Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How much TREX is too much? (Read 1193 times)
Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
How much TREX is too much?
Mar 3rd, 2010 at 12:29pm

I know in the last few years, I've seen this posted somewhere. But, I've been out of the loop for a while and can't seem to remember the answer. I do know that during this most recent cycle, I've been using trex quite often as I need to continue working. So if anyone could help me on how many shots are too many and how many pills are too many, I'd be forever grateful.

Much Luv and PF wishes
Pfunk Cool

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: How much TREX is too much?
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 2:14pm

Headache. 2004 Feb;44(2):178-82. 

Frequent triptan use: observations on safety issues.

Robbins L.

Department of Neurology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill. 60062, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the safety of frequent triptan use over extended periods. For a small group of patients with refractory migraine plus chronic daily headache, triptans are effective. METHODS: This retrospective study primarily evaluated the cardiac safety of daily triptan use in 118 patients and, in addition, hematologic tests were assessed. Each patient had utilized a triptan for a minimum of 4 days per week for at least 6 months. Patients with rebound headache had been withdrawn from the triptans. Most patients (97 of 118) averaged 1 tablet daily; most would occasionally go for several days without a triptan. Forty patients had taken a triptan for 6 months to 2 years, 37 patients from 2 to 4 years, and 41 for 4 or more years. RESULTS: Routine hematologic tests were performed periodically on all patients, and no abnormalities were attributable to triptans. Almost all patients had an electrocardiogram, and no abnormal electrocardiograms were felt to be related to triptans. Cardiac echocardiography was performed in 57 patients. The 10 abnormal echocardiograms were not due to triptans. All 20 cardiac stress tests revealed normal findings. Adverse events were minimal; 9 patients described fatigue due to triptans, and 5 had mild chest tightness. CONCLUSION: This long-term study of 118 patients indicates that frequent triptan use may be relatively safe.

PMID: 14756859 [PubMed ]
====================================================================
Funct Neurol. 2000 Jul-Sep;15(3):167-70.

Sumatriptan overuse in episodic cluster headache: lack of adverse events, rebound syndromes, drug dependence and tachyphylaxis.

Centonze V, Bassi A, Causarano V, Dalfino L, Cassiano MA, Centonze A, Fabbri L, Albano O.

Dept of Internal Medicine and Public Medicine, University of Bari, Italy.

This observational study was designed to examine the pattern of sumatriptan use in patients with cluster headache using more than the recommended daily dose of subcutaneously injected (s.c.) sumatriptan. Thirteen patients suffering from episodic cluster headache were asked to record the characteristics of their attacks and drug intake for 1 year. All reported a high daily frequency of attacks (more than 3 per day) and the related overuse of s.c. sumatriptan. The results show that the overall incidence of adverse events among patients receiving sumatriptan injections for the treatment of cluster headache is low. The extended administration of this drug in episodic cluster headache did not result in tolerance problems or tachyphylaxis. Only 4 patients experienced minor adverse events and recovered more slowly than the others. They suffered from migraine without aura and cluster headache, and showed a family history of migraine. Even though they must be viewed with caution, due to the observational nature of the study and the low number of patients included, these results suggest that the profile of sumatriptan may differ in cluster headache compared with migraine.

PMID: 11062845 
=======
Neurology. 2006 Oct 10;67(7):1128-34. [Publisher's note: information  correct as of 1/27/09.]
Risk of ischemic complications related to the intensity of triptan and ergotamine use.

Wammes-van der Heijden EA, Rahimtoola H, Leufkens HG, Tijssen CC, Egberts AC.

Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Science, Utrecht University, The Netherlands.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate whether the intensity of triptan and ergotamine use, in specific overuse, is associated with the risk of ischemic complications. METHODS: We conducted a retrospective nested case-control study using data from the PHARMO Record Linkage System. All patients with more than one prescription for either a triptan or ergotamine were initially identified. Cases were all patients who were admitted to the hospital for an ischemic complication. Matched controls were assigned the same index date as the cases. The determinant was the intensity of use of triptans and ergotamine during 1 year preceding the index date. OVERUSE WAS DEFINED AS USE OF > OR =90 DEFINED DAILY DOSES DURING THAT YEAR. Conditional logistic regression was used to estimate odds ratios (ORs), adjusting for confounders. Stratified analysis was used to estimate the risk for both patients using and those not using cardiovascular drugs. RESULTS: A total of 17,439 patients received more than one prescription. A total of 188 cases and 689 controls were identified. Triptan overuse was not associated with an increased risk of ischemic complications (OR 0.96; 95% CI: 0.49 to 1.90). Overuse of triptans in patients concomitantly using cardiovascular drugs did not increase this risk. Overuse of ergotamine turned out to be a risk factor for ischemic complications (OR 2.55; 95% CI: 1.22 to 5.36). Patients overusing ergotamine and concomitantly using cardiovascular drugs were at highest risk (OR 8.52; 95% CI 2.57 to 28.2).

