Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Acid reflux (Read 6535 times)
LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Acid reflux
Mar 21st, 2010 at 12:03am

any studies among those that suffer from CH's also have acid reflux?

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Re: Acid reflux
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 6:18am

Don't know of any studies but I get it badly!!

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 3:36pm

I have to take medication for it and avoid caffine.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2010 at 3:36pm by Karla »  

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 2:31am

Not until my mid 40's, CH since late teens. No serious meds yet just Don't eat after 6:00 PM, Tums and occasional .....crap....that big tablet you chew just one of.......Gads I hate getting old!!!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 9:02am

I definitely have it.  Was on Previced for years, but then it was controlled.  I still take Previced OTC on occasion.
When I have a cycle I usually don't have acid reflux as much because my diet changes avoiding all those acidic foods and alcohol so I can pound my energy drinks and coffee w/o heartburn.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:50am

This is potentially a very interesting topic!

There's considerable evidence that melatonin is a very effective treatment for GERD.  It's well established that melatonin helps a lot of us with CH.  Wonder if there's some connection?

A number of gastrointestinal disorders (e.g. Celiac disease) are known to interfere with uptake of nutrients and minerals, particularly calcium.  Screwed-up calcium levels are well known to contribute to neurological problems.  Connection?

Something like 3/4 of the serotonin in our bodies is in the intestines, and it's pretty well established that serotonin levels have a major effect on CH.  It's certainly plausible that a gastrointestinal problem could cause, or at least contribute to, disrupted serotonin levels.  That could easily be a factor in CH.  Connection?

There is ongoing research that suggests that drugs which inhibit serotonin production in the intestines might cure (or at least treat) osteoporosis.  This takes us back to the calcium-absorption issue.

It looks like the possible link between gut problems and CH is worthy of a lot more attention!  Just some food (gluten-free) for thought.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:58am

Chad wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 9:02am:
I definitely have it...  When I have a cycle I usually don't have acid reflux as much because my diet changes avoiding all those acidic foods and alcohol...

Chad,

Is it possible that you don't have acid reflux as much because your serotonin levels are down, and the low levels are causing the CH?  (See my previous post).

It would be very interesting to see if those of us with GERD typically notice any decrease in GERD symptoms while we're in a CH cycle (?).  Maybe we just need to figure out a way of getting the serotonin out of our guts and into our brains where it'll do some good!  Huh

Just a little more food for thought.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 1:59pm

Jim, you have me scratching my head.

Very interesting, indeed.....

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 2:25pm

I don't get reflux, but I agree, this is an interesting topic with many possible links between the gut and the brain.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 10:52am

monty wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 2:25pm:
I don't get reflux, but I agree, this is an interesting topic with many possible links between the gut and the brain.

My hubby has epilepsy(which I think more like ch than migraines), gerd, and sleep apnea.  His Dr's told him the gerd and sleep apnea are related to the epilepsy.  They couldn't exactly explain how, but that was thier story and they stuck to it.

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

powerlifer
CH.com Newbie

Hey!

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 1:24pm

Whilst most doctors think the symptom of acid reflux is because of too much acid its actually more commonly the opposite a lack of stomach acid.

They will usually prescribe ant-acids, proton pump inhibitors, which lower your stomach acid even more.

Good acid relux remedies, is digestive bitters they stimulate the bitter receptors at the back of the tongue and in turn stimulate the release of stomach acid, pancreatice enzymes and bile secreation whilst cleansing the liver.

probiotics and other cultured food is a good idea to restore your good bacteria.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 4:22pm

powerlifer wrote on Mar 24th, 2010 at 1:24pm:
Whilst most doctors think the symptom of acid reflux is because of too much acid its actually more commonly the opposite a lack of stomach acid.

Hmmmm...... I would have to see some hard evidence before even beginning to accept this opinion.

Marc

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 6:04pm

While I am NOT one of the more educated or one of the research types on this board...(I thank God for BOTH types on this board) Wink.....I found this topic interesting too. One of my triggers is letting myself get really hungry.

Joe

IP Logged

didgens
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 5:49pm

I thought id bump this thread since im looking into this .. my sons first sign of CH's coming has been routinely and increase of acid reflux.. every ...  single ... time .. the reflux comes first .. usually about 3 - 5 days ahead of the cluster pattern.   Treating him with Mylanta the last few days and no headaches .. no stomach problems.  will have to wait and see like everything else tried on the sites ..

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 6:26pm

For those who are suffering from both acid reflux and cluster headaches:

Batch's Anti-Inflammatory Regimen (Vitamin D3 + cofactors) has an excellent track record for preventing CH:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

AND

According to the neurologist Dr Stasha Gominak, low Vitamin D3 status may contribute to acid reflux and other stomach issues:

If I had both conditions I would follow Batch's Regimen for 4 weeks to see if improved Vitamin D3 levels could kill two birds with one stone.

