Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to site: Imitrex Questions (Read 849 times)
neil17
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Long Island
New to site: Imitrex Questions
Feb 15th, 2010 at 6:16pm

Hi, and I'm sorry for everyone who must suffer with these diabolical headaches.  I have been getting the cycles for over 40 years, but nothing ever worked for me until I found Imitrex, and the injection works within 6-8 minutes; but here are my questions:

1) I'm well aware of the 2 injections within 24-hour rule, but I changed that rule to 3 a few years ago, and though that doesn't happen often, I was wondering if anyone else is pushing the envelope?  I'm sure most people have reached the point where they almost didn't care, you just need relief!!

2) On occasion, I haven't located my injection properly (I use my thighs), and some of the medication flows down my leg.  This does not seem to alter it's effectiveness however, which leads me to think that smaller doses might be better, especially if that would permit extra injections!  I'm prett sure I wrote a letter regarding this to GlaxoSmithKline years ago, but never received a response; comments anyone?

3) I've had all kind of difficulty on occasion with insurance companies, trying to get the medication. One company decided that a 30-day supply was 4 injections!  Sad   Other times, after my doctor's intervention, I was given way more than I could possibly use, which brings me to my next question regarding expiration dates.  I'm guessing that many people have used it past the exp. date, but I'm wondering how far??  I know that I've used it at least many months after, and it has always worked.  Also, I've heard that when medication gets older, it does not get dangerous, it just loses some of it's potency, but since lower doses seem to work anyway, that shouldn't be a problem.

4) Since the injections are so precious, I don't use it until I'm absolutely sure that I need to!  Sometimes, I'll load up the injector, clean the site with an alcohol swab, and place the injector on my thigh, but not fire, and the beast subsides. My question is, can you place the medication back into the holder, and reload it again at another time, or should you just leave it loaded?

5) Lastly, though the medication works quickly for me, most times the pain intensifies after the injection, until finally subsiding a few minutes later.  Is that common??

Thanks for viewing and any insight you can provide.  And may you all find relief!!   Smiley

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Re: New to site: Imitrex Questions
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 7:42pm

HEY
READ THE IMITEX TIP ON THE LEFT COLUMN IT WORKS WONDERS FOR EXTENDING YOUR IMITREX! AS FOR EXPIRATION MY DOC SAID TO PAY NO ATTENTION TO EXPIRATION ITS FDA REGULATION AND A WAY FOR THEM TO MAKE YET MORE MONEY!!! AS LONG AS U KEEP IT IN A ROOM TEMP DRY ENVIRONMENT! MY 2 CENTS Wink

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 7:58pm

I have only a little experience with imitrex, and it was all positive. Worked great for me. Read the imitrex tip on the left, it'll show you how to get more bang outta each shot! And several people have posted of using expired trex and it worked fine.

That being said....read the oxygen info tab on the left. Works as fast or faster then imitrex, way cheaper and no side effects. I still keep Imitrex around in case I get caught without my oxygen, but oxygen is far and away my first choice.

Does your doc have you on any kind of a preventative medication? Verapamil, Lithium, Topomax? The idea being to reduce the number of hits so you're not always having to abort attacks.

Welcome to the board, danged glad you found us!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 8:08pm

During my last cycle this past fall I used several injections with expiration dates of 04 and 05 and they worked just fine.

DD

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 1:33am

During my last episode I used some that were over TEN years old. They worked fine.

You came to the right place to ask these questions Neil17, because that imitrex tip Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is really going to save you as it has me.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 6:49am

You can cut way beck on the Imitrex use if you got Oxygen.

Many of us who use Imitrex are concerned that the frequency of our hits and length of our cycle is increased by Imitrex use. Have you noticed this at all? This concern hasn't stopped me from using it but it did motivate me to make sure I had O2 so that I only had to use Imitrex as little as possible.

Scott

IP Logged

Revolvr
CH.com Newbie

Phoenix AZ
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:16pm

Just a couple of observations.

I quit using the thigh and now find a spot above the belt to the right or left side. Don't feel a thing. Be sure to keep the needle in a full 5 seconds.

I have used injections as much as 8 years out of date without a problem.

After your CH episode is over, keep the prescriptions coming and build up a stash. See if you can get a parallel script for the nasal spray.

Use O2 as much as possible to keep the Imitrex daily use down. Most of us have probably blown the 2 or 3 a day limit at one time or another, or another.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 7:56am

You can definitely use expired trex and you can also load the injection back into the Stat box.  I use the tip on the left and get 6 injections out of 2.  I inject myself without the injector using a q-tip to push the juice into the skin.  I actually mark the vial in thirds.  Less of a dose means more shots and less chance of rebounds.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!