Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ear/Sinus Infections (Read 1332 times)
Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Ear/Sinus Infections
Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:48am

I've been MIA for a bit here. I had been HA free for almost 2 years to the day. I counting my blessings as I have a 2 year old son and did/do not want him to have to see me going through this. So far, the only attacks I've had occurred while he was asleep or not around.
Anyway, my cycle started back this time after I found out I had a bad ear infection. This didn't surprise me as they normally start after i get a sinus infection. Are there any correlation between the two and is it possible that the antibiotics could be making the attacks worse? Thanks a bunch for any info.

Much Luv-
Pfunk Cool

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

Wayne
CH.com Old Timer

RedBull Rules!!

Christchurch, New Zealand|
Re: Ear/Sinus Infections
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 5:04am

Hey Pfunk

I have a definite association between an ear infection in my left ear (cluster side) and increased ch activity. The question I can't answer though is what causes what, is it the cluster activity that causes stress in my ear or is it the ear that exites the cluster. I haven't managed to quantify the effect of antibiotics though. All I know is that when my ear is blocked and sore the ch is worse, antibiotics help the ear and I get back to normal. Interestingly I am very prone to infections in the left ear (twice a year at least) - and Drs are at a loss to explain why - whereas my right ear is fine.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 8:16am

Well, I'm strange I guess. Right now, I tested positive for the Pig Flu and my sinus is infected (am on stuff for that as well as Tamiflu) BUT no CH. Go figure...

I have a "regular" headache (the doc said that goes with this mess) but it's not CH.  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 11:18am

Yeah....cause and effect......always a tough one. I had constant ear aches as a child, stopped at about 10 years old, and don't believe I ever had a sinus infection. So no help here! Undecided

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 7:50pm

My first cycle ever, I go to the doctor, get diagnosed with a sinus infection, and took antibiotics... the beast left after a few days. I'm not saying that antibiotics cure clusters, but in my case, they didn't cause them.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 6:52am

just went to my gp yesterday to get my right ear (cluster side)  checked cause it was sore and found out I had a ear infection.been in cycle for a couple of months now he put me on anti biotics for the ear infection just my input. Smiley

IP Logged

WileyP
CH.com Newbie

Lord, help me be the man
my dog thinks I am

Northern New Mexico, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 11:33pm

The H1N1 had me down for 10 days in early September. Episode started early November, accompanied with a major kidney infection. For the first 7 days of the antibiotic regimen for that, the ch's were fewer and of lower intensity.

IP Logged

boxcorner
CH.com Junior

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 2:51am

Pfunk wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:48am:
... any correlation between the two and is it possible that the antibiotics could be making the attacks worse? ...

I used to suffer sinusitis chronically, treated by countless courses of different antibiotics.  I didn't know about CHs; my episodic head pain was 'mis-diagnosed' as sinus pain and nerve damage-related, as I had had 3 sinus operations. Since then my sinusitis has become episodic and I have been diagnosed chronic (CH).  So, your guess is as good as mine.  For all I know, it was all the antibiotics that I took, or nerve damage resulting from surgery that caused my CH to flip (episodic/chronic).  So, as regards cause and effect, I doubt I will ever know, unless I could roll back and run my life again without taking any antibiotics, or having surgery.  As regards the semantics, for as long as I can any longer remember, I've constantly had PAIN somewhere in my head, of one sort or another.  Call it what you want, but for me it simply remains a 4-letter expletive, something that I just wish someone would delete.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2010 at 5:32am by boxcorner »  

IP Logged

vig
CH.com Alumnus

CHit Happens

x1|Raleigh|USA|usa|475|180|NC,North_Carolina
Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 4:42pm

I had 4 ear infections in the 2 years before my CH started....

I've always assumed they were related, but no idea how.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
WWW alongivsiuolluap  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!