Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When you awake... (Read 3065 times)
Revolvr
CH.com Newbie

Phoenix AZ
When you awake...
Jan 20th, 2010 at 11:26pm

Are you already in pain?

More often than not, when I wake up with a CH in the middle of the night, I have noticed that at the time I wake, I am not actually having any pain. Sometimes I lie awake for a few moments wondering why I woke up. And then it hits, that sensation behind the eye. A few more moments to try to convince myself it isn't happening again, then the dark realization that I'd better hop out of bed fast to hit the O2.

This is curious to me. If it isn't the actual pain that wakes me up, what is it? Is there something triggering in my sub-conscious? Something I am unaware of but my brain is aware of? Perhaps a change in brain chemistry or in electrical patterns that comes right before the pain starts. Is there anything in the current CH theory that might explain this?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: When you awake...
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 11:30pm

Nope. I'm in pain by the time I wake up.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 7:14am

Me too

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 7:29am

I usually wake with a shadow (K2-4). I know to hit the floor (better not lay there and think about it) and get some coffee or O2 down me immediately and can usually abort before it gets worse.

Might try that. I've found that if I lay there it's going to rev up into a full blow hit.

Hugs BD Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

wip5150
CH.com Veteran

I have tired head

Naperville, IL
Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 8:33am

Generally when I wake up I have a quality shadow forming so I know it's time to hit the bricks and begin my ritual of trying to get rid of the headache before it blows up into something unmanageable.  I will say, however, in the middle of my cycle I find it hard to get out of bed quickly since I'm so tired from lack of sleep.

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?  I have, and man it hurts.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1 wip5150  
IP Logged

Fox
CH.com Junior

We all need somebody to
lean on.

White Plains, NY, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 9:04am

The attacks that hit me while asleep are a b*tch, as they have a good head start, well beyond shadows.  Since the Beast likes to strike in REM, I'm usually very groggy when these attacks wake me, and it often takes a minute or two to realize who's knocking (and accept the dread), then I hit the O2 fast.

Fox

So just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 9:35am

I'm like Fox...only dumber! I sleep really deeply so when a CH starts, I dream I'm having an attack, dream I'm starting the 02, dream it's not working!!! By the time my dumb arse realizes it's not a dream I'm already getting my butt kicked!

It's funny for the first 20 years I NEVER had a night time wake up hit, those didn't start until I reached my 40's.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:27pm

u aint no dumb ass bro!!! the "beast is the dumb ass!

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:42pm

I'm in pain by the time I wake up too.   Like Joe, I dream that I'm getting hit and don't realize that I really am.  This just happened to me this morning.  ( Another random hit???? )   It took the 02 longer to work. 

Jeannie

ETA:  Since I'm new to using 02 I'm finding it hard to focus on sitting and breathing instead of my usual CH ritual.    This morning's hit was pretty good.  I'm using the non re-breather mask still.  It's  difficult to concentrate on breathing, cover the holes to inhale, uncover them to exhale, pull my hair, press on my face and keep ice on myself all at the same time.  How do you break those habits?
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:50pm by Jeannie »  

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:52pm

You don't have to sit....

But you do need to get an O2ptimask.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 3:17pm

Jeannie wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:42pm:
I'm in pain by the time I wake up too.   Like Joe, I dream that I'm getting hit and don't realize that I really am.  This just happened to me this morning.  ( Another random hit???? )   It took the 02 longer to work. 

Jeannie

ETA:  Since I'm new to using 02 I'm finding it hard to focus on sitting and breathing instead of my usual CH ritual.    This morning's hit was pretty good.  I'm using the non re-breather mask still.  It's  difficult to concentrate on breathing, cover the holes to inhale, uncover them to exhale, pull my hair, press on my face and keep ice on myself all at the same time.  How do you break those habits?
I have my O2 ready to go and checked out everything that came with the Optimask, but found more comfort with the mouthpiece.  No mask to worry about, period.  I have a beard so it will probably be the better choice.  Next cycle will be my first using O2.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Judge_Smails
CH.com Junior

|maplewood|USA|New_Jersey
Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:32pm

If I get hit at night I usually wake up with a shadow, which gives me time to hit the O2 or Trex before it gets too bad.  I'm a light sleeper so the slighted thing will wake me anyway.  This cycle I've been waking up every 2 hours to go to the bathroom so I haven't been sleeping too soundly to begin with.  I guess I blame the verapamil, but I don't remember ever having this "side effect" before.  Oh well, what can you do.

IP Logged

burnt-toast
CH.com Hall of Famer

economy|USA|PA
Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:58pm

When I wake-up attacks are already cranking up the volume. 

I've tried staying put and letting attacks run their course but have never been successful.  The longer I stayed put the more intense the attacks seemed to get.      

burnt-toast

Tom   
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2010 at 5:03pm by burnt-toast »  

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.

