Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To pred or not to pred. (Read 4462 times)
krojo
CH.com Junior

What did CH'ers do before
the Internet?!

New York, NY
To pred or not to pred.
Feb 12th, 2010 at 11:09am

Greetings to you all. I hate the Beast and I love this site. Anybody with this disease, and especially those currently in cycle, have my sympathy.

I'm an episodic sufferer currently in what I think is my 5th ever cycle. It started about 5 days ago and has been getting pretty gnarly recently (3 attacks during last night). I'm using O2 but it seems a little less effective than in years past.

My neurologist is out today and won't be back in the office until Tuesday. I told him that I have a bottle of Prednizone at the ready (from a scare last April).  He advised me to start taking (100mg, 90mg...10mg) for 10 days.

In my limited experience, Prednizone will keep the Beast at bay, but he comes back AS SOON as you stop taking it. This means that I can expect it to return about Monday 02/22.

OK, here's my question...
I have a sort of important trip booked 02/25 - 03/01. I'll be going out of town where I'll have no neurologist and no O2 - Just Imitrex which I'm not crazy about.

Do you all think it's better to just suffer for a while and time my Prednizone to coincide with my trip or is that just crazy talk and you think I should take it now in the hope (like my doc' seems to think) that it could abort the whole cycle?

Thanks,
Rob
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2010 at 12:12pm by krojo »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: To pred or not to pred.
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 11:14am

You wanna delete one of these duplicate threads?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

krojo
CH.com Junior

the Internet?!

New York, NY
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 11:39am

Not sure how I posted it twice, but I just removed the earlier one. Thanks for pointing out. I hope others have comments on my question.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 1:09pm

Using the Pred. stops a cycle rapidly but it's not a med to use for long periods. Therefore, the normal approach is to start--at the same time you begin Ped--a long term preventive, Verapamil being the most widely used.

Verap takes a number of days to become effective, hence, starting it at the same time as the Pred. Dose adjustments for Verap are not uncommon--see following.
=======
Headache. 2004 Nov;44(10):1013-8.   

Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster headache patients.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Background.-Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses-720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved. Objective.-To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly. Methods.-Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary. Results.-Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. Conclusions.-Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary. (Headache 2004;44:1013-1018).
------
Associated with preceding:
SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.
=================

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the better overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article--link, line above--if you are serious about keeping a good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

krojo
CH.com Junior

the Internet?!

New York, NY
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:30pm

Thanks Bob. That is good advice and good information.

I called my doctor back and he agreed that it makes sense to start Verapamil at the same time as the Prednizone. He called me in a prescription for 240 mg. I didn't want to start with him on the phone about this short-release theory because he sounds quite impatient, but will talk to him about it when I visit him next week.
-Rob

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 3:05pm

Personally I would wait until one day before the trip to start the pred.

IP Logged

krojo
CH.com Junior

the Internet?!

New York, NY
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 4:51pm

Thanks for your reply, Seaworthy.

Waiting could be a good option.

So, my options now are:
1. Start with Verap and Pred. at the same time, today:
Pros: May be cluster-free starting tonight, may cover the "lag time" of Verap, decreasing the overall number of headaches in my cycle.
Cons: If Verap doesn't do it's job, I'll be exposed during my trip.

2. Start with ONLY Verap. today and wait until just before my trip (as you recommended)
Pros: Good possibility that I'll be covered on my trip
Cons: Will certainly continue headaches during Verap. "lag time"

You advise #2. Is this because you don't have much faith in Verap? I sort of don't either. I've taken with my last few cycles, but never really thought I was sure of it's effectiveness. As we see in brief shared by Bob, this could be simply because of unsuitable dosing for me.

I guess I'd like to hear you elaborate if you have more thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Rob

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 5:16pm

There is anecdotal evidence that verapamil may extend your cycle, thus increasing the overall number of headaches in your cycle.

240mg/day of verapamil is a relatively low dose for CH'ers. Most don't find relief until 360mg/day or higher (480mg/day is a common break point). That may explain seaworthy's lack of confidence in the verapamil - it's not the drug, it's the dosage.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 6:55pm

Exactly. I dont go through a cycle without verap but thats at 720 mg per day.

I'd start your verap today and try to hold off on the pred until your ready to travel.

Ask the Doc about an increase in the verap between now and the 25th.

As for the lag time there are ways to manage. Bag of frozen peas, energy drinks, and good old strong coffee will help.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2010 at 7:02pm by seaworthy »  

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 9:19pm

So you'll just have Imitrex for your powerful abortive when you're on the trip - well if it is the injectible form it'll be powerful, not so much if pill form.

Are you prescribed the injections? if so, have you run across the imitrex tip yet that is a major help for  keeping you from OD'ing or running out?

Imitrex tip: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

krojo
CH.com Junior

the Internet?!

New York, NY
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 9:32pm

Thanks guys for your comments. I've decided to start with the Verapamil and hold off on the Prednizone until my trip, but will be discussing with my neuro on Monday.

IP Logged

krojo
CH.com Junior

the Internet?!

