Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Verapamil (Read 1838 times)
Sonia-MA
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Question about Verapamil
Feb 13th, 2010 at 3:00pm

My Neuro has me taking 80mg of Verapamil daily as a preventative.  I should mention that in addition to CH, I also have optical migraines, which are not painful at all...they just cause a minor disturbance in my vision (flashes etc.).  It is my understanding that Verapamil is a common treatment for both conditions. 

I've read on the boards that many people only take Verapamil during and post an attack.  I was wondering if anyone other sufferers take it as a preventative...or if I should revisit this topic with my doctor.  I don't want to take medications that aren't necessary.
Thanks!

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: Question about Verapamil
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 3:24pm

Sonia-MA wrote on Feb 13th, 2010 at 3:00pm:
My Neuro has me taking 80mg of Verapamil daily as a preventative. 

I was wondering if anyone other sufferers take it as a preventative...

That's pretty much its purpose as a course of action. 

Yes.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2010 at 3:25pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 5:06pm

Verapamil is a very common preventative, taken daily while in cycle to reduce attacks. The dose you are at is very low. Some on the board go as high as 960 mg a day before they get relief. That being said, do not increase or decrease your dosing without consulting your doc as it requires monitoring.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 7:44pm

An effective dose for me is 720 mg per day.

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 7:47pm

I am taking 40 mg a day divided into 2 doses.  I am not in cycle.  I am also undecided on what to do, but see my doctor in a couple of weeks.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 9:29pm

Quote:
I am not in cycle

Then why do you continue to take it?

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 12:41am

seaworthy wrote on Feb 13th, 2010 at 9:29pm:
Quote:
I am not in cycle

Then why do you continue to take it?

I am afraid to quit.  Ever since I started it 2 years ago, when I taper, I have slight shadows.  I never had this happen before I started it for the first time 2 cycles ago.  That is why I am seeing a new doctor, more specific for Clusters in 2 weeks.  I have waited about 6 months to see her.  All I can be certain of is that until 2 years ago, my head problems were completely over after my cycle ended...and since then, I have occasional faint shadows between cycles.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 7:38am

The question of taking Verap when not in an active period is one I've never seen discussed in the medical literature. I know of a couple of people who stay on it 100% of the time, regardless of the state of the CH.

Whether your low dose actually keeps a cycle from emrging is an interesting question. Unfortunately, even if you never have an attack while using 80mg daily does not prove the med is the cause. We would need some large scale trials to get some insight into that one.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

jlcalbre
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 10:01am

I take 120 mg twice a day whether I am in or out of cycle.  I have tried to get off of it out of cycle and my headaches have come back immediately, and stopped as soon as Igot back on it so I just stay on it all the time.  I have always been that way no maater what preventative I have been on, so I don't think it's trait of the verapamil.  I have come to the conclusion I am a chronic suffererer (not episodic as I always thought) that is mostly controlled by preventatives with episodes that can't be controlled by anything.

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 10:08am

Chronic;

Attacks recur over >1 year without remission periods or with remission periods lasting <14 days

IP Logged

cavalier
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 5:20pm

I was taking 240mg daily for the last 3 years but had to stop after a heart attack in December, as far as i'm aware this had nothing to do with Verapamil.
It seemed to me to be the answer from severe attacks but who knows!.
They have warned me however that i can't take it with the medication i'm now on as it could prove fatal.
Bisoprolol 5mg
Ramipril 2.5mg
Atorvastatin 80mg
Clopidogrel 75mg
They gave me citalopram 20mg to help with ch. which are anti depressants.
To be honest i really don't know anymore.
You'll try anything to keep it away.
Colin

IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 5:27pm

i take 480 mg/daily and have done so for about 5-6 years. i dont experience any side effects. i used to only take it during my cycle and then taper off afterwards. 6 years ago when i tried tapering off the headache came back. my dr. agreed there is no harm in staying on all the time so that is what i have done. i have found that my remissions are longer, but when i do have a cycle, like now, i have more headaches daily then i used to. i too am scared to stop taking it.

IP Logged

burnt-toast
CH.com Hall of Famer

economy|USA|PA
Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 6:46pm

I utilize it as a preventative - My standard dosage is 720mg Verapamil combined with 1200mg Lithium Carbonate daily.  This appears to be the threshold of my tolerance.  More Lithium causes severe hand tremors, more Verapamil causes significant and painful leg swelling.   

I'm never fully off of these drugs but with input from my Neurologist, I increase and decrease dosages along with CH activity.  During peroids of reduced activity I've managed to get down to 300mg Lithium Carbonate/240mg Verapamil  without sudden spikes in CH activity.  Going to lower dosages has led to rapid increases in CH activity.  In the reverse, as CH activity incrases I increase up to my tolerance level.

I've also experimented with dosages schedules to retain some control.  If a consistent shift in the time(s) CH activity occurs.  I shift my dosage schedule to try and stay an hour or two ahead of attacks.  It's a constant battle to retain control but the results are well worth the work.

Detailed information on this and other prescription drugs is available at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

burnt-toast
(Tom) 

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!