Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Energy Drinks (Read 2202 times)
Stringbean
CH.com Newbie

Mt. Perry, Ohio
Energy Drinks
Feb 28th, 2010 at 5:41pm

I've heard alot people say Red Bull, Has anyone tried any of the other energy drinks with any success or failure? Just curious. Long time Clusterwarrior, New to the site!!

chad.pepple  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Energy Drinks
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 5:46pm

I've seen a bunch of different name brands and generics posted on the board, the only common denominator seems to be the combo of caffeine and taurine. Outside of that it's just a question of taste and price! My current favorite is Red Bull sugar free!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Cassandra
CH.com Junior

The best thing in my life
is my son!

x0|Riesterstown|USA||0|0|MD,Maryland
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 6:00pm

i tried rockstar.. but that's because i hate redbull..  i looked for the energy drink that had the most taurine.

WWW http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=searc Cassandra9988 susie152  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 8:29pm

My fave is NOS. Plenty of caffeine and taurine for a clusterhead, And the great thing is that they have three flavors: original (passionfruit), grape, and fruit punch.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 9:18pm

I keep a stock of ALDI brand Red Thunder on hand at all times.  I've become accustomed to the taste, and so long as it's room temp I can slam a can in 30 seconds flat.

I'm on a tight budget, so I take what I can afford.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Arde
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Dayton, TX.
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 9:37pm

I'm using Rip It, flavor, stinger mo. Normally 99 cents a can, occasionally 79 cents on sale. It has 1016mg. of taurine  and 85mg. of caffeine.
Tastes better than other drinks I've tried and I think the price is hard to beat.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 9:39pm

I noticed that Aldi recently raised their price on Red Thunder to $3.99 per 4 pack, or basically a buck a can. Many convenience stores around here are selling 16 oz. cans of NOS at 2 for $3, which is, at least for me in these parts, cheaper than Red Thunder.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

BC_Battler
CH.com Junior

Stay strong

x0|West Coast|Canada||0|0|BC,British_Columbia
Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 10:00pm

Sugar free Rock Star does the trick for me.

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 10:27pm

Brew wrote on Feb 28th, 2010 at 9:39pm:
I noticed that Aldi recently raised their price on Red Thunder to $3.99 per 4 pack, or basically a buck a can. Many convenience stores around here are selling 16 oz. cans of NOS at 2 for $3, which is, at least for me in these parts, cheaper than Red Thunder.

That still would come out to $1.50 per abort for the NOS, and Red Thunder at $1.00 per abort wouldn't it?  Unless you are getting more than one about per 16 oz. can? 

I'm so confused.... Shocked

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 10:33pm

Redd wrote on Feb 28th, 2010 at 10:27pm:
That still would come out to $1.50 per abort for the NOS, and Red Thunder at $1.00 per abort wouldn't it?  Unless you are getting more than one about per 16 oz. can? 

I'm so confused.... Shocked

It's about 2 cents cheaper per ounce. I guess you can use it however you wish. I just crunch the numbers. Wink

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 5:38pm

I prefer 5hr Energy.  A bit more expensive, but a lot easier on the the stomach than the others.  Also, at 2.5 oz a lot easier to get down in a hurry.  The concentration of B vitamins also helps with keeping irritability to a minimum.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

dylano393
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cloquet, Minnesota
Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 6:09pm

I use to drink 3 or 4 Monster Lo-carbs a day and I would have 2 or 3 attacks a year. I never paid attention until last week when I ended up in the ER twice with the worst attack in 3 years. Since then I have slammed a red bull on two different occations and the attack stopped. I am now drinking 2 or more Monsters a day. I beleive it works!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:05pm

There are some on the board who say never ever relax...that's when they get slammed. I suspect the energy drinks might be helping you avoid the let down attacks. That being said, you may want to look into oxygen and some of the other prevents currently enjoying success here.

Welcome to the board.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 1:20am

Questions about energy drinks...

1. Can someone explain how the Taurine/Caffeine combo help abort attacks?

2. There are several sizes of these canned energy drinks.  Has there been any studies on how may mg of Taurine and/or Caffeine are recommended to abort an attack?

3. Can Taurine tablets from the health food store and a caffeine supplement be used instead of these hard to swallow horrible tasting energy drinks?

4. Is the purpose of chugging these energy drinks fast because the faster you consume, the faster you abort attack or what is the purpose of recommended fast speed of "slamming", "chugging" it down fast?

Thanks in advance for replies

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

NancyB
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:06am

I seem to be in the minority here, but energy drinks didn't work for me. Slammed an 5 hour energy drink and vibrated for the next 12 hours. Just a plain old coke seems to work though. Buuurp! Oh excuse me. Does make you gassy .

IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Reply #15 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:40am

My portable energy dink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bang! effervescent tablets

WWW itotka  
IP Logged

NancyB
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 11:08am

Never seen that before- does it have all the usual stuff in it?

IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Reply #17 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 12:12pm

800 mg taurine
30 mg coffeine (not too much but I have 100 mg coffeine tablets)
B2,B3,B5,B6, C vitamins
per dose
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2010 at 12:13pm by itotka »  

WWW itotka  
IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #18 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 1:53pm

This is a great discussion!   Who would have known there are so many different options and price considerations.

Being a morning sufferer for 25 years, I find that a coca-cola about 9am pushes my headache back until the afternoon.  More caffeine around 1pm pushes them away for the day a lot of times.  Of course some sneak through.  Coffee, tea and nodoz(200mg caffeine pills) work also. 

I have never taken the taurine, but someone assured me you could get it at a pharmacy in it's pure form.  I haven't looked.  My guess is you could combine your caffinated drink of choice with the taurine if needed, allowing us to escape the energy drinks if we like. 

As some of you know my headaches have taken a huge turn for the better since I started following the clusterbusters ideas on their website.  I let a cycle come through over the holidays (due to poor recognition skills on my part) and had to spend 3 weeks managing my slight pain.  Only 2-3 real CH's snuck through.  Other than weekly psycedelic doses I jacked up on coffee or coca cola each morning and then the same in the afternoon until my cycle ended. 

So I kind of think it is the caffeine, but if redbull or 'rip-it' or 'whoop ass' works for you stick with it.  They are kind of nasty to me and full of chemical junk I probably wouldn't want to drink for the rest of my life.

--Shaggy 
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2010 at 1:54pm by shaggyparasol »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!