Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
should I stop taking melatonin? (Read 1145 times)
Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
should I stop taking melatonin?
Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:05pm

Been taking 6 mg melatonin every night.  Last night I forgot to take it for the first time in ages.  I noticed today my head felt lighter throughout the day, felt "clearer", possibly less depressed (again "lighter", less "slowed down") (don't know if I am imagining this but pretty sure I'm not), also felt like I was breathing better (have bad allergies so don't know maybe that was a coincidence and allergies were just not as bad today).  I would like to stop taking it, but don't know if this is wise, is this what is keeping the headaches away is the melatonin use and am I imagining that maybe it is causing "side effects" (although relatively mild)?  Any advice from long term users or others knowledgeable?
Thanks--any input appreciated.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: should I stop taking melatonin?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:41pm

None of us is you. There's only one way to find out.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 10:09pm

Yeah, you know you're right I'm not going to take the risk--there's a reason why I've been in remission this long and I have a feeling that that word begins with "M" and ends with "N"!  Otherwise why would I be shadowing right now?  Yep, I'm not messing with the sleep thing, I don't want those headaches back.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 10:14pm

You can always view it as a test - and always be ready to get back on the train.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

cherylc
CH.com Junior

x1|Simcoe|Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 10:18am

Maybe you could try taking only 3 mg of melatonin before bed?  I too have experienced the "heaviness" of my head taking 6-9 mg of melatonin.  I did some research on line and discovered that excess melatonin production has been linked with SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder.  Resulting in tiredness, grogginess and difficulty getting out of bed.  So I now only take melatonin when I am afraid a cycle is approaching and then when the cycle is over I lower my dosage, gradually until I am not taking any.   Reading the leaflet with the melatonin that I purchased, the recommended dosage is 3 mg and it is not recommended to take it on a continual basis.  I realize that everyone is different, but this works for me.
Hope you are still in remission...

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 5:04pm

I have been taking it for the past 2-3 weeks now ( 10mg.) with no help what so ever as far as keeping the beast away.....I decided last night that its not for me,so Monday was the last night that i took it.....As far as being tired ( and the not so clear head),i think that its do to my dancing throughout the night,then again we are all so different.....wishing all PFDAN.....Lenny

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:09pm

Next day groggyness is one commonly mentioned side effect of melatonin. For daily maintenance, I usually take 1.5 mg; when I am getting hit, the dose increases.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!