Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
a brain related illness (Read 2692 times)
LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
a brain related illness
Feb 1st, 2010 at 10:22pm

Many brain related illness' can be induced by thought. 

I'm curious if there has been a study on this site or if anybody has personal experience where a CH remission becomes a cycle due to too much thought about CH's!? 

I have not had a cycle, thank God, in 5 yrs and my wife knows I have been studying alot on ch.com recently.  She suggested I be thankful i'm not in cycle right now and too much concentration about CH's might trigger a cycle.

Has anybody ever thought about this concept?

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: a brain related illness
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 11:10pm

You're over thinkin it.

Potter

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:23am

Potter, as usual says the most with the fewest words!  Unless you have a psychosomatic illness, researching will NOT trigger a cycle.

There is a tendency for some psychology 101 students to think that they have some/all of the "abnormal" psychological conditions when they study things like: phobias, neurosis, depression, anxiety, etc.  That's because they tend to be young and impressionable.  I hope that you're not like that!

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:50am

Following that logic I should spend 20 hours a day researching winning lottery numbers.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:00am

There was a time I was convinced that ignoring the condition could prevent a cycle starting. I'd stick around the board on cycle to get help, then leave as soon as the cycle ended! A short blonde lady on the board convinced me of the error of my ways and got me to attend a meet and greet while off cycle........a fabulous weekend meeting fabulous people and talking non stop about CH........and no cycle started!

I suspect they'll some day discover how stupid easy it is to prevent/cure CH......but I for one am convinced it won't be as easy as not thinking about it! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:10am

This is called superstition.

I'm reminded of a lyric by the great Stevland Hardaway Morris (aka Stevie Wonder):

Quote:
When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

NancyB
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 11:10am

Just being a good scout- always be prepared!

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:17pm

New Years resolutions have always been important to me.  I usually critique my pros/cons/goals/objectives to achieve goals, etc.  Last month I was reviewing my resolutions for 2010 and the subject of health came to mind.  I thought about my health issues.  One that came to mind was CH's.  I have not had a CH in 5 yrs.  Normally I get cycles every other year for the past 30 yrs.  I have been on/off this website message board since 1999.  I have not been on this board in a couple years and considering I am "overdue" for a cycle, thought it might be in my best interest to research and see if there are any new clinical studies, meds-preventantives/abortives, ways to manipulate doctors and insurance companies, etc. so that I will be prepared when I next get hit with a cycle.  We all know it is dreadful to sit and try and concentrate on reading something while in cycle.  I read alot of posts from the past two yrs and I posted a few, I replied to a few.  I even ordered a coffee mug from the ch store which arrived very fast Smiley 

My wife has never known me to have CH's, only to know a small amount of info from what I have told her of them.  We have only been together 3 yrs.  She saw my renewed interest and shared with me that many brain related illness are sometimes caused by thought.  In other words, if I drink from a coffee mug for a couple hours a day I am reminded of CH's 50+ sips everyday.  If I am on a message board researching and posting and replying an hour or so a day, I am focused on CH's once again.  She thinks before you know it, all this thought about CH's that were tucked away in my subconscious for the past 5 yrs have now become a part of my everyday conscious and it might trigger the beast.  It is certainly possible, God forbid. 

Just wanted to share this concept for further discussion among those of us who may have insight to this topic...any more input?

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:21pm

Quote:
It is certainly possible,

No, it's not. If it were, would the reverse not be true then also? Could I not rid myself of this thing forever if I thought about it long enough and hard enough?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:31pm

Brew wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:21pm:
Quote:

No, it's not. If it were, would the reverse not be true then also? Could I not rid myself of this thing forever if I thought about it long enough and hard enough?

Great input, thanks for sharing, but my argument for discussion is that thinking about it may induce a cycle.  So if you think about it long enough and hard enough to get rid of it forever, you are still thinking about it, thus potentially triggering and/or prolonging a cycle. 
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:37pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:39pm

LasVegas wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:31pm:
Brew wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:21pm:
Quote:

Great input, thanks for sharing, but my argument for discussion is that thinking about it may induce a cycle.  So if you think about it long enough and hard enough to get rid of it forever, you are still thinking about it, thus potentially triggering and/or prolonging a cycle. 

Believe what you will.

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 2:31pm

Wives (and husbands for that matter) say the craziest things. Her timing is good though - she could have waited to say something like that in the middle a cluster headache hit when it would really resonate with greatest impact. Wink

Scott

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 2:35pm

So if I think about cancer too much will I get cancer?  or MS? or Fibromyalgia? or Arthritis? or Asthma?  None of these conditions are affected by "thinking about them."  It makes me crazy when someone says if I didn't think about my headaches so much, maybe I wouldn't get them.

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 2:38pm

Talk to Danielpeterson He'll fill you in on that thinkin thing.

Potter

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 2:46pm

Potter wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 2:38pm:

Potter

Who is that?

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:02pm

[quote author=636E6E696E6E010 link=1265080966/12#12 date=1265139332]So if I think about cancer too much will I get cancer?  or MS? or Fibromyalgia? or Arthritis? or Asthma?  None of these conditions are affected by "thinking about them."  It makes me crazy when someone says if I didn't think about my headaches so much, maybe I wouldn't get them.

With all due respect...Cancer, Fibro, Arthritis nor Asthma are brain related illness which is the topic.  Not sure about MS which does have similarities to Ch's.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:06pm

LasVegas wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 2:46pm:
Potter wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 2:38pm:

Potter

Who is that?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Potter

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:09pm

You are correct.

Can you share with me some "brain related illnesses" that ARE caused or triggered by "thinking" about them?

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:12pm

Quote:
...shared with me that many brain related illness are sometimes caused by thought.

The psychological ones, perhaps. This is not a psychological disorder, however. It is a neurological disorder.

In essence what she's telling you is that she thinks it's all in your head.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #19 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:17pm

Jeannie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:09pm:
You are correct.

Can you share with me some "brain related illnesses" that ARE caused or triggered by "thinking" about them?

Jeannie

Depression and stress are the only two that come to mind.  Both of which are psychological disorders and CH's as mentioned above from Brew is a neurological disorder.  This makes sense now!  Thank you for participating in this discussion.  It clarifies quite alot and am now comfortable letting my wife know of this and not to be concerned that too much thought on Ch's will trigger a cycle...because the beast attacks whenever it damn well pleases!!!  Thanks again to all Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:21pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #20 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:44pm

LasVegas wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:17pm:
Jeannie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:09pm:
You are correct.

Jeannie

Depression and stress are the only two that come to mind.  Both of which are psychological disorders and CH's as mentioned above from Brew is a neurological disorder.  This makes sense now!  Thank you for participating in this discussion.  It clarifies quite alot and am now comfortable letting my wife know of this and not to be concerned that too much thought on Ch's will trigger a cycle...because the beast attacks whenever it damn well pleases!!!  Thanks again to all Smiley

There you go.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 1:08am

Yeah you're just being smart for researching ahead of a possible episode.

You've had 'em starting 30 years ago and have gone for 5 years now without an episode?

That is commonplace. Really. Apparently it hasn't been researched, but it's as plain as the writing on this board that this is a very common pattern. You're describing my experience to a T in fact.

I'm hoping yours have just burned out, heck I hoped mine had burned out, but with me they came back, the episodes are just getting further and much further spaced apart.

I guess you and I are a couple of the lucky ones so far.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2010 at 11:21am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!