Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Responses Needed: Using 02 as only method 2 Abort (Read 2058 times)
SET•ME•FREE
CH.com Newbie

We Live By Our Rules,
or Die By Theirs

Hermosa Beach, CA
Responses Needed: Using 02 as only method 2 Abort
Mar 12th, 2010 at 6:47pm

Hey everyone.  I know i don't post much, but i've been a member of the board now for a couple years and am so proud to say I've been a CH Sufferer now for 10 years easy.  Wink

Anyways.  I have a question that i would like some responses on please.  I am scared as hell to not take verapimille daily for these headaches.  Mine are very unpredictable.  I used to be chronic and have slowly gone episodic.  I would like to only use oxygen as an abortive, but have found that if i do that once the headache is gone it comes right back in 30min-an hour or so.  I've been in a cycle now since X-mas and have never just tried oxygen only.  I always take 1/2 amerge when the hit. 

So question is, those of you who use 02 only, do you find the headaches just come right back after a bit?  This seems especially so when i sleep.  Also, when in a cycle i get headaches throughout the day.  When im at work i have to take an amerge and hope it lasts all day.  I have no where to go to take oxygen.

Side note.  I am 31 years old.  Decent looking.  I am so embarrassed by having to take oxygen.  I wish i had a hole to crawl into so no one could see me use it.  I know its a man thing, but i feel everyone is looking at me and no one understands.  Im sure everyone here can attest to that. 

Also.  I must admit that i too take opiates.  I am sure i get rebound headaches from time to time, but my pain is always a 10.  I would say its a 20, but 10 being the highest its always a ten.  The older i get the more the pain hurts and hurts the rest of my body with all the shaking and tensing up.  It makes me sad that i take them, but i am really trying to stop.  I am not addicted, but am scared to endure the full brunt of the pain.  Its so bad that it makes my body numb, hard to breath, feel like im dying.  Everytime. 

Anyways.  If you could just let me know about the 02, i would appreciate it.  I don't need a lecture on the pain meds.  It helps me and all of our pain is different.  This year has been tough with all the weather changes...  Sure wish i was normal.  I just want my life back.  I wish that for all of us.  I would do anything to help find a cure! 

Thanks everyone.

If anyone can here me. 
Set Me Free
Set Us All Free
http://www.facebook.com/cpetrini  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Re: Responses Needed: Using 02 as only method 2 Abort
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 7:12pm

First of all, I do find that when the attacks are hitting hard, any of the night time wake up whoppers that I abort with O2 will come back in an hour. BUT, there is an O2 Sensei on this board that goes by the name of Batch and he was reminding me that a person's PH level can affect how well O2 (and other treatments) work for them, so next time I'm going to pay more attention to that.

You might wanna look into the PH thingy yourself. Hopefully you are already using the Hi LPM non rebreather hyperventilating method as outlined in the oxygen info link to the left of this page.

2nd, if I were you, I'd be seriously looking into the powerfully effective for preventing CH -but very mild on the side effects - substances that are the main subject over at clusterbusters.com.

3rd, I will insert no lecture on opiates here.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2010 at 7:13pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 7:14pm

SET•ME•FREE wrote on Mar 12th, 2010 at 6:47pm:
Hey everyone.  I know i don't post much, but i've been a member of the board now for a couple years and am so proud to say I've been a CH Sufferer now for 10 years easy.  Wink

Anyways.  I have a question that i would like some responses on please.  I am scared as hell to not take verapimille daily for these headaches.  Mine are very unpredictable.  I used to be chronic and have slowly gone episodic.  I would like to only use oxygen as an abortive, but have found that if i do that once the headache is gone it comes right back in 30min-an hour or so.  I've been in a cycle now since X-mas and have never just tried oxygen only.  I always take 1/2 amerge when the hit. 

So question is, those of you who use 02 only, do you find the headaches just come right back after a bit?  This seems especially so when i sleep.  Also, when in a cycle i get headaches throughout the day.  When im at work i have to take an amerge and hope it lasts all day.  I have no where to go to take oxygen.

Side note.  I am 31 years old.  Decent looking.  I am so embarrassed by having to take oxygen.  I wish i had a hole to crawl into so no one could see me use it.  I know its a man thing, but i feel everyone is looking at me and no one understands.  Im sure everyone here can attest to that. 

Also.  I must admit that i too take opiates.  I am sure i get rebound headaches from time to time, but my pain is always a 10.  I would say its a 20, but 10 being the highest its always a ten.  The older i get the more the pain hurts and hurts the rest of my body with all the shaking and tensing up.  It makes me sad that i take them, but i am really trying to stop.  I am not addicted, but am scared to endure the full brunt of the pain.  Its so bad that it makes my body numb, hard to breath, feel like im dying.  Everytime. 

Anyways.  If you could just let me know about the 02, i would appreciate it.  I don't need a lecture on the pain meds.  It helps me and all of our pain is different.  This year has been tough with all the weather changes...  Sure wish i was normal.  I just want my life back.  I wish that for all of us.  I would do anything to help find a cure! 

Thanks everyone.

I can kill the headache in five minutes. Sometimes they come back sometimes they don't.  Oxygen is so cheap I don't care.  Just keep on huffin and to heck with how you look.

Potter

IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 7:28pm

I too can get "rebound" hits after O2, but it is rare.  It usually happens at the peak of my cycle, yet, nothing seems to help then.  I do take V when in cycle as my preventive.  I haven't done O2 as an abortive without V yet.  Also, when the O2 isn't working I have imitrex injections.  I'm a lucky person, able to get imitrex vials with disposable syringes, so as I can take just a tad of imitrex to elevate the headache.

For work, I have gotten O2 in a smaller cylinder, seat belted into the back seat of my car, and when that "twinge" comes, I run out to my car. 

O2 works in mysterious ways.  Some good, some OK, some not at all.  But these CH's are mysterious too.  Finding the right combo for less pain, is a pain!! 

Breathe hard, fast & furious for as long as you can take it. 

I hope the best for you. 

Angela

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 8:23pm

You didn't say what level of O2 you are using.  Since I went to 25 lpm I don't get the resurgent attack.  No lecture on opiate usage, but you have already mentioned rebound headaches from them.  I don't think O2 will do anything for that.  Could be that is your problem.

You might want to look into Kudzu as an alternative prevent.  It works pretty well for me and without the side effects of Verap and Lithium.  YMMV

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 11:45pm

sad story with no hope until opiates are eliminated

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 8:15pm

With O2 a good way to help prevent the quick return of pain is to stay on the O2 for several (up to 15min.) minutes after the pain stops. Turn the flow down and breathe normal during this time. Works for me and others.

Good Luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

NovellRed
CH.com Junior

x0|San Diego|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 1:20pm

I quit everything except O2 years ago. Best decision I ever made.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 1:57pm

Just so we don't get messed up on wording.....verapamil is a prevent, not an abortive...just a wording thing!

I still use Lithium as my prevent when on cycle, and 02 is my only abortive. Just finished a 3 month cycle...(I think it's finished, day 3 with no lithium so far so good!)......and used only 02. Had imitrex in reserve but never used it.

I get the come backers too with oxygen. Normally within 10-15 minutes of shutting off the 02. I used to use cafergot in combo with the 02 to prevent them. This cycle I used Red Bull. As I'd start the 02 wifey would pour me an iced Red Bull, would knock that down while I huffed the 02. 02 knocked it down, Red Bull prevented the re attack. Might be worth a shot.

Do look into the PH stuff Batch posts about. I now take a daily magnesium supplement in and out of cycle. Convinced it's had a positive effect on my cycles.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!