Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CH/Migraine Combo? (Read 764 times)
LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
CH/Migraine Combo?
Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:36pm

I know that migraines are not often spoke of here....however, I know somebody who suffers from episodic CH's and questions if anyone ever had a typical Migraine on top of CH??

She is on day #3 of migraine and in the midst of the absolute worst CH cycle.  She says she went to see her Doc yesterday and found it very strange that Imitrex, that claims treatment for migraines isnt touching this!!

Would like some feedback guys...This really sucks for her!

The migraine thing has happened about 3 other times..lasts for about 3-4 days all the while Clusters continue..then the migraine is gone..and she's whooped..!!!  Also, questions the possibility this might be hormonal..!?

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Re: CH/Migraine Combo?
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 8:22am

I used to get lots of migraines and ch.  I have had a migraine at the same time getting hit by ch.  It is hell.  Imitrex wont touch it at that time.  The only thing I have found that will work is going to er and getting a narcotic shot to sleep it off.  It is really strange imitrex will abort a ch for me and a mirgraine.  However, when I have both at the same time imitrex will not work.  Makes for a terrible combination.  The migraine will last 2-3 days and I get 8 ch a day each 1 1/2 hrs long.  So it is quite exhausting.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 8:57am

PM Catlind, she has both.

'darlin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ordiefam
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 4:36pm

I too, get both. I thought the Ch was always part of the migraines, but just found out they are separate.  My new doctor does not believe in narcotics, so we just started Topomax and I am armed with my O2 for CH and praying for a break in this soon.
I hope your friend feels beeter soon Undecided

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 4:04pm

I had migraines for about 5 years before my CH began.  I had a method of fighting the migraine before I got CH, and could always tell the difference.

For me, Imitrex aggravated the CH before it ever made it better - for example took a Kip 8 to a 9 or so before dropping at all.  I was told this is not too uncommon among people with multiple primary headache types. Also, some CH preventatives have been found to exacerbate migraine - Lithium is one of these.  I found this out after I was on it.   Huh  There are studies that have been done on it even - wish my doc was aware of it at the time! 
Imitrex did not help my migraine either.  O2 is the only real thing that helps CH for me, and Maxalt MLT was the only thing that helped my regular migraines.  I often let migraines go without treatment these days, as the pain is nowhere near the severity as I used to think before CH. 
At one point in time after a week-long migraine in high cycle CH I got a shot of Toradol, helped the migraine level lessen so I could deal with the CH hits.  Fighting both at the same time is the worst.  Can't lie down for the migraine...  I do understand what your friend is going through, and it is trial and error to figure out how to get through.  It is different for everyone!

I'd be happy to help more if I can - I have a great article on preventatives and abortives for migraines too!  There are lots out there as it is much more prevalent than CH.

Val

val2651  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!