Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ending cycle during successful Verapamil treatment (Read 1329 times)
krojo
CH.com Junior

What did CH'ers do before
the Internet?!

New York, NY
Ending cycle during successful Verapamil treatment
Mar 14th, 2010 at 12:40pm

Hi All,
In the past, I knew my cycle was over because the headaches stopped - duh!

However, in this cycle, a 480 mg / day Verapamil dose started blocking headaches after a few days. I've had three isolated attacks since then, but it's been two week since then:
02/08 - 02/12: 4 days of shadows, 3 days of attacks
* Verapamil starts on 02/12
02/13 - 02/19: 2 days pain free, 5 days of attacks
02/20 - 02/27: 6 pain free days, one attack after long flight
02/27 - 03/06: 7 pain free days
02/06 - 02/13: 7 pain free days

So, the Verapamil put up a good "block" but it's hard to know whether or not I'm actually done -- e.g. can maybe have a drink, or can ask my doctor if I can halve my Verapamil dose (constipation).

I sometimes still feel activity in my CH area (left eye and temple) but I wouldn't call these shadows.

Maybe some of you can share your stories about a cycle ending while having a good block from Verapamil.

Thanks!
-Rob

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Ending cycle during successful Verapamil treatment
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 3:00pm

Unfortunately, there is no test to tell when a cycle is over AND each individual has a different story to tell about duration, etc.

The general thinking is to wait a couple of weeks or more before stopping Verap and watch. Get back on quickly if there are signs an attack. Over time you will learn what your body's pattern is.

In truth, there are some folks who cycle so rapidly that they stay on Verap 100%. Rare but the point is, no real problem in doing so.

Patient self-testing is the guide....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 5:10pm

I was on Topamax for the first four years of CH non stop.

My new Neuro put me on Verapamil last summer. Took it every day. Went into cycle couple weeks before Christmas. Felt it was ended midway through Feb. Stopped the Verapamil a couple weeks later. The Beast returned. Back on the big V!

Personal lesson learned. Like Bob said, everyone is different and experience is the best teacher.

All the best, Iddy Smiley

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

krojo
CH.com Junior

What did CH'ers do before
the Internet?!

New York, NY
Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 11:12pm

Thanks guys for your advice. I guess I will have to just take the plunge after chatting with my Neuro and be ready to jump back on Verapamil.

BTW, I should have added that prior cycles I've had have been between 3-6 weeks, so it's pretty possible that my cycle is coming to an end soon. I'll be relying on all of you for more advice if/when sh*t hits the fan  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2010 at 11:27pm by krojo »  

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 8:06am

14 days pain free and without shadows and I begin cutting back on the verapamil.

IP Logged

Tamara
CH.com Junior

Can you find where I left
my head???

Orlando, Fl
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 10:51am

I've had CH's for 5 yrs. First 3 1/2 not diagnosed now I'm on Verapermil  ( 320 mg ) last 6 months because of this website. I have alot of shadows, but no major CH's just 2. I also have found if I take the V everyday same time in the evening, my CH's seems to stay away. But with so many shadows at least 3 a night. I still live in fear. I'm seeing my Doc today, maybe I'll up the mg's . Thank You all, you have helped me so much

Love you
Tammy Cheesy

Glad your here !!~

IP Logged

Judge_Smails
CH.com Junior

|maplewood|USA|New_Jersey
Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 2:05pm

I've used verapamil for my last 4 cycles (was using Sansert before that).  In the past I've been taking 600mg per day and that worked great.  However, this cycle I was still getting hit hard and had to up my dose to 720mg.  For the past 20 years my cycles were 4-6 weeks long, well, I'm almost 12 weeks into this cycle and really have no answers as to why.  I'm still getting hit about once a day so I'm not going to risk tapering off the meds until all is clear for a couple of weeks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!