IP Logged

wip5150
CH.com Veteran

I have tired head

Naperville, IL
Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 5:12pm

burnt-toast wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:58pm:
When I wake-up attacks are already cranking up the volume. 

I've tried staying put and letting attacks run their course but have never been successful.  The longer I stayed put the more intense the attacks seemed to get.      

burnt-toast

Tom   

I've tried this as well.  Every once in a while - especially during peak of cycle and I'm groggy as hell - I just feel like if I lay there and concentrate on my breathing, I will be able to just kill the bastard on my own.  The net result, for me at least, is this is ALWAYS a bad decision and ends up giving me a longer, more vengeful headache.  It's almost as if I'm being punished for my lack of respect for the beast.

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?  I have, and man it hurts.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1 wip5150  
IP Logged

Revolvr
CH.com Newbie

Phoenix AZ
Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 6:21pm

Jeannie wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:42pm:

Jeannie

Instead of trying to cover the holes, I squeeze the bag lightly so that there is always a little positive pressure in the mask when I breath in.

But I did order the high-end mask from this site, so I expect that will work a lot better. It isn't here yet.

IP Logged

dazza
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:49am

changeing the subject abit, but getting hit at night is so more didnifided then getting hit at a diner party. Its getting hard to explain the WHATS UP WITH YOU ACTED

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #16 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 10:48am

Brew wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:52pm:
You don't have to sit....

But you do need to get an O2ptimask.

Just ordered it. Smiley

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #17 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 10:55am

I hear you Dazza....after 31 years I'm still very private with my CH, I always find a hiding place! It's so much easier then trying to explain CH...."It's like trying to tell a stranger bout Rock N' Roll!"

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #18 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:17pm

Guiseppi wrote on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 10:55am:
I hear you Dazza....after 31 years I'm still very private with my CH, I always find a hiding place! It's so much easier then trying to explain CH...."It's like trying to tell a stranger bout Rock N' Roll!"

Joe

There's a more than a little of his Dad in that boy Wink

I don't get hit much at night.  But when I do, it always has a running start on me.  9 out of 10 time that I have to resort to Imitrex injections it's because of a night time hit.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #19 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:21pm

Revolvr wrote on Jan 20th, 2010 at 11:26pm:
Are you already in pain?

More often than not, when I wake up with a CH in the middle of the night, I have noticed that at the time I wake, I am not actually having any pain. Sometimes I lie awake for a few moments wondering why I woke up.
I wish this happened to me.  I'm in moderate and climbing pain by the time I wake.  In the past I have just fought it out.  Hopefully jumping on the O2 will help next cycle.

I would assume it takes more O2 when in a full blown night attack?

IP Logged

Fox
CH.com Junior

We all need somebody to
lean on.

White Plains, NY, USA
Reply #20 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 2:03pm

Chad wrote on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:21pm:
I would assume it takes more O2 when in a full blown night attack?

Yup.  Same as any attack that advances fast, before I can get to the O2, the ones that wake me in mid/full force are harder to knock down.  The earlier, the better, but when asleep I miss the early signs, and the Beast can really rev up.

Fox

So just call on me brother, when you need a hand
I just might have a problem that you'd understand

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 2:42pm

Fox wrote on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 2:03pm:
Yup.  Same as any attack that advances fast, before I can get to the O2, the ones that wake me in mid/full force are harder to knock down.  The earlier, the better, but when asleep I miss the early signs, and the Beast can really rev up.

Fox
I hear you LOUD and CLEAR on that
Fox.  It's usually too late when I awake.  The pain is too far up the scale if you know what I mean....

IP Logged

Revolvr
CH.com Newbie

Phoenix AZ
Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 5:41pm

Most of you seem to be sleeping heavier than I do. When I'm on an episode I don't sleep very well. But I'm also not taking anything to help me sleep except 9mg Melatonin.

Last night I had a good laugh at myself. I started waking up in pain, and I had three simultaneous cluster headaches. As I'm waking up, I'm thinking, OMG! How do I abort three of these things!

Then I jumped out of bed, finally really awake and I realized I wasn't in any pain at all. It was all a dream! Just to make sure, I stayed up a few minutes and raided the refrig, then back to bed.

This is tiring.

IP Logged

Timmee_K
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boise, ID USA
Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 7:27pm

Fox wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 9:04am:
The attacks that hit me while asleep are a b*tch, as they have a good head start, well beyond shadows.  fast.

Fox

I'm right there with you. I am guaranteed to wake between 1:30 and 3 am, EVERY night, and am already well beyond shadows. It feels like it's the pain that wakes me.

Tim Krahmer  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #24 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 8:09am

Revolvr -- you might try upping your melatonin...  When I'm in high cycle I do that and skip the night hits (most of the time). When I'm in low cycle I lower the dose and do pretty well. (I'm chronic so I take melatonin year round). It's something to try...

Hugs BD Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!