Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
White wine? (Read 2354 times)
potlimit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

las vegas
White wine?
Feb 5th, 2010 at 5:13pm

Obviously like most, alcohol is a huge trigger for me, but I've been reading a couple of things that say white wine is doable... Is there a consensus of sorts on this, or am I reaching?

Mase

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Re: White wine?
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 5:32pm

If alcohol is a trigger, why chance it?  Just wait until your cycle is over.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 5:52pm

We have never "voted" on the question here but I have regularly reported on a European study which said:

distilled spirits, red wine, beer, are a killer; white wine appears to not trigger attacks.

Not much data, to be sure, but all we have....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 6:25pm

i have heard of people saying they are ok with vodka, but not beer, red wine, other hard liquor. id say give it a try if u have O2 nearby.

i become a sober guy during the weeks i am having an attack. it keeps me honest i guess.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 8:55pm

I'm chronic & when in a high cycle I go on the dry, in the low cycle I can drink stout, white wine & scotch, yet if I have one beer or red wine I will start shadowing heavily within 20 minutes.
I've never been able to figure why; stout is basically a beer & the difference between red & white wine is the colour.

Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

potlimit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

las vegas
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 9:08pm

Thanks for the input all... much appreciated!

Maybe I'll test it at home with a couple sips with o2 nearby and see what happens.

Wouldn't be a big deal, but have to go out socially with people for work etc, and it gets a little old when people start looking at you as if you're a recovering alcoholic.  And I don't wanna get into the whole "well, ya see, I have these headaches...,"

Thanks again,
Mase

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 11:58pm

Don't give me the "has" to do the social drinking with co-workers thing. 

I have regional Reps come into town all the time and I've yet to accept the social dinner and drinks invitations while they are in town.  Yes, they write it off as a business expense, but I have other demands on my time out side of my work hours, so I gracefully decline, stating that I have prior commitments.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 12:38am

Good luck with that.

For me, it's alcohol in any shape or form.  Won't touch it during a cycle.   One swallow is enough to trigger an attack.  Tongue

YMMV.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 1:21am

Barry_T_Coles wrote on Feb 5th, 2010 at 8:55pm:
I've never been able to figure why; stout is basically a beer & the difference between red & white wine is the colour.

Alcohol is metabolized quicker and more efficiently with sugars -  stout is given body with lots of starch and sugar.  Many  stouts also contain licorice root extract, which has some action similar to corticosteroids. And because stouts are full bodied, they often get more hops than piss colored weak or mild beers. Hops are loaded with active chemicals, some of which hit the melatonin receptors:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Red wine does contain more color, and these colors (anthocyanins) have powerful effects on blood vessels, causing initial dilation and release of nitric oxides (=>trigger!!). In a normal person, red wine is much healthier for the heart and blood vessels than other types of alcohol; clusterheads-in-cycle are abnormally sensitive to what is otherwise beneficial (as well as being susceptible to intense exercise and heat, which do the same thing to blood vessels).  Red wines also contain lots of colorless polyphenols in much higher amounts than whites. Reds are commonly oaked (increasing tanin levels), while whites are seldom oaked.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2010 at 1:26am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 5:33am

Ok, I'm gonna jump right in here about the social drinking thingy. Been doing that for years... and I've probably set a record for "mixes", coffee, cokes, etc.

And I spend LOTS of time in BARS socially. I just don't DRINK much and I've NEVER made excuses (about headaches or anything else) about NOT wanting a drink.

I have a friend I attend a lot of social functions with and we have a running joke about him being the "designated drinker". But I always have just as much fun as he does and I remember it.

Don't get me wrong. I DO take a drink when I WANT one - I just NEVER feel obligated to take one.

Anyhow that's my 2 cents on that...

Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

NancyB
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 9:32am

I agree completely with Barb. You don't have to make excuses- what you drink is what you drink and not anyone elses business. There are a lot of people that go out on a regular basis and don't imbibe. Good luck to you!

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 7:56am

Quote:
and it gets a little old when people start looking at you as if you're a recovering alcoholic.

Is there some sort of shame or stigma that comes with that title?
I see it as a sign of courage, strength and pride.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 10:21am

If you're worrying about what other people think of you, your head is in the wrong place.

Each of us encounters only a handful of people throughout the course of our lives that make us want to be a better human being. We hang onto those relationships for dear life. Screw the rest of them.

YOU'RE the one who has to look at that mug in the mirror every day.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 11:20am

Quote:
people start looking at you as if you're a recovering alcoholic.

And the problem with that is what? I've been sober  for 15 years And I'm not sure what the "LOOK" is your refering to.

IP Logged

Wayne
CH.com Old Timer

RedBull Rules!!

Christchurch, New Zealand|
Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 1:16am

Here's a completely different take on it. Like Barry I can get away with stout (Guiness) and some of the purer beers. Red wine, for some daft reason, is usually ok but let me touch a glass of white......

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 7:00am

Wayne wrote on Feb 15th, 2010 at 1:16am:
Here's a completely different take on it. Like Barry I can get away with stout (Guiness) and some of the purer beers. Red wine, for some daft reason, is usually ok but let me touch a glass of white......

Well one thing is for sure the demon isn't fussy when it comes to choices of the finer things in life  Lips Sealed
Cheers & bottoms up
Barry

Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

dhames1428
CH.com Newbie

Thanks, I'll try Ibuprofen.
Hadn't thought of that

Plano, TX
Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 1:44am

I'm so dopey on Topamax that I can't wait for the weekend... I feel so much better when I'm hanging out with my friends in a bar and they've all had a few beers! Grin

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 12:29pm

Brew wrote on Feb 7th, 2010 at 10:21am:
If you're worrying about what other people think of you, your head is in the wrong place.

Each of us encounters only a handful of people throughout the course of our lives that make us want to be a better human being. We hang onto those relationships for dear life. Screw the rest of them.

YOU'RE the one who has to look at that mug in the mirror every day.

What Bill said Cool

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!