Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Namenda - a preventative (Read 6038 times)
Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Namenda - a preventative
Mar 16th, 2010 at 1:32am

So I have finally found a preventative med that is helping!  I tried a number of the conventional first-line meds, second-line meds, even cocktails.  At one point I was up to 960 verapamil (with EKGs, of course), 900 lithium, and 100 topiramate, all three at once with NO relief!  Prednisone never affected my CH (though I am aware it isn't considered a prevent.)  Never stopped one hit from occurring.  

Am under the care of Goadsby, as many of you know.  We were about to try methysergide maleate (aka Sansert,) but he was hesitant because of my age - I would have to be on it for a long time unless my CH morphs... I'm chronic.  Having to take breaks, etc for quite some time with a med with lots of side effects wasn't the best option in his opinion.  It was the last med we were down to. 

I decided to try one thing he came up with before - Namenda (or memantine hydrochloride) AND IT SEEMS TO BE HELPING!!!!!  WOOOOOT  I hadn't had any relief in the last year and then some until I upped the Namenda to 15mg.  I have had a reduction in frequency and severity of my hits!!  What a relief!

I use O2 to abort for the most part, but the fact that I found nothing for the longest time to stop the &$% CHs from occurring so often was a bummer.  I decided months ago that I wasn't going to let the beast stop me from doing things if I could, I was going to live to the best of my ability!  Now my ability is a bit more!   Cheesy

Namenda has been used for the last 10 years or so for migraine prophylaxis (off-label, of course.)  It is primarily an Alzheimers med. 
hmmm perhaps that explains it - it's all in my head bahahahaha
  kidding. 

Wanted to share anyway, for those of you who have tried so many meds and thought they tried it all - Goadsby said that there have been docs in LA area having much success with CHers and Namenda so he wanted me to give it a try.  It is a NMDA (or glutamate) receptor antagonist, though it is also a serotonin 5-HT3 receptors antagonist, from what I gather. 

Cool
Val

val2651  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Re: Namenda - a preventative
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 1:38am

Interesting...think I'll do some reading.....and damn cool it's helping you!
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2010 at 1:41am by Racer1_NC »  

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 9:44am

Relief for Val is one of my specific prayers answered. I am stoked - and very happy for you.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 11:32am

What happens if I miss a dose?

Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at your next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.

I thought this was a hoot considering it's primarily an Alzheimer drug.

Potter

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 2:13pm

I know Potter - the other funny thing I saw - one of the claimed side effects is confusion... how do you determine that an Alzheimers patient is confused due to a med???   Shocked  sorry, BUT... one question I'd really like to know.   Grin

val2651  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 2:24pm

Nice we can find a little humor in this shit.

Potter

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:20pm

I'm glad to hear the namenda is helping. Smiley

woo woo!!!!

Charlotte

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 11:12pm

Charlotte wrote on Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:20pm:
woo woo!!!!

What she said.  Smiley Smiley

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

MattyAA
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Poland, EU
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 4:47am

Wow... that's fantastic, btw isn't Goadsby working on some also Glutamate or some GCRP, or how do you type it, thing that also would be used for migraines, CHs?

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 12:58pm

Good to hear it is helping. I remember one other report on memantine here, and that person said it didn't help her (but nothing helps everyone here, one data point only tells us about one person).

Quote:
Wow... that's fantastic, btw isn't Goadsby working on some also Glutamate or some GCRP, or how do you type it, thing that also would be used for migraines, CHs?

Namenda/Memantine is a glutamate blocker. There are also a few pharmaceutical CGRP blockers that are being investigated, and they have generated some excitement for migraines and clusters, but are not ready for prime time yet.

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2010 at 1:05pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 7:42pm

Any more info on Namenda memantine. Interested in side affects, warnings, precautions, etc. I probably will not be able to use any triptans with my current age, blood pressure, caratid artery blockage, too dangerous. Looking for any alternatives. Thanks I'm a newbie. First cycle, 3 mo now.
Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

amandaN
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Boulder|USA||0|0|
Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 6:14pm

Perfect timing Val..I just got a sinus infection, all my meds quit 1st time in 2 yrs and its always so hard to control them again. I have a nero app. fri and had NO idea what I was going to suggest, until now! Thank you..its definitely a start. When you've taken so many different drugs and everything quits you just think what now?                Amanda

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!