Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grapes seem to help my husband.. (Read 2033 times)
B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

England, UK
Grapes seem to help my husband..
Mar 2nd, 2010 at 7:18am

Hello

My husband has been diagnosed with a variation of ch for about 7 months now.. and he's been trying everything, and nothing seems to prevent them.. (alto imitrex injections and red bull abort them)

Recently I've been doing some research online to see if I could find any natural remedies.. I was not able to find anything that references ch, so I started searching for migraine remedies as they have similar characteristics..

I came across something that suggested pure grape juice helps.. or just a bowl of grapes..!

So as I make our lunches for work every day, I have been putting in a small bowl of grapes in his..

Now this may be coincidence, as his verap and indomethacin have also been upped slightly.. (back to a level he was at previously) but he has been having some great weeks, better than he has for months! Also over the few days that we run out of grapes, or he doesn't eat them for some reason, he starts to display mild symptoms of ch returning.

Altho this may just be coincidence I thought I'd let you know in case it may help someone else! There's nothing to lose as grapes are good for you anyway.. and not exactly expensive!

It'd be good to hear if this does anything for anyone else?

Bex
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2010 at 7:19am by B »  

IP Logged

NovellRed
CH.com Junior

x0|San Diego|USA||0|0|CA,California
Re: Grapes seem to help my husband..
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 4:39pm

When I am in a cycle, I drink a 50/50 mix of grape juice and ginger ale just before bed.
I read about the grape juice/ginger ale cocktail and tried it. No harm trying stuff.
Does it help? With these things who knows? But it tastes good and I feel like I am doing something. And feeling like I am doing something, does help.

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 9:59pm

I tried grapes as they do help other types of headaches.  What "variation" of ch does he have? 

Grapes didnt help me much, but that doesnt mean anything with CH.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

England, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 6:14am

I say variation as his neuro isn't completely sure yet..!
He keeps refering to his condition as "Cluster Headaches" but his symptoms aren't a typical as the duration of each attack is relatively short.. so the neuro has suggested he may have Paroxysmal Hemicrania instead.

He's being tried on indomethacin as well as verap which seem to help.. but it seems a little hit and miss at the moment, as his dosages are being put up and down like a yoyo..! But at the moment he is doing well.. and that coincides with the grapes!

IP Logged

Revolvr
CH.com Newbie

Phoenix AZ
Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:12am

CH is a complicated thing which is affected by many factors. For some people, the CH frequency and/or intensity is affected by blood pH levels. Do a search on posts by "Batch" as he has researched this a lot.

Anyway, improvements have been seen by increasing alkalinity of the blood. This is done by changing diet and eating foods that tend to increase alkalinity and staying away from foods that tend to be acid forming.

Grapes are one of those foods that are very good at increasing alkalinity. You might also try lemonade. Most fruits and vegetables are good while meats and dairy are acid forming. This may be why some benefit is seen by eating grapes.

Just one hypothesis anyway.

IP Logged

B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

England, UK
Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 12:31pm

Hi revolver

Well it's interesting to know why they may be helping.. as I have been trying to figure that out.. but as yet haven't been able to!

Will do a search on the posts.. and see what it comes up with Smiley thanks

IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 7:09pm

interesting info revolvr. im buying some grapes and lemonade tonight. during one cycle i eliminated all dairy and i think it did abort my cycle. i have tried so many different herbs and tricks that i thought it was just a coincidence, but maybe it wasn't. i dont eat much dairy, but i love my flax cereal in the morning with milk.

IP Logged

Revolvr
CH.com Newbie

Phoenix AZ
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:58pm

koctail wrote on Mar 4th, 2010 at 7:09pm:
interesting info revolvr. im buying some grapes and lemonade tonight. during one cycle i eliminated all dairy and i think it did abort my cycle. i have tried so many different herbs and tricks that i thought it was just a coincidence, but maybe it wasn't. i dont eat much dairy, but i love my flax cereal in the morning with milk.

Yea I'll tell ya I try every trick I can come up with - or anyone else can come up with. Sometimes I think just changing diet or meds from time to time confuses the beast. Within this episode I've had a couple of PF days that I can't figure out.

About 8 months ago I switched to a mostly vegan diet - veggies, hold the dairy. My blood pH is probably already on the alkaline side - but still tried lots of lemonade. Jury is still out but I suspect it made the O2 a little more effective. I seem to abort the CH faster. If you like cereal and milk, consider trying soy milk; try the vanilla flavor. You might like it better than milk.

IP Logged

NancyB
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:20am

I have a dairy allergy so don't use milk or anything made with milk anyway. Almond milk is good. Anyone try cranberries? Always good for a bladder infection, Also red or green grapes or does it make any difference?

IP Logged

B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

England, UK
Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 10:50am

Hi Nancy!
My husbands been eating green grapes! But he ate both red and green the first week..
I read that red grapes can cause headaches.. but suppose different for everyone..

Hope this helps!

Bex
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2010 at 10:51am by B »  

IP Logged

Tortured  Tom
CH.com Junior

Oh look a headache; that's
orginal.

Near Blackpool
Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 4:31am

The red and black grapes contain high-levels of tannins.  These can trigger headaches/migraines and perhaps that's why some people report red wine triggering headaches but white wine less so?

Tortured  Tom  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!