Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hoping someone had the same procedure. (Read 1628 times)
Bob Greenwood
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Mass.
Hoping someone had the same procedure.
Jan 25th, 2010 at 6:11am

I've had a bad back for a long time.  When I was 19 I had a block of foam on my head and was carrying it into an 18 wheeler and being 6'3" tall wasn't paying attention and when I got to the door I came up too soon. The foam caught the door and it jammed my head, pushing it down. I couldn't lift my head for a few weeks, but the X-Rays said it was fine. That same year was the first time I had ever had cluster headaches.
Fast forward 9 years I had to have a lamineckomy of a disk that was herniated (c-5 and 6). The surgeon said I had a lot of bone spurs and he did some scraping while he was in there but there were so many that he couldn't get them all.
Last year everything caught up with me. My lower back and my neck were both acting up so I went to a neurologist. He had MRI's done on me and said I'm pretty messed up. I have 3 herniated disks in my neck and a few in my lower back but I told him to worry more about my neck. Here I am a facet block and a steroid shot later. The facet block did stop a cycle I was going through, but the pain from the disks was still there. So now they finally sent me to a surgeon. He say's c-3an4, c-4and5,and c-5and6 are really bad and they are curved forward pushing my head forward and straining all the muscles in my neck and shoulders.
We've tried everything else so surgery is what we're gonna do now. On March 8th I'm going in for a cervical  fusion of those disks. I'm hoping it works, and was wondering if anyone else here had it done, and if it worked?
Also, I want you to know I'm NOT doing this to get the CH's to stop, I'm doing it so the pains I get from the disks stop.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Hoping someone had the same procedure.
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 7:32am

Wow, Bob. That's some serious stuff. I've never had any back surgery, but my father-in-law came to live with us after he had some similar procedures on his lumbar area. He was instructed not to raise his body off the bed more than 30 degrees without wearing his turtle brace while recuperating. Of course he did, and he messed up what the surgeon had done, and almost lost all sensation in his legs for good.

Moral of the story - do exactly what the doc says for as long as he or she says.

Oh, and do keep us posted. You don't want us to worry about you (even though we will - it's in our nature).

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob Greenwood
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Mass.
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 7:58am

Aw, don't worry about me. I'm a tough SOB from New England. I can take it Wink And trust me, I WILL listen and do exactly what he says to do.
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. That really sucks. He said my L-4and5 and my T-11and12 are just as bad, but I told him I don't want any work on those.
I can deal with them for now, but my neck is driving me crazy so that's what I want them to focus on right now.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:04am

And this is one of those instances where I would advise you to take the pain meds as the doc orders. They may not seem to be doing any good, but they are.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Bob. I imagine back surgery can be a pretty scary notion.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob Greenwood
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Mass.
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:14am

Oh, ya.....I'm nervous as heck, but it needs to be done.

I'm on meds right now that don't seem like they work, but I'm still taking them. I hate taking them but he said I should.

And don't pray for me, the Haitians need the prayers more than I do Wink

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:38am

Good luck with it Bob.
   hope it brings ya some relief.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:14am

I had back surgery in 2000 on L5/s1 for a bulging disk and pinched nerve root giving me drop foot.  I recovered fine from that surgery.  BUt 6 years latter started having severe pain in my lower back again.  That was 2006.  I have been messing around in the pain clinic because the surgeon refused to do anything at that time.  I have 100mcg of fentayl patch and it isn't doing much for the pain that I am aware of.  Still at a 10 for pain.  I had nerve facet steroid injections that didn't do anything for me.  So sent back to the sergeon.  He now says I have 3 bad disks again and wants to do a fussion on L5/s1, l4/l5, l3/l4.  I went in on Friday of last week to have another round of steroid injections.  So far no pain relief in sight.  I just wish the dr would opperate.  I feel for what you are going through.  Hang in there this to shall pass and we will get through it all.  Ah and there is no reason I can not pray for you as well as the Hatians.  My God is big enough to handle all prayer requests.   Wink  Keep me informed I am curious also to your outcome.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Bob Greenwood
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Mass.
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:17am

Thanks guy's.Karla, I will keep you informed. And I hope they help you too. Living with pain on a regular basis sucks. Good luck.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 2:27pm

My brother in law is going in for this tomorrow morning at 8:30AM:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

He's 49 and has all kinds of neck/back problems from college football.

Marc

IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 5:13pm

Sending our prayers and thoughts Bob. 

My Dad had back surgery last Oct 29th, his 82nd birthday.  Unusual operation for that age I know but he is the primary care giver for my Mom who suffers from advanced Parkinsons and sypmtoms of early Alzheimers and the pain had gotten so bad he couldn't get around to care for her.

I'm not sure what C number or L number but he had 2 discs fused and a titanium plate with 3 screws installed in his lower back.  He had been experiencing a shooting electrical type pain up and down his right leg and his left foot constantly felt like it was in a bucket of ice water for several years. 

The 29th was on a Tuesday and the surgery was performed early in the morning.  At mid morning on Weds he was able to get up and walk from the bed to the door and about 15 feet up the hall with the aid of a walker.  When I got to the hospital Thurs the nurse ask me to talk to him as he was refusing pain meds and was thus in too much pain to get up and do the rehab exercises.  He consented to half a dose and was able to get up that afternoon and walk almost 30 feet up the hall and back.  On Fri morn he again refused pain meds, got up and did the required exercises and walking and since the Doc had told him he would release him Fri afternoon as long as he wasn't having to depend on pain meds and could do the exercises, he was released and I drove him home that afternoon.

We got 24 hour sitters for them for about 10 days at which time Dad was getting around better than he had been able to in several years, so he let them go and began taking care of Mom and himself again.

I know this sounds absolutely impossible but you see Papa, although retired, is a "Southern By God Baptist" preacher with just a sprinkle of Pentecost thrown is for good measure, and as we all prayed with him before the surgery, he told God that he was gonna have to heal him in a hurry so he could take care of Mom!!

Made me cry then just as relating this story is making me cry now but it is a amazing testament to the power of prayer!

Dallas Denny

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

NancyB
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 6:42pm

My brother- in-law has had to have several disks fused. The first ones were at the age of 18- he has a conjenital birth defect that required it. Had to have a couple more last year.What he and my sister ( a physical therapist ) say is it should be last resort- which it sounds like you've reached. Just beaware that when you have disks fused it puts more strain on the surounding disks and they too will eventually have to be fused. I have heard of a new therapy called disk replacement were they take out he old disk and put in a synthetic disk. Still in the trial period I think,but maybe you qualify. It's something to ask about anyway.

IP Logged

Dharma
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 10:27pm

I am a surgical nurse and neurosurgery has been my specialty for the last 5 years so I have participated in probably hundreds of these surgeries. I am assuming they are going to go in from the front-- this is called an anterior cervical discectomy fusion, acdf, for short. It is a pretty basic procedure and usually goes pretty well. The biggest complaint most people have after is the collar they have to wear for several weeks after. I had a friend who had it done and she HATED that collar. But it is necessary to stabilize the neck until the bones fuse.

Also, do you smoke? If so, it is important to quit asap, the bones don't fuse as well in smokers. Overall it is successful surgery and it is my understanding that patients get relief from their pain with it.

Good Luck!!

IP Logged

Bob Greenwood
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Mass.
Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 4:26am

Yes Dharma, I'm a smoker. I set up a doctors appointment to talk about quitting. I tried Chantix and it really messed with my system, so I'll have to ty something else.

I'm sure the collar is aggravating, but I'll wear it as long as I have to.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!