Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
It's back, roughly 2-weeks in, need advice (Read 6476 times)
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Re: It's back, roughly 2-weeks in, need advice
Reply #25 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 9:05pm

OK, here's my take.

1.  Get a script for O2.  Find out the best place to get medical equipment and contact them.  Make sure they give you a non-rebreather mask.  Make sure the regulator goes up to at least 25 lpm.  If you have a few bucks, or mom and dad have a few spare, order the mask on this site and buy a regulator from ebay (25 lpm MIN).  The mask and regulator will cost you under $100 and the O2 tanks should be cheap to rent or buy.

2.  Ask your doctor for samples of any triptan he has.  There is a new one out that docs have samples of.  I have them but havent tried them yet.

3.  May I suggest lithium over topomax?  I think you said verap wasnt good for you, so maybe lithium.

4.  The caffeine route NEEDS taurine too.  Make sure you tried energy drinks with taurine.  Caffeine by itself works some but taurine better.

5.  You control your life, not CH.  Take control and do everything you can.  I work through headaches (with abortives at my disposal) and it makes me feel better about it all.  My worst are usually at night and thus work ones are easier to work through, BUT it still helps to do everything you can and not let CH beat you!  Staying in bed is not a good option for me.  I get hit worse when I am not moving.

Good luck!

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #26 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 1:00pm

Ugh.. this sucks. No new updates. I don't even know what to ask for, but i think i'm going back to the Doc today. I've been putting it off with hopes that topa would just take a few more days to kick in. I don't think a higher dosage will do any good, could be stupidly wrong though, dunno.

More concerned with figuring out prevention then aborting right now though. Aborting i got down, prevention i'd like to figure out.

Going to see ask about prednisone, if anything just so i can be "normal" for a little while.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #27 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 9:13pm

Loric, we all understand how difficult it can be to comprehend while being in pain, the lack of sleep, money, Dr's etc. We have all been there, myself right now.

Try to look at the information you've been given and make your desicions. I've had to print out what is being said, so I can read it over and over, until I understand it.

Prednisone can give you a much needed break, but most often the CH is back once you finish the Rx, 5-10 days. For a few it breaks the cycle.

The O2 info is here in these posts, it's up to you to use it or not.

Hope you find relief,
Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #28 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 11:29pm

Well, today was a good ol' fashion "Dr is an idiot" day.

I don't even know why I gave in. I think I was desperate, but there is good news in all this - one, I took mental notes and googled some of the BS he fed me and was like "what the crap?"

He wouldn't give me verapamil and mentioned heart block, but tried to pretend my pulse rate was low, but it's entirely normal, cuz he showed me the number and I remembered it - and at the same time my blood pressure is actually high 160/90.

And let's not mention the two stupid shots in the butt he talked me into (eh, at least I got a cute nurse). One was  an anti-inflamitory and the other  for migraines. Whatever - I put up a good fight, I swear. In the spirit of "screw it, what harm could it do" I finally gave in.

So. things I did learn from all this.. maybe topamax is working?  On my way to Dr's I got a "minor" headache. I'm not really sure. I was like "ouch" but it never really escalated, just kinda lingered. After about 10mins of this, I went into a 7-11 (and seriously, i normally can't make it 10mins) and got an energy drink with taurine, drank that, and then went to the Dr's and was told i have high blood pressure by a very concerned young nurse.

Doctor gave me the prednisone btw, told me i can start taking it tomorrow. Haven't had any other hits though..

Went to the grocery store. Got more drinks with taurine. Big ones, little ones, shots, cherry, pina colada. Had another mild headache that passed in like 10mins, didn't even need the drink.

Not sure i'm cured.. but i'm optimistic.. still going to take the topamax on schedule. Certainly not crediting the shots in my butt. Will see how tonight goes for the prednisone..

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2010 at 11:42pm by Loric »  

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #29 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 11:43pm

Oh, in case you're curious what's injected in my butt:

Toradol: 60mg
Nubain: 10mg

Looked them up - they're really both just opiates it appears. Oh well, i guess i got the good stuff *shrug*

Correction - One's an "opioid" (synthetic) and the other is just darn spiffy anti-inflammatory.

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2010 at 11:46pm by Loric »  

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #30 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 7:39pm

I'm at like almost 36 hours with zero CH hits! I get some shadows but i'm kinda ok!

