Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why are so many here so unfriendly? (Read 3904 times)
Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Why are so many here so unfriendly?
Mar 18th, 2010 at 10:41pm

Just an inquiry..

I've noticed in many threads there's a number of "old timer" posters who don't seem to contribute much of anything to threads other then jabs at other members of the forums.

What's up with people acting like total jerks to others seemingly at random?
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2010 at 10:42pm by Loric »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Why are so many here so unfriendly?
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 10:47pm

What kind of question is that?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 10:48pm

learn the ways or you will be eaten alive, we all had to learn this, like it or leave, this is the way it is, before asking questions starting a topic, etc read as much as you can including archives using the google search...many "oldtimers" as you refer are just tired of doing all the homework for the newbies who may or may not stick around once they get their answers.  learn the site, follow the rules and you will be treated respectfully...welcome aboard

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:03pm

Loric wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 10:41pm:
Just an inquiry..

I've noticed in many threads there's a number of "old timer" posters who don't seem to contribute much of anything to threads other then jabs at other members of the forums.

Lame posts will get your head handed to ya.

Potter

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:23pm

Loric wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 10:41pm:

Hey shut up.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:23pm

(Kidding)  Cheesy

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:39pm

Loric....

CH.com does have a standard of conduct outlined by DJ in this post: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

We have all kinds here and it's not sunshine, roses and puppy dogs all the time. Most everyone is here to help in their own way. If someone rubs you the wrong way just over look them. If someone makes a personal attack, alert a moderator or the site owners.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 1:32am

Well, i'm not new the internet. I'm part of plenty of forums and great at handing people their (think "not head") when appropriate - but that's when discussing frivolous stuff.

People come here for help when they're in pain. Why kick someone when they're down?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 6:04am

Loric wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 1:32am:
People come here for help when they're in pain.

Your statement assumes that they're all legit.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 10:26am

Also consider this: There are over 7,300 registered members here. Think cross-section of society.

Last I checked, it's not just the flower people that are stricken with CH.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 10:28am

Quote:
If someone makes a personal attack, alert a moderator or the site owners.

With 8 of us as moderators, you probably won't have to alert us.  One of us will have seen it by that time.

We DO sometimes get snake-oil salesmen here, or   People  who are NOT what they appear to be, folks who like to sign up here JUST to cause trouble.  In the almost 12 years this site has been here, we have seen it over and over again.   People here WILL react to that.
The majority of us truly want to help anyone who comes here,  to navigate through the maze of info. that's available and be supportive. 

Whenever someone is not following DJ's rules, we will hide/lock a topic that has gone South and alert the webmaster.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 11:00am

Part of a message I posted on another site about dealing with uncivil people & messages:

"5. I'd suggest that you work from a position of "intelligent selfishness", that is, don't read or respond to people who you find troublesome or offensive. I suspect that most of us can get the tone of a message from reading a few words. If it's going in the wrong direction, scroll past/delete it. "Selfishness" says, don't read the whole thing and think about a response for this will only arouse distress or some level of internal upset. Responding won't change the other person and your effort will add to your frustration. "Selfishness" says, engage with those who are civil, don't encourage the uncivil by responding to them.

"6. This is not an argument for avoiding differences of fact. An all male group (on the subject of prostate cancer--talk about a subject for passion) I belong to often has intense debates. For the most part, they are based on medical information, informed judgments, and wrestling with evaluations of medical information. Intense, but generally respectful.

"Problems arise when the issue moves from the issue to the person. Folks who personalize, either what others write or what they say in response, will tend to move into interpersonal conflict. The best single way to avoid uncivility is to use discipline is keeping your words/thoughts on the topic, not on the other person's motives, intentions, etc. (A disadvantage of electronic communications is that it allows for impulsive behavior. Self-discipline, or an attitude of civility, would be served by typing the message, then putting into the "drafts" box until you cool down. It's interesting how many of my messages don't make it past this point!)"

--------
The last step if you can't learn how to handle some people: look for the "ignore" button on the left side of a message. It will block anything that person posts.

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2010 at 12:28pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 11:54am

I look at it this way.  We here are all dealing with extreame pain issues that are enough to make anyone a bit cranky.  I just ignore it and pray for the person to have a better day.  Also I believe there is an ignore function on this website so you can choose to ignore posts from a certain person if reading them upsets you.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 6:09pm

WOW!!   

All the "oldtimers" here on the board have dedicated many hours and much more helping people who arrive here in pain and terrified.  They have btdt and I trust their bs meter.

Quote:

I'll ask you the same question because quite frankly your question is the pot calling the kettle black.  I'm here everyday and while I do not read every single post, I have not seen the "many" posts from "oldtimers" that are kicking anyone when they are down.  This thread is an insult.  Don't like what you read, skip or click on the big red X on the top right.

