Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New sufferer (Read 2942 times)
Barbi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dallas, TX
New sufferer
Feb 8th, 2010 at 3:25pm

Hello!  My name is Barbi, I'm 27 and I'm from Oklahoma.  I'm very new to these types of headaches.  The problem started about 3 weeks ago.  2 nights in a row I woke up at 2:30 with the most painful headache on the right side.  I'd never experienced pain like that!  Everyday since then at 8:15PM  I get the same headache in the same spot.  Feels like the whole right side of my head is about to blow.  The pain raidates behind my right eye, my cheek, the back of my head, and finally down to my neck.  I haven't been to the doctor yet but my husband is convineced I have CH.  Yesterday was by far the worst I have had yet.  3 headaches in 1 day!  First one started early at 3:30, second at 7, and the last at 10.  I'm embarrased to say that I'm afraid of the evening hours!  Once 8PM hits I start getting anxious because I know what's coming.  Anything I can do at home that might help?

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: New sufferer
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 3:53pm

1. take the cluster quiz, see link to your left. 

2. identify your symptoms & triggers,

3. document your pain----times they occur, for how long, where you feel pain, etc

4. Read as much as you can from this site AND print helpful info to bring to doctor.  ideally you will go to a neurologist.

5.  Understand recommended Preventative meds & Abortive meds.

6.  RedBull or other energy drink containing 1,000 mg of Taurine with caffiene...Ice packs/bag of frozen vegetables...have your spouse read this info also so he understands what you are going through....melatonin to sleep....firm massage to temples and neck...etc., plenty of helpful tips on this site.

7.  Not in your best interest to smoke, drink alcohol nor take pain pills including over the counter meds such as tylenol, etc

We are here for you, you are not alone!

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Skullcrusher
CH.com Junior

I'm Tired of Hurting!

Guelph,Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 6:37pm

Read as much as you can. I would print out some of this great info from this site and bring it to your doctor when you go. Without meds or O2 your best bet is Monster or Red Bull. Although not the best for night time....
Good luck!

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 7:20pm

Hi Barbi,

There's lots to learn here, some of which will likely bring you some genuine relief, but for starters I'll echo the NO ALCOHOL of Las Vegas's post.

Don't learn the hard way about what a crushing hit drinking alcohol will induce for most of us when we're in the midst of a CH episode.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2010 at 7:23pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Barbi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dallas, TX
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 10:34pm

Unfortunately I learned the no alcohol rule the hard way.  1 drink last Saturday and 25 minutes later I was screaming in pain!  Thanks for the advice everyone.  It's nice to know I'm not alone in this!

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 2:36am

Sounds like CH, but you need to see a doctor for that diagnosis.  Three weeks is a short amount of time to jump to that conclusion in my opinion.  Try the tips people have shared.  Read.  Log your symptoms to take to the doc.  Good luck!

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Barbi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dallas, TX
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:39pm

11 days later and I'm still suffering.  Still haven't been to the doctor (waiting on my insurance to kick in from a job change).  Attacks have been getting more severe everyday.  I have been keeping a journal of everything to take to the doc.  I have had some luck with an ice pack and Red Bull.  I'm not really sure if the ice pack helps but it makes me believe my brain is not just boiling away.  The Red Bull seems to reduce the length of the attack down to about 15-20 minutes.....with only a little neck pain after the 20 minutes.  I generally get the attacks at night but I had my first daytime attack last Friday.  Started at 7:45AM and lasted till about 11AM.  Luckily I work from home and have a VERY understanding boss.  I've tried to stay away from alcohol and everytime I slip, I end up regretting it.  Anyways, sorry to go on for so long just need to get this out.  My husband has tried to be supportive but he really doesn't understand.  Bless his little heart, he's trying.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 8:32am

While you are waiting for your appt. digest this article and see if it gives you some insights. It may raise questions to enrich your discussion with the doc.
==========

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the better overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article--link, line above--if you are serious about keeping a good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Barbi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dallas, TX
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 9:18pm

I'm new with this so this might be a stupid question but are there any tale tale signs that a cycle is coming to an end?  I'm going on 5-6 weeks now and I'm just praying it ends soon.

Funny side note:  My husband has really been trying to be supportive.  I mentioned to him that Red Bull seems to help shorten the headache, so yesterday he came home from work with enough cases of Red Bull to last me thru the next Ice Age!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 9:41pm

Seems there are as many ways to tell a cycle is ending as there are CH'ers! Some get one last huge slammer, then it's done. Others, like me, they get less severe and farther apart until I realized I've gone a couple of weeks without getting slammed.

And yeah....a good supporter can make all the difference in the world. Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Chad from mn
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 9:52pm

Tried the red bull today and it worked

Barbi, hang in there

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 9:55pm

That's awesome Chad...used Red Bull and oxygen 2 hours ago when you-know-who came calling!

Joe

IP Logged

Barbi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dallas, TX
Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 9:59pm

I can't wait till my insurance kicks in.  I hear everyone talking about O2 and I wanna get in on that action!!!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:16pm

31 years of this and oxygen STILL rocks my world. 10 minutes and I'm back in my happy place with no pain!

Joe

IP Logged

Arde
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Dayton, TX.
Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:32pm

Chad from mn wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 9:52pm:
Tried the red bull today and it worked

Barbi, hang in there

See a lot of references to Red Bull. I use Rip It-stinger mo, it has 1016mg. taurine per 16oz. can and the price is 99 cents a can, sometimes on sale for 79 cents. I prefer the taste over Red Bull, and it's less expensive. If you're a penny pincher like me you might want to give it a try.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 3:15am

Barbi wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 9:18pm:
Funny side note:  My husband has really been trying to be supportive.  I mentioned to him that Red Bull seems to help shorten the headache, so yesterday he came home from work with enough cases of Red Bull to last me thru the next Ice Age!!

That is funny, and he sounds like a keeper.  Smiley

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
IP Logged

Barbi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dallas, TX
Reply #16 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 2:18pm

Hey everyone!  I haven't been on in awhile.  Haven't had any pain since the 2nd week of March....hoping it stays that way!  Moved to Texas so if there are any CH sufferers in the TX area let me know!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #17 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 2:25pm

The pain free time is great news. Would strongly suggest you NOT let your guard down. The pain free times are the best time to evaluate what did and didn't work, find a reliable neuro or a GP who can prescribe oxygen, trex or what ever else you need.

For several years I'd exclude the beast from my mind when I was off cycle. Then when the beast came back, I'd be flat footed, call my doc to find out he was gone, find myself back at ground zero trying to find a good doc, oxygen, everything else I needed!!

Joe

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #18 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 7:13pm

Barbi wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:39pm:
My husband has tried to be supportive but he really doesn't understand.  Bless his little heart, he's trying.

Send him here - we support supporters, too!

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #19 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 8:15pm

Hurrah on pain free time!!!
Smiley

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #20 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 2:14pm

Hey Barbi - ditto on Lettucehead's hurrah!, and Joe's "keep your guard up".  Smiley

If you're in the the Dallas area, well dang if you didn't just miss a meet'n greet of a bunch of our fellow CH'ers in that area hosted by our very own Dallas Denny (I'm not in Texas, but I partied vicariously by reading about it here  Cool)

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #21 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 5:16pm

Barbi Welcome to the club to which membership is not voluntary!

Hope you find more PF times and  new CH friends!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!