Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Depakote,Verapamil,Lithium combo? (Read 944 times)
racetrackers
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Depakote,Verapamil,Lithium combo?
Mar 10th, 2010 at 5:53pm

I'm a 52 year old male and still in my first cycle that started on Dec 5.  This is my first cycle and had no idea this type of thing even existed.  I have anywhere from 4-10 headaches per day ranging from 2-9 on the scale.  I went to my local Dr in early Dec and he agreed this was out of his league and sent me to the Clevenland Clinic in Early Jan.  I am very impressed with the hospital and Drs.  They were very patient with me on each visit.  Also ran the MRI's to make sure.  Just a quick background, I was struck by lightning in 1987 and had a very bad fall with a concusion 4 years ago.  since that point my pupils have varied, with the right always being smaller.
Anyway, my dr at Cleveland clinci put me on Depakote 500 mg,Verapamil 240 ,Lithium 600 mg and O2 for when the attacks are really bad.  O2 seems to help allot.
My question is, has anyone tried this combination and if so, what do you think?  If a varaition, please let me know as well.
It seemed like this helped somewhat for awhile but now back to the 10 headaches per day.  so it seems like I peaked out in Jan, went down to a fairly livable rate on Feb and back to major again. 
I just joined this site and love what I have seen so far and all of the support available!
Del 

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Depakote,Verapamil,Lithium combo?
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 7:15pm

I've done the "chronic cocktail" (verapamil and lithium) for years, sometimes for up to 3 years at a time. My magic dosage was always 480mg verapamil along with 900mg lithium carbonate per day. Works really well at keeping the beast at bay, but brings along its own set of unpleasant side effects.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 9:15pm

welcome,

Crazy but i live 10 minutes from the cleveland clinic.
but i never went there for a cluster.

Coach bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

racetrackers
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 1:31pm

Coach bill,

Cleveland Clinic is awesome, I would recommend to anyone with CH.
I see Dr. Tepper and she is great.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!