Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How does your cycle end? (Read 11722 times)
DiscoStu
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

How does your cycle end?
Jan 19th, 2010 at 2:53pm

Someone just posted about an abrupt end to their cycle. I'd like to know how yours ends. I'm in the middle of my 5th or 6th cycle ever. Oddly enough, I can't remember how the others ended. I believe they ended gradually with just shadows for a long time. When I was convinced they were over, I would taper off the verapamil. This is my first cycle in 5 years, the verapamil doesn't seems to be working as well as before (but maybe I'm just getting more whiney in my old age). O2 works on most, but I get a stubborn one every once in a while that I have to wait out. I take 450 mg Verapamil every day around dinner time. My CH usually presents itself around 9pm to midnight. How much verapamil do you take?

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Re: How does your cycle end?
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 3:18pm

....with a whimper....

Scott

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 3:44pm

For some reason, I just have that feeling in my body that it's over.  Usually the biggest sign is when I get busy doing something and I "don't think about it" for entire day and before you know, I just went a whole day PF.  I've had random hits a week or so later out of the blue, but then i'm usually fine till next cycle.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 8:34pm

Mine just ended Dec 29th...and I got a few shadows even last week...just a tingle in the temple.

I did really good this cycle with 240mg of the Verapamil, but next cycle I'll be trying the seeds first.
    For sure.   6 months of constipation with the Verapamil   UGH !

Hope yours is gone soon.

IP Logged

Fox
CH.com Junior

We all need somebody to
lean on.

White Plains, NY, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 9:29am

Stu,

For years my cycles lasted 30 days (+ or - 4).  Attacks were worst in the 2nd & 3rd weeks, and in the 4th week they would get easier, possibly miss a day, and just fade away, without after-cycle shadows.  Like Chad said, somehow I could feel it was all over... maybe just hopeful after a string of PFDANs, but optimism helps.

Last cycle I was prescribed verapamil (320 mg) for the first time (new Dr.).  Attacks stopped cold after 16 days on verap.  I continued the verap to "ride out" the usual 30 day cycle, plus a week for good measure, then tapered off verap.

In this current cycle, I have 8 days on verap... hoping it works the same magic in another week (sooner the better).  This cycle is behaving peculiarly, so I am hopeful, but all bets are off at the moment.

Dr. Sheftell emphasized it was important to take the verapamil throughout the day, e.g. at meal times, with another at bed time.  (4 x 80 mg)  I'm not certain how much this matters, but thought I'd mention since you're taking 450 mg verap all at once.  Maybe check with your Dr. on dosing?

Fox

So just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand
We all need somebody to lean on

IP Logged

Revolvr
CH.com Newbie

Phoenix AZ
Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 11:42pm

Usually there is one solid CH that turns out to be the last. The frequency diminishes and I finally get that last one.

On the cycle I had before the one I am on now, it faded out much more slowly and I continued to get shadows for months. I was afraid it was going chronic, but eventually they faded.

Also while I'm on a cycle, I can tell there is just something wrong all the time - even if PF, there's just something that doesn't feel right, beyond the typical fatigue. Usually near the end of the cycle one day it will dawn on me I am feeling pretty normal.

I recommend keeping a log of your CH occurrences. It is helpful sometimes to go back to the last cycle and look at the patterns.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 11:50pm

seasonalboomer wrote on Jan 19th, 2010 at 3:18pm:
....with a whimper....

Yep.  Decreases in frequency and intensity, and just fades away.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Billie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Maryland
Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 1:20am

My cycles always start very mild and get worse with each one until they peak and stay like that until my cycle just ends abruptly.

http://www.facebook.com/smithbilliejoe?ref=tn_tnmn  
IP Logged

Judge_Smails
CH.com Junior

|maplewood|USA|New_Jersey
Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:36pm

Mine ends with shadows after 4-5 weeks.  I'll usually stay on the verapamil for 5 weeks and then tapper off for another week or so.

Last cycle I was on 600mg, but this cycle I had to bump it up to 720mg (240mg morning, mid-day, and evening).  Still get a hit that sneaks through every 2 days or so, but have been able to stop it with O2.