CONCLUSIONS: IN GENERAL PRACTICE, TRIPTAN OVERUSE DOES NOT INCREASE THE RISK OF ISCHEMIC COMPLICATIONS. OVERUSE OF ERGOTAMINE MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF THESE COMPLICATIONS, ESPECIALLY IN THOSE SIMULTANEOUSLY USING CARDIOVASCULAR DRUGS.

PMID: 17030745 [PubMed ]
=======

Title: Triptan safety--latest statement
Post by Bob_Johnson on Jun 1st, 2004, 9:47am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this is a report on medications and not on the condition being treated, I believe it would be O.K. to apply these findings to folks with Cluster. NOTE: there are no comments about using triptans at the high/multiple dosing which is often done by cluster patients. (Treat everything below the line as a quotation. These are selected para. from the total report.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consensus Statement: Cardiovascular Safety Profile of Triptans (5-HT1B/1D Agonists) in the Acute Treatment of Migraine

Headache 44(5):414-425, 2004.

Posted 05/25/2004
Abstract
Background: Health care providers frequently cite concerns about cardiovascular safety of the triptans as a barrier to their use. In 2002, the American Headache Society convened the Triptan Cardiovascular Safety Expert Panel to evaluate the evidence on triptan-associated cardiovascular risk and to formulate consensus recommendations for making informed decisions for their use in patients with migraine.
Objective: To summarize the evidence reviewed by the Triptan Cardiovascular Safety Expert Panel and their recommendations for the use of triptans in clinical practice.
Participants: The Triptan Cardiovascular Safety Expert Panel was composed of a multidisciplinary group of experts in neurology, primary care, cardiology, pharmacology, women's health, and epidemiology.
Evidence and Consensus Process: An exhaustive search of the relevant published literature was reviewed by each panel member in preparation for an open roundtable meeting. Pertinent issues (eg, cardiovascular pharmacology of triptans, epidemiology of cardiovascular disease, cardiovascular risk assessment, migraine) were presented as a prelude to group discussion and formulation of consensus conclusions and recommendations. Follow-up meetings were held by telephone.
Conclusions: (1) Most of the data on triptans are derived from patients without known coronary artery disease. (2) Chest symptoms occurring during use of triptans are generally nonserious and are not explained by ischemia. (3) The incidence of serious cardiovascular events with triptans in both clinical trials and clinical practice appears to be extremely low. (4) The cardiovascular risk-benefit profile of triptans favors their use in the absence of contraindications.

----------
These data should be interpreted in view of characteristics of the patient population in migraine clinical trials. Generally, controlled clinical trials with triptans excluded patients with cardiovascular risk factors including known ischemic heart disease, symptoms or signs consistent with ischemic heart disease, cardiac arrhythmias requiring medication, and supine diastolic blood pressure >95 mm Hg and/or systolic blood pressure >160 mm Hg. Thus, the clinical trials data cannot be generalized to migraine sufferers with cardiovascular risk factors.

Triptans are associated with a modestly elevated incidence of chest symptoms (ie, triptan sensations) relative to placebo in well-controlled clinical trials that excluded patients with significant cardiac risk factors or known ischemic heart disease. The chest symptoms in clinical trials were generally transient, mild, and nonserious.

Given the widespread use of triptans, the risk of serious cardiovascular adverse events during postmarketing surveillance appears to be very low. While the risk of a serious cardiovascular event during triptan use appears to be very small, it cannot be dismissed. Serious cardiovascular events, some of which resulted in death, have been reported in association with triptans during postmarketing surveillance. The causal association of triptan use with serious cardiovascular adverse events is difficult to determine based on the postmarketing surveillance data alone.
=========

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2010 at 2:22pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 5:54pm

You won't be in so much danger of the 'ol trex OD (or of running out) if you follow the imitrex tip for injections, which enables you to abort 2 to 3 times as many attacks as can be aborted with ordinary dosing.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the link:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Since adopting this approach, overdosing has become a non issue for me.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2010 at 5:55pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 6:43pm

Welcome,

Although the trex has saved me before, i consider it poison. Some might scalp me for that statement, But it is just no longer a choice i will make at crunch time anymore.

Yes it will stop that beast dead in its tracks, But will it stop my heart on the same track??

Anyone who has had even a kip 6 knows this is some serious stuff and will do anything to just make it stop.

But ever since i had my 02, I have not had 1 shot. I hope you do not give up the search in finding your anwser.

Thanks, Coach bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 7:22am

In a pinch, sure. The way I view it, every attack I abort with a triptan will get added onto the end of my cycle - kind of a "one-for-one" on the rebound headaches. It may not actually work that way, but it keeps the triptan use down to an "as needed" basis.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 7:49pm

I never liked triptans because they were not very reliable for me.  Between O2 and Zyprexa, I hadnt had to use triptans too much.

I try to stay away from 2 triptans in 24 hours.  I use Maxalt MLT these days, so the tip doesnt help me.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!