 2010 at 9:27am

Hello all! I am new to this board and have been suffering from CH for >20 years. I have tried many treatments over the years but the only one that has worked consistantly is Imitrex injections. I have found myself in a situation recently that I had never had to contend with: Unemployed, insuranceless and beginning a CH cycle.

My thought is as follows:
It only takes about 2mg to abort my average headache. If a pill contains 100mg of the stuff, couldnt that be dissolved into sterile water and treat up to 50 headaches?

Has anybody ever considered or even tried this?

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Dissolving Imitrex pills for injection
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:01am

If ya had oxygen ya wouldn't have bad brain ideas like that one.

Potter

IP Logged

Donny M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

CT
Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:07am

I do have O2.... It used to work for me but that's changed over the past few years... Sad

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:18am

Donny M wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:07am:
I do have O2.... It used to work for me but that's changed over the past few years... Sad

O2 at a high flow rate?

Potter

IP Logged

Donny M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

CT
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:24am

Yeah.... They used to tell me 8 ltrs/min but I can get up to 15... It seems to only work if I catch the headache real early now and sometimes it's not effective at all

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:26am

Donny M wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 9:27am:
It only takes about 2mg to abort my average headache. If a pill contains 100mg of the stuff, couldnt that be dissolved into sterile water and treat up to 50 headaches?

I see your point, which is saving money, however I wouldn't try it not knowing what else is mixed in the pill.  I doubt that every ingredient of solid in that pill is the whole 100mg....

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:29am

Crank it up to 25lpm.

Potter

IP Logged

Donny M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

CT
Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:31am

That crossed my mind as well... I'm sure that there are fillers and binders in there as well.... It's just a thought

IP Logged

Chad from mn
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:35am

Ask your doc and see what he or she says

Not a bad thought if it could work.I had an idea similar to this

Smoking it like a crack rock Shocked Shocked Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:52am

This thread started bad and got worse.

Potter

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:19am

If O2 continues to not be helpful, you can ask your doc for a sample of this med. It's advantage is that it's about $3/dose and, for many of us, as fast acting as Imitrex. (The only restriction is that if you are having several attacks a day you need to discuss total dosing with your doc.) Note that a few people had their clusters permanently stop.
--------

Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:30am

Donny M wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:24am:
Yeah.... They used to tell me 8 ltrs/min but I can get up to 15... It seems to only work if I catch the headache real early now and sometimes it's not effective at all

My world changed when I discovered how well hyper-flow oxygen works for me. 15-20 lpm takes too long to work, allowing my hits to get out of control. If I have to wait 5-10 minutes, I'm pushing K9.

Bumping up to a high enough flow to breathe very, very deeply and quickly at the same time made all the difference in the world. In order to abort my CH's very quickly and very reliably, I use around 40 lpm.

I went from saying "O2 doesn't work for me" to kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Marc

IP Logged

Donny M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

CT
Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 12:51pm

My regulator does not go that high... Where can I acquire a new regulator?

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 1:08pm

Quote:

Nope....wouldn't even consider it and certainly would never recommend to anyone else.  Don't do it.
Quote:

See the highlighted oxygen info to the left.

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 2:32pm

Donny M wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 12:51pm:

Ebay.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #15 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 2:33pm

Injecting a tablet meant to be swallowed is asking for real trouble. There are binders and fillers that are perfectly harmless if swallowed, but which could really mess a person up if injected ... things like talc, silicon dioxide (sand), titanium dioxide.

Quote:
Each (Imitrex brand) tablet also contains the inactive ingredients croscarmellose sodium, dibasic calcium phosphate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, and sodium bicarbonate. Each 100-mg tablet also contains hypromellose, iron oxide, titanium dioxide, and triacetin.

If you are intent on trying this, let us know. I want to start a pool where people can bet on which vital organ of yours is the first to have serious problems.  My wager is on the lungs, though it could be the heart, kidneys, brain, or some other part.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2010 at 2:36pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 3:10pm

In case you haven't figured it out by now, it's pretty unanimous that what you have there is a profoundly bad idea.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Donny M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

CT
Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 3:46pm

Thanks for all your responses! I think you've convinced me! I will look into a new regulator and O2 mask. I think I have about 3 days worth of Immetrex on hand so I have a little time...

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #18 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 4:53pm

You may also want to check out the imitrex tip to get double and even tripple mileage out of your trex.

Wink

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Arde
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Dayton, TX.
Reply #19 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:19pm

Brew wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 3:10pm:
In case you haven't figured it out by now, it's pretty unanimous that what you have there is a profoundly bad idea.

Actually it sounded like a good idea to me, it's just that the devil is in the details.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 12:42am

Shooting up a home brew and risking an embolic stroke doesnt sound like a good idea to me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!