New York, NY
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 9:37pm

Beejeeper, yes I do have Imitrex injections and have been stock-piling for some time. Even so, I feel so uncomfortable taking a trip (away from O2) while in cycle, but maybe I need to just do it and rely on the Imitrex.

I have heard of the Imitrex trick, but never tried it. I think I will because I really dislike the feeling of a tight throat, flush face and so on that I get with a full 6mg injection.

-Rob

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 1:43am

krojo wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 9:37pm:
I have heard of the Imitrex trick, but never tried it. I think I will because I really dislike the feeling of a tight throat, flush face and so on that I get with a full 6mg injection.

-Rob

Now yer talkin!

There are many Imitrex users here including myself who swear by this method.

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
IP Logged

Tim Flanigan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 7:01am

Grin GrinI had done the prednisone from 80mg then 75mg then 70mg down to 30 then the beast came back.  I had a new procedure done called gamma knife surgery the day before thanksgiving it worked some how the neurologist used radiation to kill the nerve endings where the pain would be and also the nerve that made my nose drain.  I still get a sense of a headache but without the pain.  It is a good life now.

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 9:32am

Next time you get an RX for imitrex ask for the vials.

IP Logged

hansfranz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 2:51pm

Hi i have just been diagnosed with CH after having them since 1993 Cry , the so called speacilists told me my back was the problem? i have almost killed myself over these  Cry it all makes sense now. i am in New Zealand and am unsure about the 02 thing, my mum has a 02 concentrater, i have tried it and it works, is there something smaller? and where do you get them from? many thanks for youe help

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 3:10pm

Wow, Hansfranz, 17 years of being misdiagnosed. That's a crime, and I'm afraid an all too common one. The medical profession has just been blowing it big time in general when it comes to CH.

If an O2 concentrator works for you at all, well then I think that sounds like a very good sign that you are very responsive to O2, because the concentrator is less effective than breathing from an O2 cylinder, and doesn't even work for many CH'ers.

Heck, when you graduate to using a cylinder, you may not even need a special hi flow regulator  (for awhile at least??)

In the US, and I imagine in New Zealand, O2 is obtained form medical supply places with a prescription from a doctor. A work around here when not in possession of a prescription is to just get the O2 cylinder from a welding supply place.

If that concentrator continues to work for you, but you need one of your own, I wonder if you could buy a used one form someone?

You might even want to start a new topic with this question, because you may get the attention of more responders that way.

IP Logged

hansfranz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:18pm

Hi bejeeber, i think you may be right about the concentrator, the beast arrived 2:15am this morning so i did 15mins on the machine and all good, i decided to sleep in my lazy boy chair just in case it arrived back, my poor wife has seen me in such agony i try not to wake her any more, well 4:45am it arrived back so i took 10mg Maxalt Melt, this stuff works real quick 15mins and its eased. im in my third week of this now Cry going back to Drs monday to work out a plan. with this )2 do you sleep with it or just use it during an attack? thanks for your reply, i look forward to another. regards hans

IP Logged

krojo
CH.com Junior

the Internet?!

New York, NY
Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 5:03pm

This is an old thread, but I just wanted to follow up since I'd gotten such good advice from you guys.

After 5 days of Verapamil (2 days at just 240mg, then 480 mg ever since) the headaches mostly subsided. I've had two really bad nights in the past two weeks, but other days have been almost pain-free.

So, I never took the Prednisone and went on my trip.

I was never a huge believer in Verapamil, but boy am I now. I guess I'd never taken a strong enough dose so early in the cycle. I hope it will continue to work this well in future cycles.

Thanks,
Rob

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #19 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 6:04pm

That's awesome news Rob, here's hoping it keeps the block up for ya!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #20 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 6:29pm

hansfranz wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:18pm:
do you sleep with it or just use it during an attack?

Hey Hanz, sorry, didn't notice your question til just now.

I've never used a concenrator, but those of us using O2 cylinders just use them during an attack - hopefully catching it right at the onset for the best chance of aborting it.

IP Logged

hansfranz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #21 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 2:36pm

hi i have ditched the concentrater and have been put on verapamil 40mg 3 times aday + sumatriptan once aday. only started yesterday, but looks like my dose may be low compared to the above comments. 3 weeks ago i was having 4 episodes aday this week its dropped to 1 a day but its just after i go to sleep. its nice to know i'm not alone with this. do you think smoking is the cause? i had a head injury when i was nine which left me with epilepsy, but all i have read indicates smoking, 1 article suggested and link between smoking and testostrone. thanks for your reply Smiley

IP Logged

NancyB
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 2:47pm

Unfortunately it could be one, all or none of the above. No one really knows. Blows hunh?

IP Logged

hansfranz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 2:52pm

i suspected that dam means i have to eliminate everthing. excuse me but what does this mean?  SmileyBlows hunh?

IP Logged

hansfranz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 3:24pm

i have just two more questions, melatonin has any body tried this? and Verapamil - is it something you take for the rest of your life? my dr was unsure of this

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!