Smiley wife of 48 year old husband who suffers from episodic CH ~ Batch's Anti-Inflammatory Regimen works!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #15 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 8:47pm

Hmmm...

A quick review of Mylanta ingredients revealed the following:

Active Ingredients (in each 5 mL teaspoon):

Aluminum hydroxide 400 mg (equivalent to dried gel, USP)
Magnesium hydroxide 400 mg
Simethicone 40 mg

I suspect it's the 400 mg of magnesium hydroxide that's producing the CH preventative effect...

Aluminum has been implicated as possibly causal in several onerous medical conditions...  For example... "Increased oral aluminium absorption has been suggested in Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and Down’s subjects."  See the following link for details:

Accordingly, I avoid products containing aluminum and I've tossed out all my old aluminum frying pads.  The anti-inflammatory regimen works more reliably to prevent CH...

Regarding acid reflux...  I've found eating an early evening meal and staying upright for at least two hours after eating helps reduce any acid reflux...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #16 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 8:48pm

feisty wrote on Aug 14th, 2014 at 6:26pm:
According to the neurologist Dr Stasha Gominak, low Vitamin D3 status may contribute to acid reflux and other stomach issues:

If I had both conditions I would follow Batch's Regimen for 4 weeks to see if improved Vitamin D3 levels could kill two birds with one stone.

I speculate about this a lot.  I have been struggling with acid reflux for a couple of years, and I have been on the anti-inflammatory regimen for over two years with much success and D3 blood levels in the optimum range or above.  So I can't say that it has helped with the reflux. I have only recently added Grominak's B50 suggestion, and I'm hoping it might help with my stomach issues. Because acid-reducing meds reduce magnesium absorption, I try to stay off of Zantac or Prilosec type medication as much as possible, in case it messes up my CH preventative.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #17 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 9:34pm

Doubly interesting.....started Batch's regimen very near in time to retiring from a VERY stressful job.....always assumed it was leaving the job the ended my horrible acid reflux issues...now I'm not so sure! Cheesy

Joe

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #18 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 11:07pm

Glad this thread has been bumped, thanks.  Maybe my speculation 4 & 1/2 years ago when I started this thread wasn't so far fetched afterall  Roll Eyes

I have been on the 123 vitamin regimen pretty regularly for a couple years now and have yet to go 1 night without acid reflux/heartburn.  So I am not a believer that this vitamin regimen is 100% effective relieving heartburn/acid reflux.

For relief, I need to chew Tums a few nights a week and I swallow 1 Prilosec every morning.  They both help compared to nothing, but I still suffer from chronic heartburn/acid reflux. 

CH's on the other hand, proud to be in remission over 2 & 1/2 years and am not sure if it's the vitamins keeping me out of cycle or just my irregular remission periods; regardless the vitamins are healthy so I follow protocol.

Please share more input on your thoughts of the relation among acid reflux/digestion and CH's...

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #19 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 12:38am

Quote:
Please share more input on your thoughts of the relation among acid reflux/digestion and CH's...

My speculation:

Underlying gut problems can mess with both healthy digestion, and the regulation of Vitamin D within the body. So there could be a sequence of:

damaged gut --> digestion problems --> messed up Vit D regulation --> reduced Vit D in the body --> inflammation --> CH

If the above scenario occurred, Vit D supplementation could potentially reduce the inflammation causing CH, but not fix the underlying gut issues.

Keep in mind that the vagus nerve extends from the gut to the brain and CH treatments have been targeted at the vagus nerve specifically. It's not a stretch, IMO, to consider that gut issues that cause acid reflux may also impact the vagus nerve and indirectly the parts of the brain involved with CH.

Here's an article that is a good primer on a more holistic approach to healing gut issues. It has worked for people I know, but it requires effort, dietary commitment, self-education, and time:

Acid Reflux: A Red Flag
scroll down to:
PROGRAM FOR RECOVERY FROM ACID REFLUX

Hope that helps.

Smiley wife of 48 year old husband who suffers from episodic CH ~ Batch's Anti-Inflammatory Regimen works!

IP Logged

Mark Olson
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Jose, CA
Reply #20 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 1:30am

No acid reflux here...

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #21 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 3:42am

Mark Olson wrote on Aug 15th, 2014 at 1:30am:
No acid reflux here...

Or here either.

IP Logged

didgens
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:54am

HI Batch ,, yes I was wonder about the Mag .. also note that there is another type of reflux condition that is silent ,, GERD is obvious  but LPRD so you may still have the problem .. you just don't feel it.

IP Logged

didgens
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:54am

wonder-ING that is lol

IP Logged

didgens
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:55am

didgens wrote on Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:54am:
HI Batch ,, yes I was wondering about the Mag .. also note that there is another type of reflux condition that is silent ,, GERD is obvious  but LPRD isnt so you may still have the problem .. you just don't feel it.

ok I re-wrote this so humans can read .. geeze must need more coffee !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!