And i didn't take the prednisone!

I stuck it out through the night after butt-shots (thank you Doctor useless) but kept myself on the topamax and melatonin regime I've been on. Two hits that night.. one at like 3am.. another at 7am..

But nothing since then...  that's a good long time ago. I got through last night  Cool with nothing.

I hope i'm not overly optimistic. Still taking everything right on schedule but holding off on the prednisone as a "in case of emergency" ya know?

Side note - eye effects. Not pain, not pressure. But sort of a kinda twitchy almost like shutter or something, I remember it from before from the topamax. I realized in the last 48 hours that I used to have it intermittently when i was on it before, especially when i was tired or stressed, but this go round this is the first time it's made an appearance and this seems to be the first time my CH has been letting up. Maybe it's a good sign?

One can hope..

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #31 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 8:02pm

Go Loric, sure hope it's a sign the cycle is ending. May be the Topamax kicking in too. I wouldn't change a thing at this point. If you start to get hit again then I would start the Prednisone.

Curious, how did the Dr Rx the Pred? What Mg's to start, etc.

I stopped a K-8 wakeup this AM with the O2. I'm just coming up on my peak so I still have a way to go. My cycles last up to 6 mnths. 6 weeks in now.

Glad to hear you've gotten some PF time.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #32 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 8:26pm

10mg tabs, starting at 60mg the first day, 50 the next, etc.. so like 6 days.

Roughly identical that what my last general practitioner did if I remember correctly - except hers came in a blister pack with color coded instructions. Her office was much snazzier and had lollipops. She was part of a larger family practice. I miss her sample closet Sad

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #33 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 7:04pm

Well, this morning, right at the time change, 2-3am there it was.. then again a few hours later.. rebound or lingering headache around 10am, it wasn't as bad, but hung on for a while.. and i've been in a fog most of the day since then.

Grr..

Now i'm wondering if i double dosed the other night on topamax and caused miracles of science when i wasn't sure if i had taken it or not (really needs to write down or check it off when he takes pills) as i distinctly had a "did i take this before dinner..?" moment and took it after dinner "just in case" and counting backwards doses doesn't help since i dont remember if i started taking them in the morning or the evening.

Yup, totally starting to write down when i take everything. Still havent taken the pred.. still not sure i want to. Sad
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2010 at 7:07pm by Loric »  

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #34 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 7:22pm

Well.. here's to you demon. Om nom nom nom!

6 pred pills down the hatch.. lets hope that works, and i don't vomit or something - and i did just eat, like I was instructed to.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #35 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 7:42pm

Loric wrote on Mar 14th, 2010 at 7:22pm:
Well.. here's to you demon. Om nom nom nom!

6 pred pills down the hatch.. lets hope that works, and i don't vomit or something - and i did just eat, like I was instructed to.

Have some munchies standing by.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #36 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 9:04pm

To help prevent double dosing I have some of those pill containers that have slots for each day of the week. I've had the double dose problem obviously.

At one point I was taking so many meds that I have one container for daytime and one for night.

Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #37 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 7:47pm

I obviously double dosed, and more then once, as i went to reorder my topamax as i'm nearly out and pharmacy website bounced me back saying i was early for my refill. Crapola.

Got a few days left, so i'm going to make phone calls tomorrow and see about sorting that out. Would suck to screw up my dosing right now if i really am getting i right or am going out of cycle or something.. bleh.. can't win for losing.

I seem to be doing ok with the prednisone.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #38 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 8:06pm

They don't call it Dopeymax for nothing....

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #39 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 11:24pm

So far so good.. Now i'm just worried as the dosage goes down on the prednisone.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #40 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 3:55am

Crossing my fingers the prevent takes over for the Pred for ya. The pill box is an excellent idea, I don't take topomax so I can't blame that, I'm just old and can't remember how many pills I've taken! Those 7 day pill boxes are great aids.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #41 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 8:36pm

I'm on like the 4th day of prednisone and done pretty good, but yesterday and today around the time of my dosage I've noticed a sensation of what feels almost like sinus pressure on the same side as where I get my CH.

It's really mild though, like not even pain but moreso like being stuffed up and it usually subsides. It just troubles me - like that's a sign that the second I go off the prednisone I'm going to be dealing with full hits again. *sigh*

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #42 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 8:44am

Brew wrote on Mar 5th, 2010 at 1:59pm:
You can get O2 with a prescription, and if you have insurance it should pay for most or all of it. If you don't have insurance, you can go the welder's O2 route.