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 6:10pm

LasVegas wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 10:48pm:
learn the ways or you will be eaten alive, we all had to learn this, like it or leave, this is the way it is, before asking questions starting a topic, etc read as much as you can including archives using the google search...many "oldtimers" as you refer are just tired of doing all the homework for the newbies who may or may not stick around once they get their answers.  learn the site, follow the rules and you will be treated respectfully...welcome aboard

For a relatively new graduate from the "newbie" level Las Vegas has learned a lot in a hurry! Cheesy

While I try to be on here to support as much as I can I have found in the last couple of months that I cannot handle the "Getting to know you" section.  It is not that I don't care!  Quite the contrary.  I used to spend most of my time there and in the Guest Book welcoming newbies to the site and trying to answer their questions.  The problem is that I have been getting hit pretty badly for the last 3+ months and I find it difficult to be patient with those who know no better.  So, rather than to be short with a newbie who is not doing his/her own homework I have avoided that section.  I feel badly about it, but it is better.

As you spend more time on here and get to know the personalities of some of the posters you will find that some of our more ascerbic posters are actually the ones who care the most.  They just don't suffer fools gladly.

I'm glad you are here.  I think from what I've seen of your posts that you have a lot to offer.  Perhaps you can make up on the " softer, gentler side" for those of us who tend to be more to the point.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 10:20pm

Play Nice...

You know the saying.. There is good and bad everywhere you go. I do know there is bad everywhere, just not so sure about the good part.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 11:35am

1.  Please be more specific.  Comment on the specific posts and maybe you will find out the reasons.  Starting a new topic like this will only get some people defensive and others (like me) scratching our heads wondering what you are talking about.

2.  Yes, we have all kinds here, but there is 1 very common thread in the majority of our "oldtimers"...... they will help out anyone with CH with advice and sometimes a lot more if they NEED it. 

3.  You are obviously not a child nor are you a newbie to internet forums so I am sure I don't have to tell you how ironic it is to post an attack on oldtimers for attacking others. 

If you would like to discuss anything about this site or CH, there are many of us (myself included) who would be happy to do so at any time.  Send me a PM and I'll be happy to chat!

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

horsegirl
CH.com Veteran

Cluster Headaches

x0||USA||0|0|IA,Iowa
Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 1:24pm

I should have read a few of your post first to see if you deserved and unfriendly people then thought i know I didnt years ago when i first came to this site. Just ignore the so called unfriendly people here and embrace the ones that help you , not to mention all the information here that is so life saving . Afterall were all in this together jerks and all.

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 5:21pm

Specific example:

vietvet2tours

Look up his posting history and see what positive has been posted, I'd love to know. All I've seen is blatant antagonism that moderators have chosen to ignore.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 5:37pm

Loric wrote on Mar 20th, 2010 at 5:21pm:
Specific example:

vietvet2tours

Look up his posting history and see what positive has been posted, I'd love to know. All I've seen is blatant antagonism that moderators have chosen to ignore.

If I gotta fuck with you just to get oxygen I win.

Potter

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 5:45pm

Quote:

Unless you've researched the last 10 - 15 years of those old timer posts I suggest you go take a nap.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #21 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 5:55pm

Potter's advice is spot on 99.5% of the time.

If you're looking to have sunshine blown up your skirt, go here:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #22 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 6:28pm

Loric wrote on Mar 20th, 2010 at 5:21pm:
Specific example:

vietvet2tours

If you focused on the content of his posts and not the tone, you would really understand.  His followup post sums it up quite well.

Also remember that "oldtimers" have by definition been here a long time and you cant always sum up their contributions with a quick look at post history.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #23 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 7:07pm

You people really are blind.

Assholes like him do nothing but discourage people from seeking help. There's not good advice being masked by a bad attitude - no one is going to listen to a word he says when approached that way.

I assure you that he's done nothing but reprehensible amounts more harm to people who have come here seeking input rather then guided them into the right direction.

If you can't see that and can't understand the basic psychology of that.. well, there's no helping you. I'd rather actually see people get help then just stand up for some curmudgeon friend so I've got the moral high ground.

Take your pot shots. Lob it at me. Explain away, rationalize, try to say why it's ok to be rotten to people you've never met but you know are having problem and who are trying to cope with terrible circumstances. Try to tell me what justifies actively trying to get people not to post on this forum when a lack a knowledge about CH is distinctly responsible for most of the problems we encounter with the pain. Try to tell me that's ok.

Jerk.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #24 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 7:25pm

This pissing contest is over. Angry

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!