Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
green tea (Read 7521 times)
anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
green tea
Jan 19th, 2010 at 8:27am

hey all
I went to a new neuro the other day and he told me to totally stay away fron green tea? He was pretty convincing that it was a total trigger! anyone hear this?
anthony

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Re: green tea
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 9:27am

No real research I am aware of, except for a Japanese study that found that migraneurs consumed more green tea than the average person, and that the high caffeine intake might make them more susceptible to neurovascular headaches.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Grinner62
CH.com Veteran

Wichita Falls,Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 9:30am

T

Ow!!!

Hey, someone has to be the smart ass. Why not me?

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 12:06pm

Last Thursday I was at my MD's appointment. He carries a Palm pilot/BlackBerry whatever? and it is used strictly for drug interactions. The information on it is based out of the United States and when we were looking up Verapamil it said one of the things to avoid while on Verapamil was Green Tea!!

Go figure?

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 2:45pm

So Anthony g, I wonder if your doc said that because you're on Verapamil?

I wasn't on the Verap during my last cycle. Drank green tea daily. Not a trrigger for me.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 3:01pm

i dunno why really, but didnt like him so much honestly! been on the search for a new one! have an app next tues with a new one so we will see!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 5:28pm

Green Tea, Black Tea, Oolong tea, Mixed teas, makes no difference to me.  Sometimes I use it instead of coffee, but the caffeine content is lower so it doesn't work as well, but is easier on the stomach.  Wish it was a trigger so I could get rid of the stupid things.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 5:35pm

Any tea is a trigger for me while I am in cycle.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 1:30am

green tea seemed to trigger one a few weeks back for me, and held one today at a low roar.  it hasn't felt very good to drink it for most of my cycle this time.  just a feeling.  i am normally a tea drinker, but coffee feels way better in my cycle lately and so does coca cola.

my general rule on triggers and foods is if it makes you feel good eat it or drink it.  on the other end, even though i usually enjoy a few beers i don't even want one during my cycle, it doesn't even sound good.  cravings can guide me through the food and drink choices.  can't stop eating oranges, but an apple got me the other day.

shaggy

IP Logged

dianesheadaches
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 10:40am

I'm trying to give up caffeine which has had me hooked for 30 years or more! I started a blog after day 6 has me thinking maybe ..just maybe this is the answer.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 10:56am

dianesheadaches wrote on Feb 5th, 2010 at 10:40am:
I'm trying to give up caffeine which has had me hooked for 30 years or more! I started a blog after day 6 has me thinking maybe ..just maybe this is the answer.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

We aren't meegrainers.

Potter

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 12:02pm

Caffeine, like opium, psilocybin, LSA, and a host of other substances, is a gift from God. We can use it for good, or we can choose to abuse it.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

NancyB
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 12:48pm

Gotta' say about the only time I drink caffeine is when I have a headache - whether it's a ch or not. Does bad things to me the rest of the time.

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 8:24am

Well, when I drink something warm, it's tea. Green tea is my fave and ch wise it has only helped - when I had green tea with ginger in it. But we're all different. Green tea with ginger helps me with shadows.

Sanna

IP Logged

kidfam
CH.com Newbie

x0|Wetumpka|USA||0|0|AL,Alabama
Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 4:15pm

Well the wife gave me a glass last night and I had a really worse night than others lately.  Perhaps the green tea?

IP Logged

JHK07
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:17am

About the caffeine,  my Doc insisted i quit.   I used drank a lot of coffee
in the morning, along with pop during day and evening.  That was last June. I quit altogether.
    The last  month I have drank some caffeinated drinks and I have shadows.   I've posted it before, I'm curious if energy drinks,  coffee are just adding fuel to the fire in The Long Term....

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:24am

JHK07 wrote on Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:17am:
I've posted it before, I'm curious if energy drinks,  coffee are just adding fuel to the fire in The Long Term....

In a word, no.

If you have CH and your doctor told you to quit caffeine, your doctor is a schmuck.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #17 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 2:03pm

One doctor say stay away from tea
the other stay away from coffee

i say they should both stay away from coffee and tea.
cheesus cake! these things are coming in waves all these years from our friends,relatives etc but they are not doctors and they are at least trying to help out
of love.But they are Doctors can't they do something better than that?!

wait i now suddenly understand
they love us too Cheesy

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

JHK07
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 2:43pm

Brew wrote on Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:24am:
JHK07 wrote on Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:17am:
I've posted it before, I'm curious if energy drinks,  coffee are just adding fuel to the fire in The Long Term....

In a word, no.

If you have CH and your doctor told you to quit caffeine, your doctor is a schmuck.

Schmuck?  I have had 1 CH since That visit last June.  I visit this site often.....   How about another thread about an energy drink? coffee? tea?
   I don"t understand the VASCO whatever it is that caffeine has on our blood vessels.  Yes I have read it may help abort relieve an attack......

Is it possible that an attack could be a  withdrawl or lack of caffeine our body has.... hence we suck down a energy drink, strong coffee; thus creating Fuel For The Fire.

I realize this does not apply to all.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #19 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 3:10pm

JHK07 wrote on Apr 29th, 2010 at 2:43pm:
In a word, no.

If you have CH and your doctor told you to quit caffeine, your doctor is a schmuck.Schmuck?  I have had 1 CH since That visit last June.  I visit this site often.....   How about another thread about an energy drink? coffee? tea?
   I don"t understand the VASCO whatever it is that caffeine has on our blood vessels.  Yes I have read it may help abort relieve an attack......

Is it possible that an attack could be a  withdrawl or lack of caffeine our body has.... hence we suck down a energy drink, strong coffee; thus creating Fuel For The Fire.

I realize this does not apply to all.

I'm very happy that you have only experienced one attack since last June.

Very simply, in a CH attack, one of the arteries in our head dilates and puts tremendous pressure on the trigeminal nerve. It is an occurrence of vasodilation (expansion). Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor (as is blood which is super saturated with O2).

For a doctor to suggest eliminating a vasoconstrictor from someone who suffers an affliction caused by vasodilation puts him in the schmuck category.

IP Logged

cgrill
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - May 1st, 2010 at 3:34am

i drink green tea all the time and it has never seemed to affect me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!