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 9:15am

The shape of my cycles has been generally similar to those above.  I also recommend a log.  There is usually a gradual tapering off in the frequency of hits and their intensity.  After a week off, I will usually pick one evening to have a number of beers in a smoky, noisy bar.  And another evening for Chinese buffet.

I hope you can do the same shortly.

Jon

Jon

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 9:24am

Im pretty new to all of this are most of u chronic or episodic when talkin about the ending of your cycles in this thread?
anthony

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 9:28am

Episodic.  It is a rather weird thing, coming in without warning and sneaking out quietly.

Jon

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 10:29am

I'm episodic, they start slow build up, then ramp down. My cycles typically last 8-12 weeks so at about 8 weeks I start  weaning off my prevent, lithium, see if I start getting hit or not. If I start getting hit again, I ramp back up on lithium.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 7:58am

Judge_Smails wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:36pm:
Mine ends with shadows after 4-5 weeks.  I'll usually stay on the verapamil for 5 weeks and then tapper off for another week or so.

Last cycle I was on 600mg, but this cycle I had to bump it up to 720mg (240mg morning, mid-day, and evening).  Still get a hit that sneaks through every 2 days or so, but have been able to stop it with O2.

HELLO
I JUST WANTED TO REACH OUT TO U WITH THIS POST BECAUSE I AM IN MY SECOND CYCLE EVER AND ITS BEEN AROUND A MONTH AND A HALF. IM PAST THE "PEAK" AT THIS POINT SO THAT A GOOD THING STILL ON VERAP 600 MG A DAY I STILL HAVE SHADOWS EVERYDAY BUT NO REAL EPISODES IN A LITTLE OVER A WEEK Cheesy SO THAT A GOOD THING! SINCE IM NEW TO THIS THE WHOLE SHADOW THING CONFUSES ME I GUESS ITS PRETTY COMMON WITH CLUSTERS AND WITH CERTAIN PEOPLE ITS PART OR THE WIND DOWN OF THE "CYCLE" I PLAN ON STAYING ON THE VERAP WITH MY DOCTORS ORDERS AND THE BOARDS OPINION WHO I REPECT 100 % AND I SEE IN YOUR POST HERE THAT U TALK ABOUT "SHADOWS" THAT SEEM TO BE LIKE MINE! ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT!
THANK SO MUCH HOPE YOUR WELL MY FRIEND!
ANTHONY

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 10:06am

SORRY GUYS DIDNT MEAN TO POST THIS AGAIN!! MY BAD

IP Logged

Braxxis
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 9:42pm

I'm Episodic as well. Mine start off with a bang. The very first one is generally the most intense when a new cycle begins. (usually about a 12 on a pain scale of 1-10 lol) My attacks are also weaker in the morning (about a 2) and lengthen and intensify closer to night (up to between a 6 and an 8), but the cycle itself is reverse that. I get the most of them in the first few days, then they kind of taper off in frequency until they just, stop.

I envy you to have had a 5 year Remission and to only have had 5/6 Cycles ever. I have had CH since I was about 17/18 and get a Cycle between 4-7 times per year. Over 13 years I figure that's an average of about 70 Cycles since I started getting them. I'm just now after all this time starting a diary, and I tell you, this is the first day of this Cycle and I've had 6 episodes so far today with another one shadowing in as I type. I figure that's roughly about 5 - 10 thousand episodes in 13 years... /sigh lol
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2010 at 9:43pm by Braxxis »  
http://www.facebook.com/#!/Zigeith?ref=profile  
IP Logged

aura
CH.com Newbie

Saskatoon, Sk
Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 3:27pm

See normally my cycle end by having only one hit a day then one every other and then they are gone. This time though, i thought my cycle had peaked and was ending then it almost went back towards the peak again. My cycles are usually 2 weeks and peak with about 6 headaches a day. But this one never hit 6 a day and seems to just be playing with me. I am here, nope I left, ha I am back. I am not sure what is happening......

Does this happen to any of you?

ashley dreger  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!