Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Put into a deep sleep? (Read 1034 times)
B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

England, UK
Put into a deep sleep?
Feb 8th, 2010 at 8:14am

Hello!

My husband has Ch and my mum's been doing some research and has come across this page;

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

at the bottom it says;

The neurologist may keep the sufferer deeply asleep for up to three days. But it works; once the cluster headache cycle is broken, the patient finds relief...until the next cycle.

The rest of the page sounds a bit wrong, so I was wondering if anyone has had this done to them, or heard anything about it?!
Possibly a load of rubbish.. but everythings worth a go, if it really helps?

Anyone?

Bex

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Put into a deep sleep?
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 9:36am

In the U.S. there are a very few situations where sleep is used this way but I've never seen any suggestion that it might be used for CH.

In any case, given the U.S. health care system no insurance company would pay for it and only the rich could afford to pay for 3-days in the hospital.

The kicker is, if you have to use this treatment for each cycle, the long tem expense is something imagine!

At this stage, we have a sufficient choice of reasonably effective meds available to handle CH, so I expect this sleep approach might be a passing interest and/or a tool to gain some better insight into the brain's mechanisms around why CH, etc.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 3:52pm

Hi,

I missed this topic the first time around and since I'd never seen it before I thought I might make a reply since we do have some experience in this area. Soon after my son's car accident, the pain from his CH's increased exponentially. We were in the E.R. several times a week and many of those times he was uncontrollable. He was put into ankle and wrist restraints several times because of his thrashing and screaming. He's a big, strong guy and pretty scary to most anyone if he's out of control. One time, purely out of compassion and with his Neurologist's okay, he was given what I remember being called "white night." It was an injectable white liquid and it put him right out - and they kept him out for a week! It did break the cycle though, at least long enough for us to get him home. Since it was the doctor's call, our insurance paid the bill.

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 3:58pm

That's three days of my life I imagine I'd want back when I get to the end.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!