Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question in re to neck pain (Read 1387 times)
littlebit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Question in re to neck pain
Feb 16th, 2010 at 11:49pm

Does anyone else get knots up and down the front part of your neck on the same side as the pain that hurt during a cycle. I was recently diagnosed with Cluster Headaches after suffering with them for 8 years on and off.  While researching this condition I haven't read to much specifically in re to lots of pain in the neck.  I'm just starting a new cycle about 4 days in, man I hate this and really wish it would just never happen again. Anyway if you have any input I'd love to hear it.

Thanks Littlebit

IP Logged

Fred
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Las Vegas, NV 
Re: Question in re to neck pain
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 12:03am

Hi, and welcome.
I get lots of neck pain, but no knots, and it usually is in the back/side, then creeps up to the base of the skull. All this takes place within 5 min or so before the ch hits hard. Not sure if this is what you are asking, but thought I'd let you know.

Mom always said life was a bowl of cherries, she didn't tell me it was the pits.

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 3:45am

i get the same as fred pain in the back of the neck when the hit starts creeps up! the side

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 6:42am

Quote:
it usually is in the back/side, then creeps up to the base of the skull.
At the Vancouver OUCH convention, Dr. Robinson informed us that this is the result of an inflamed nerve ganglion in that location.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2010 at 8:04am by Bob P »  

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 7:03am

it sucks

that's all i can contribute  Angry

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 7:18am

does this picture looks any familiar to you?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

i just found it and i can say this is how it feelsin the back (except the hand and more red to the x spot)
at least for me

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 2:05pm

Referred pain is common in CH- the signals get misdirected down the neck. And tension during a hit can tighten up muscles on the affected side and lead to persistent neck-aches in my experience.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 2:59pm

Its a common feature of a CH attack. During episodes this gets compounded because of overall stiffness of your back and shoulders in anticipation of the next hit. You may want to try regular massages just to try and relieve some of the general tenseness during episode periods.

During hits you may also want to try turning your head so that you stretch and pull the muscle in question. This can lead to 2-3 PF seconds. Not much, but during a 8 KIP that can be a real beauty.

IP Logged

littlebit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 4:32pm

Thank you everyone for responding. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one with this particular pain. And Yes it Sucks!!! YAY US! This site is such a blessing.

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 5:56am

Oh and something else that has crossed my mind.
In the past i had a carotid dopler test as i thought that this pain in front of the neck might has something to do with this.
The results where clear so if this idea crosses your mind too don't do it.
we are perfectly healthy Cheesy

IP Logged

littlebit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 4:25pm

This is to Black, That is exactly what I was thinking. I thought maybe I had something else going on too. I'm glad you have ruled that out for me. I'm seriously so grateful to have people to talk to that understand. You can try and describe it to someone else but unless you get them you cannot even fathom how horrible and how painful and how diplitating they are.  Thank You Everyone here!

IP Logged

matt m
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 10:14pm

I have neck pain too and have had several tests done including a neck mri. every test came back negative. Today I went to a new nuerolagist , a very experieced doc in his early 80's he assured me that the neck pain was a result of the ch's not the cause. He changed my meds up some and he told me of a treatment called Gamma knife treatment,which is a pinpoint type of microwave. He wasn't trying to sell me on it but if nothing else works I'd be willing tl try it . Most of the patients had good or fair results.this might be an option for the more chronic suferers. hope this helps someone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!