Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Your clusters ever "haunt" you? (Read 2765 times)
Corey_Griffith
CH.com Newbie

I can't let it beat me

Arlington|USA||||TX,Texas
Your clusters ever "haunt" you?
Jan 24th, 2010 at 10:02am

Not sure how else to explain it.

Sometimes my clusters dont actually go away so much as they just diminish greatly. Many times Im still left with a vague stabbing "cluster-like" sensation that is just enough to be uncomfortable but not enough to be full-on painful.

IP Logged

Fox
CH.com Junior

We all need somebody to
lean on.

White Plains, NY, USA
Re: Your clusters ever "haunt" you?
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 10:25am

They're called shadows.  They seem to vary from person to person.  For me a disturbing twitch in my eyelid, annoying but bearable pain in temple, and/or a general 'sizzling' in my head can persist after an attack, or creep up and fade away outside of attacks, as a gentle reminder the Beast is lurking.  Shadows can be a precursor to an attack.  My attacks seldom come with more than 10 minutes shadow warning.

Some of the preventive meds that keep attacks at bay, seem to let shadows through.  They are annoying, but better than the full-force attack any day.

Others may chime in with ideas for handling shadows, or hunt the Boards for ideas.  I haven't tried these yet, but might if I should get long shadows. 

Fox
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2010 at 10:37am by Fox »  

So just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand
We all need somebody to lean on

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 10:44am

Mine present as a sort of tightness in the eyebrow/cheekbone/ear canal. Sometimes painful, other times not so much. Oxygen or an energy drink or both. Sometimes they're not painful enough to even pursue.

I view them as my little reminder to stay ever vigilant. Like the dent on the end of my nose (from removal of a basal cell carcinoma) to always put on sunscreen if I'm going to be out in the sun.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Phil L
CH.com Veteran

x0|San Diego|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 2:58pm

I find shadows to be a common almost everyday event escpecially when in cycle, but have periods of when they persist long before and after a "typical" cycle.

When I get up in the morning and have to look down to see the grass I know it's going to be a great day!

IP Logged

burnt-toast
CH.com Hall of Famer

economy|USA|PA
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 5:33pm

Nothing like those gentle reminders of CH adventures past and yet to come.

However, I readily admit...,

Compared to the professional strength versions, these are little more than lingering nuisances.

burnt-toast
(Tom)      

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 7:15am

Yes.  My cycles are late spring, but I have also had a period with these in late fall.  Everything but the pain.  Weird, scary, but quite tolerable in the end.  The worst downside is the "get away from me" part during a micro-hit, but I can usualyy excuse myself and take a walk.  My hope that more of your hits are this variety.

Jon

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 7:07pm

Sorry to be a hijacker but I'v been out of cycle for nearly 6 weeks now but I'v still been getting shadows and today they've been almost constant , I was starting to get a bit scared the clusters were coming back, so is it common ( I use that word loosely ) to get shadows out of cycle ?

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Braxxis
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 3:00pm

I've been having constant shadows all day. Generally I get them for about 10-20 minutes after an attack but these ones today have been lasting straight between each attack. I get a "cold tingling" from my temple up similar to pins and needles of an appendage falling asleep followed by slight pressure in my temple. My eyelid also droops slightly and my pupil dialates a bit more. Occasionally during the shadows my ear will also plug up.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2010 at 3:01pm by Braxxis »  
http://www.facebook.com/#!/Zigeith?ref=profile  
IP Logged

teresa 1919
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Peoria Illinois
Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 11:31pm

Yes not every day but i have ear pain and eye pain. I get so freaked out thinking i am going to get them. The last time was 6 months.

teresa1919

macy91192@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:10am

A shadow to me only happens while in cycle or when a cycle is coming.  It's a warning to ACT fast.  What is feels like is a stone being placed on my temple with a mallet hitting it lightly only to get more intense if I don't ACT with an abortive.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Hickory
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 5:56pm

I've been using powderd ginger. I mix 1/2 tsp.-1tsp. per an oz. of water, mix it up as best you can and slug it down. chase it with more water. The taste is strong but it works for me for a few hours. I hope this helps. Peace Hickory

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 8:20am

Hickory wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 5:56pm:
I've been using powderd ginger. I mix 1/2 tsp.-1tsp. per an oz. of water, mix it up as best you can and slug it down. chase it with more water. The taste is strong but it works for me for a few hours. I hope this helps. Peace Hickory

I've read about this powdered ginger and would be willing to try especially since I love ginger.  Anything natural is worth a shot.

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 8:46am

Ok, so maybe the headaches I've been getting daily are "shadows" which means I'm still in my cycle. They do make me nervous and afraid another "big one" will follow especially when it's persistent and lasts more than a few minutes. Thankfully that has happened for the last 8 wks. just annoying head pangs.
Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 5:49pm

this happens to me as well during my cycle. i have always referred to it as a background headache, but most here refer to it as "shadows" from what i see. i do know what u mean by haunting me as u are just waiting for the pain to turn into a full blown cluster headache. its peering over your shoulder ready to pounce.

IP Logged

ordiefam
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:49am

I was wondering what a shadow was.  I need to pay closer attention of these signs.  I left myself with an empty tank of o2 here at work yesterday and got a ch and had an hour left of work.  I made it home, switched out the bottles and sat for 20 minutes until it eased up and was wiped out.  Still learning about all this stuff.
Needless to say, not sure if related or not, but I was up most of the night with a migraine too. Nausea was really bad. And today I feel like I have been hit by a truck. BUT I do have O2 with me! Shocked

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 11:18am

Here is my analogy:

shadow headache = tremors

cluster headache = earthquake

IP Logged

Arde
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Dayton, TX.
Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:48pm

I have shadows in-cycle. Just a dull minor headache in the temple. A minor annoyance is all it is to me. Actually I'm thankful having them, knowing it could be a lot worse.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!