Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
verapomil and longer cycle? (Read 1679 times)
anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
verapomil and longer cycle?
Jan 31st, 2010 at 7:02pm

I was reading an old post before someone saying that they thought that verapamil makes cycles last longer? anyone else hear this? thanks

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: verapomil and longer cycle?
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 11:35pm

I've read several discussions of people who thought imitrex had extended their cycle.....myself included.....there are some on the board who have even given up on meds altogether, using just 02 to abort and avoiding all other meds. They believe it has shortened their cycles.

I don't think there has been any formal study into any of this, just peoples opinions. I don't use imitrex anymore, but still use lithium as my prevent.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 8:17am

My experience with V is as you stated.  Although it decreased the number and intensity of the hits, I felt like it extended the length of the cycle. 

During my latest cycle I used only O2 and a total of 7 Trex injections for the hits I couldn't break with the O2 but no prevents of any kind.

In the next couple of weeks I anticipate beginning a bi- yearly treatment with "buster" meds and am very hopeful that I will enjoy the same success as other posters have with that treatment regimen.

DD

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 8:26am

Don't know....I took verapamil this year, and my cycle went 6 months instead of 3.

BUT...It started 3 months early...nothing to do with the Verap.
    It did work good for me....but I also will be going the seed route next time.
   The Verapamil is just so hard on the hiney! Grin
Constipated the whole time!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 8:46am

Constipation is surely one of the easiest issues we have to handle. Regular use of the fiber based products can give comfortable relief without the cramping of more aggressive products.

Look at the PDF piece, below.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (90 KB | 86 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wip5150
CH.com Veteran

I have tired head

Naperville, IL
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 9:41am

Like others, I do find that taking Verapamil does extend the cycle but it's a small price to pay for very few daytime hits and (for the most part) lower intensity hits overall.

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?  I have, and man it hurts.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1 wip5150  
IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 9:50am

thanks for the reply all! so im wondering what u guys think if i slowly weened down from 720 mg's a day to 480  mg's a day and see what happens? i have been in cycle about a month and a half with no hits in a round 5 days! of course i will ask the doc later today when i see him but i respect u guys just as much if not even more Wink thanks

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 1:50pm

General rule of thumb when on preventatives: Two weeks without hits or shadows, then start to taper off preventative meds.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wip5150
CH.com Veteran

I have tired head

Naperville, IL
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 3:17pm

Brew wrote on Feb 1st, 2010 at 1:50pm:
General rule of thumb when on preventatives: Two weeks without hits or shadows, then start to taper off preventative meds.

Agreed on all counts.

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?  I have, and man it hurts.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1 wip5150  
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 5:38pm

wip5150 wrote on Feb 1st, 2010 at 3:17pm:
Brew wrote on Feb 1st, 2010 at 1:50pm:

Agreed on all counts.

Make that three who agree.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 6:35pm

gotta love all u guys!!!! thanx!! Cheesy

IP Logged

LoriB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:00am

Hope a newbie can jump in here. I started prednisone which stopped all hits for me immediately - wonderful. Started Topamax at the same time. Tapered off prednisone over 2 weeks, still on Topamax. Doctor told me to continue the Topamax for 2 months. But if I'm not having any hits at all, sounds like maybe I shouldn't take it for that long? This is only my second real cycle of full-on clusters, I endured the first one with no meds or diagnisis so I am really figuring things out now. I have been reading everything on this website, and am totally amazed and impressed, beyond impressed, with the quality and intelligence of the information and advice offered here. What a fanatastic and caring gift! Lori

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:03pm

i would read what brew wrote on this thread! as a matter of fact listen to all there peeps! they are amazing! im also a newbie! only my second cycle also! i havent had any hits in around 5 days still having shadows though and that "tingle" certain times of day so im staying on my verap until at least "2WEEKS NO SHADOWS NO PAIN"  Wink
keep us posted!!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:55am

You're a CH member now Lori, that entitles you to jump in any where you please! Wink

My doc always had me go 4 weeks pain free before I started off my prevent. Different doc's, differernt opinions! I have never used Topomax so I'm not familiar with how you go on and off it, but do talk with your doc before starting off of it. We like to frequently remind others....and ourselves!!!...to always communicate with their doc before increasing or decreasing our dosing!

Hoping the cycle's done with you this round.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 2:30pm

For the most part I am PF.  I can even have a drink.... No red wine though Sad.   The minute I wean down to as low as 180mg a day(from 540mg) I get hit.  Does this mean I'm still in cycle?   

I'll never figure this out.  I wish I had just continued what I started with the  "Buster" method. 

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 2:57pm

im not expierienced enough to answer that but would be curious to hear what other peeps think!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!