Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New and confused (Read 1147 times)
Kerrylou
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New and confused
Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:07am

Hi all,
My name is Kerry and I am 35 and live in Scotland.  I have had cluster headaches since I was 17 and they pretty quickly settled into a pattern of once a year normally starting in February for about 9 weeks.  Last year I was pregnant at that time and the headaches never came, it was fantastic  Smiley . They also haven't appeared this year either so far and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this?  I know I should happy and I am, but I am also worrying about them coming back when I least expect it, there is no pleasing some folk lol.  Could it be possible that they are gone for good?  I would love to hear what you folks think.
Thank you
Kerry.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Re: New and confused
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:24am

Hi Kerry,

You should check out the threads here about hormone replacement therapy (HRT), in case they do come back.

You seem to be a clear case in which hormones have had an effect on CH. Hormones are undoubtedly at play with CH one way or the other and your pregnancy suggests that something may have contributed to a previous unbalance having been addressed during your pregnancy.

I hope you will never have to go through a CH again, but if you do I would have a blood test done and my hormone levels checked. A hormone replacement therapy may then be the answer.

Hope this helps and wish you many PF days.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:31am

Welcome Kerry!

I certainly hope they're gone for good, but you'll find that in most cases that isn't true.  You're remission could get longer or shorter.  Everybody is different and that cluster we call the "beast" morphs all of the time.
Right when you think you got him figured out, he nails you again.  I'm not saying this to scare you, but to prepare you.  Then you won't be as disappointed.  A poster here said the other day, "you must manage your headaches with confidence" or something like that.  That pretty much says it all.

I hope your pain free days continue.  Please ask us anything and welcome to the family.

Chad

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:46am

Quote:
Could it be possible that they are gone for good?

Most likely not.  I, too don't want to scare you either, but being prepared for when they DO come back is your best defense.  Getting yourself a good Dr. who is knowledgable about this condition is key.   Having a preventative and abortive treatment plan in place with the proper meds at your disposal will rest your mind.

Until they DO come back, live your life to the fullest without looking around corners.  That's the only way we can survive around here.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 2:49pm

You have an excellent support group you may wish to explore:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
===============
Good introduction:

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the better overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article--link, line above--if you are serious about keeping a good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

JennLynn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 11:39am

Hello! I am also a newcomer to this site..I had a beautiful baby boy last year. I got my CH at the first sign of pregnancy (before that I hadn't had one in 2 years!) Then my CH went away untill my son was 6 months old...what an awesome break that was. Unfortunately for me I did just start another cycle..this one had lasted for about a week. I had my first CH free night last night. My doctor ok'd me to take Imitrex inj - they said the benefit outweighed the risk and my son is perfect. These injections work right away and seem to be the only treatment that works for me..welcome and good luck! I think with my next pregnancy I want to try O2 therapy bc I think it's prob healthier for the fetus right?

IP Logged

mrs mac
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|tobermory|Scotland||0|0|
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 1:15pm

Hi Kerry

i too hope your pf time continues!!!

where abouts in Scotland are you, there is an excellent Neurologist based in the Southern General in Glasgow.

May i suggest you phone the ouch uk helpline, you don't need to be a member and it won't cost you anything as we will phone you back!

the number is 01646 651 979, just leave a short message with a contact number and someone will phone you back!

all the best

Sandra xx

IP Logged

Kerrylou
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 7:06am

Thank you so much to all that replied, its so great to be able to talk to folks that really understand whats happening.  I'm sorry I have taken so long to reply, I lost Internet access for a few weeks.  I will definitely do as you all suggest, it feels great to actually have positive things to do rather than just waiting and seeing.  To Mrs Mac I am in Falkirk so not far from Glasgow at all, so I will be giving the ouch helpline a call.
The funny thing is a few days after I posted here, I started to get headaches in the same areas as my clusters and basically the same kind of pain, but these are mere shadows of the real thing, they are sore yes and annoying but they don't stop me doing anything and I can live with them.  I think Neuropath is right about the hormones as I was pregnant last year when i didn't get them, and this year I was undergoing IVF at the time they normally occur, although the cycle had to be abandoned for other reasons.  Anyway enough of my rambling  Wink I just wanted to say thanks again for all your help and I wish you all many PF days.
Kerry.

IP Logged

bluebear
CH.com Newbie

Nemo saltat sorbius, nisi
infanus est

Out in the Sticks of Scotland
Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 9:46am

Hi Kerry
I'm new on this board too although not new to CHs. I'm also from Scotland - down the Borders.
Great that you're free and long may it last.
I'm hopefully on the way out of my current cycle and I'm waiting for an appointment with a neurologist. I'll post when I've had it.
Also I'd be happy to share any advice I can give, given that we share the same Health Service and the same condition.
Good luck. Hope they stay away!

Bluebear

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!