Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
huh? (Read 1003 times)
black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
huh?
Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:02am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; Huh

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Re: huh?
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:15am

for a reason i don't understand when i follow the link i pasted here,the article doesn't seem to appear
so if this happens to you too
google
Oregon's suicide headache tree
it's an interesting reading Smiley

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 1:41pm

My Mom gave me the paper yesterday to read.  Any research could be good I guess but the article connects the act of smelling "Oregon Myrtle" with a CH attack.  I was curious if this meant it started someone's cycle or just triggered a headache within their current cycle. 

Several botanical smells have started an attack during my cycles in the past and I avoid like the plague during my cycles since: hedge nettle and catnip.  Eating stinging nettle raw has done it too.  Yes, you can eat stinging nettle raw without getting stung (barehanded picking too).

I figure these smells act in the same ways as alcohol or the trigger foods that we all avoid.  So more research?? sure why not.  I didn't come away from the article thinking I will soon know the great mysteries of the world.

I was also curious about the latin name of the plant.  There are so many myrtles and laurels that look similar to the photo that I am not really sure what plant it is.  Not to bag on the article....jus' sayin'.

OK, just wiki'd it, seems like Oregon Myrtle is a close smelling relative of bay laurel.  I really like the smell of bay laurel and sniff it whenever I see it.  Maybe I am actually smelling the myrtle thinking it is the laurel.  So complex my friends. Angry

--Shaggy

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 3:23pm

I've got a bay laurel tree  - it is the bay leaf used to spice foods. The dried leaf loses 99% or more of the aromatic compounds, and these oils definitely rival any perfume or hydrocarbon solvent.  I can see how it would trigger some people.

Bay Laurel contains: eucalyptol, terpenes, sesquiterpenes, methyleugenol, α- and β-pinenes, phellandrene, linalool, geraniol, and terpineol.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 6:45am

let's hope something will come up from this research.
It was time to see something moving

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!