Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil plus Lithium vs. Topamax (Read 2306 times)
neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Verapamil plus Lithium vs. Topamax
Mar 13th, 2010 at 8:25am

Have been on Verapamil 480mg daily for a few years with mixed results and have recently started to add Topamax 150mg to the cocktail with not much success.

Been thinking to get off Topamax and to replace it with Lithium. Any chronics out there that have had success with Verapamil and Lithium and anything to look out for?

Thanks.

IP Logged

burnt-toast
CH.com Hall of Famer

economy|USA|PA
Re: Verapamil plus Lithium vs. Topamax
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 1:55pm

Obviously this is something that you need to work through with your doctor.  The following is from my experiences with these medications.

1200mg Lithium Carbonate, 720mg Verapamil and 12mg Melatonin have been my daily core meds./dosages for more than a decade.   As symptoms change (increase/decrease in severity and frequency) I adjust dosages accordingly.  I’m typically at the levels mentioned above 70% of the time and able to decrease to lower dosages the remainder of the time.  It’s a constant effort to find the lowest yet most effective dosage levels/schedules for treating existing symptoms.

Success…, absolutely, without these preventatives I would most likely be a very exhausted basket case.  Results are far from perfect, breakthroughs are common.  However, I gain a significant level of control over the disorder through these drugs.  My indicator to their effectiveness is those rare times that I forget a dose or miss my schedule by more than an hour.  Increased symptoms/severity is nearly immediate and it sometimes takes days for CH to return to more controlled levels.

Like most meds. used in treating CH, there are a lot of things to look out for.  Most are commonly and easily recognized side-effects, others should be monitored through routine tests (EKG/ECG, blood tests).  A significant amount of detailed prescription drug information can be obtained from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register to establish the basis for treatment/monitoring discussions with your doctor.

Best Wishes,
burnt-toast
(Tom) 

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 10:03pm

Thanks a lot Tom.

IP Logged

amandaN
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Boulder|USA||0|0|
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 8:30pm

I've had clusters for 18 yrs past 9 chronic, I have been on verapamil 480, Topamax 125 and lithium 600 for years. Have a few breakthroughs, nothing too bad keep O2 handy. Side effects are mostly from the topamax but anything is better than a cluster! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!