Click on and read the oxygen info link on the left. Here's a direct link to it:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
....or in my case, the oxygen supplier I use only needs a docs script.  My "M" tank cost $36/fill.  Not bad considering my insurance doesn't cover a penny.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #43 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 10:50am

Quote:
There didn't seem to be any practical advice at all on there for anyone who did not have access to any of the normal means for getting oxygen prescriptions, supplies, anything..

Lorac, you are in Fullerton which I know very well.  IF/WHEN you decide to get a script for medical 02 from your Dr.  Look in the phone book for either Apria or Lincare.  They are both excellent suppliers and will work with you to get to set up.  I pay 10.00 per e-tank.  Regulators can be bought on-line and if you can't afford the great non-rebreather for sale here right now, I will send you several cheaper versions to tide you over til you can.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #44 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 6:46pm

Update: Today's the last day of prednisone. Doesn't really matter, got hit last night anyways. Oh well.

It was just one though, which is.. rare.. so I'm trying to decide what deathcon level we're really at.

I'm sure it's because i was coming off the pred, but not so sure if it wasn't because i had screwed up my topamax dosages in the last week due to refill dates and stupidity.

Looking into new Dr's appointments, thinking of abandoning the guy who wont give me verapamil and who has never mentioned O2. Looking into the whole student health through the University (which I heard from others was a  fiasco to deal with).

They do EKG for free, yay, which means they'd likely fork over the verapamil which everyone else wont let me have - but when using their online scheduling tool if i put in "reason code"  -headache- no appointments come up but if i put in -facial pain- then there are openings with GP's.

I'm not sure I want to deal with that level of BS.

Advice?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #45 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 9:49pm

Loric wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 6:46pm:
Advice?

Silly question. Take the first appointment you can get and stay after it. Who knows? You might get a doc that actually knows something about patients, patience, medicine, and healing. Some of them are even so not full of themselves that they will learn from you.

I hope that wasn't too unfriendly and jerk-like.

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #46 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 10:07pm

The way their system appears to work is that it assigns a block of time to various problems/issues/etc.. and "headache" or "backache" or anything remotely major or lengthy gets 30mins while an initial consult or "facial pain" gets only 15mins. Apparently there's nothing the system is pulling up for those 30min blocks, at least not that i could convince it to pull up.

I think i might have actually just told it "high blood pressure" and left it at that even, since i want BP meds as it is. Did my online new patient forms and now i twiddle my thumbs until Thursday.

Hopefully this works out like one of my old dentists offices where the scheduling system acts like there's nothing available until you're an established patient, then miracle of miracles there's openings based on "priority" and since I tend be cooperative with scheduling people I tend to be a high priority.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #47 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 11:29pm

Brew wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 9:49pm:
Advice?

Silly question. Take the first appointment you can get and stay after it. Who knows? You might get a doc that actually knows something about patients, patience, medicine, and healing. Some of them are even so not full of themselves that they will learn from you.

I hope that wasn't too unfriendly and jerk-like.

Brew....PERFECT...

'twere me loric....I'd tell 'em anything close that got me in the door....then the work begins and I'd hammer 'em like I was getting....

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #48 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 11:37am

Update: Today's the last day of prednisone. Doesn't really matter, got hit last night anyways. Oh well.

It was just one though, which is.. rare.. so I'm trying to decide what deathcon level we're really at.

I'm sure it's because i was coming off the pred, but not so sure if it wasn't because i had screwed up my topamax dosages in the last week due to refill dates and stupidity.

Looking into new Dr's appointments, thinking of abandoning the guy who wont give me verapamil and who has never mentioned O2. Looking into the whole student health through the University (which I heard from others was a  fiasco to deal with).

They do EKG for free, yay, which means they'd likely fork over the verapamil which everyone else wont let me have - but when using their online scheduling tool if i put in "reason code"  -headache- no appointments come up but if i put in -facial pain- then there are openings with GP's.

I'm not sure I want to deal with that level of BS.

Advice?

Advise.........quit the poor me whining and get oxygen.

Potter

IP Logged

Loric
CH.com Junior

Tampa, FL
Reply #49 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 5:20pm

vietvet - don't post in my threads. You're a jerk.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!