Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
working out when in cycle (Read 2681 times)
anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
working out when in cycle
Jan 17th, 2010 at 6:18pm

hey all
I have been in cycle about 5 weeks or so now! been not owrking  out since i have been in cycle since i work out with weights! I feel that it will trigger an episode? I worked out at the beginning of this cycle once and 10 minutes after bang!!! any input
thanks
anthony

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Re: working out when in cycle
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 8:46am

Yup, just another strange aspect of Ch's. I'm your opposite, once I feel a hit coming on I jump on a cross trainer and the physical exercise can help me abort some attacks immediately.

Physical exercise...Abortive for some and trigger for the rest.....

Lefty...!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 8:57am

You are one of the blessed!
----------
Lancet. 1999 Sep 18;354(9183):1001-2.
Comment in:
Lancet. 2000 Jan 8;355(9198):147.

A new cluster headache precipitant: increased body heat.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Exercise, a hot bath, or elevated environmental temperature provoked cluster headaches, within 1 h, in 75 out of 200 patients. This new observation accords with recognised precipitants--alcohol, histamine, and gyceryl trinitrate--perhaps via generalised vasodilatation or hypothalamic activation.

Publication Types:
Letter

PMID: 10501368 [PubMed]
========

Years ago, when ergotamine SL tabs were easy to get (you might check with the drugstore), I would use one tab just before doing yard work in the summer. That would prevent an attack 90% of the time.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 9:27am

Elevated body temp/continued cardio-vascular exercise - sustained for me past 45 minutes is about as accurate a description of trigger as can be. This is my biggest trigger. I can shorten the exercise and avoid being hit most of the time.

Scott

IP Logged

NovellRed
CH.com Junior

x0|San Diego|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 10:24am

It works both ways for me.
When in a cycle but not having a cluster at the time, heavy exercise will bring one on.
When having a cluster heavy exercise will shut one down.
I have exercised regularly for many years and here is what I do:
On weight lifting days, I take longer breaks and do deep breathing excersises between sets. On running days I only do the mileage. I do not use the stopwatch and tell myself during the run that I am just getting the mileage in. I also time my breathing to stay in rythm with my stride. This forces me to exhale completly and breathe deeper and slower.
If I ever get nailed with a cluster and can't get to my oxygen. I put on running shoes and run as hard and as long as I can. It is my way of fighting the beast. I tell myself it is him or me and I am going to run until he is gone or I am dead. I end up screaming and writhing on the ground exhausted, a mixture of tears and snot running down my face and dripping off my chin. When I recover enough to stand up I do it again. It takes everything I have, but so far I have won every time.

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 10:35am

I tip my hat to u my friend!!! Sounds to me like u have it down to a science! Im new to the "beast" so takes time to take control i guess!! thanks again!!

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 11:17am

I jog when the weather is nice out like 2 miles every other day and I certainly did this last cycle and I didn't get any triggers from it.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 2:33pm

Over the years we have gone thru this discussion regularly. BOTH extemes of temp have a impact--just for different people.

Some use heat (as in a hairdryer) to abort an attack; heat triggers for others. Ice packs used to abort for some, not others.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 3:33pm

So maybe it's not global warming, it just climate changes..... Angry

Scott

IP Logged

candid
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 5:06am

I get hit all the time when trying to attend classes...after walking in -10 celsius to class once i get to the class i get so warm from the heated room (i think the flourescent lights play a role too)  that i get hit almost 80% of the time.
Is ergotamine the best way to treat this? Anything else I can do?
thanks

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 8:38pm

candid wrote on Jan 19th, 2010 at 5:06am:
..... i get to the class i get so warm from the heated room (i think the flourescent lights play a role too)  that i get hit almost 80% of the time.
Is ergotamine the best way to treat this? Anything else I can do?
thanks

Candid - In a situation like that I would use the imitrex inhaler (unless I could slip out to the restroom or my car for an injection). I believe this is a much more commonly used abortive than ergotamine these days. Works well for me (ergotamine never did), but as drugs are wont to do, it comes with some possible side effects to consider.

Actually another thing I would try if getting hit in the warm classroom would be to get back outside ASAP and deep breathe that really cold air thru the nose. This has definitely enabled me to abort hits when not in peak cycle, and I know it has worked for others too.

And getting back to the exercise discussion, vigorously exercising at the onset of an attack can sometimes help abort it for me. I've never found exercise to be a trigger.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 9:22am

Back before oxygen, my best results came from simply brisk walking.  (a)I couldn't stand still or sit anyway, so why not?  It helped take my mind off the beast. (b)the breathing seemed to be beneficial.

Jon

Jon

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 10:32am

Way back before oxygen I'd go for an all out 30 minute sprint when I got hit, worked well as an abortive. Other then that exercise has never brought o an attack.

However.....I used to use creatine when I was pushing through a weight plateau.........learned creatine is a HUGE trigger, almost as bad as alcohol for me.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Gfunk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 11:26pm

(first post)

Man, am I ever glad I decided to browse the internet to see if there was any new info..

I am episodic and just started a cycle 6 days ago (had my first cycle in 1996).  I had also started taking some creatine for the first time in something like 10 years.  I bought it a month ago, but didnt get around to taking it regularily until a little more than a week ago I think.

I totally hadn't heard in the past that it was a trigger, but it sure looks suspicious now.  When I took it 10 years ago, it was for about a month and I didn't recall any correlation with CH, but it likely between cycles that I was taking it.  (my cycles are usually about a year between and last only a week or two, so it sounds like I am one of the lucky ones)

On an exercise note, intense cardio helps me a lot.  I generally find that I have to get my heart rate over 160 beats and keep it there for several minutes to help abort an episode.  I don't think lower intensity helps much, but its hard to tell, as I kind of naturally go into a bit of a frenzy when I am trying to kill an episode.

Today one hit me at work (they are less common for me during the daytime so I was a bit surprised.. could have been the creatine), so I tried running stairs up the office tower, however dress shoes and running fast up narrow concrete stairs aren't really a good mix.  I was also having trouble doing stairs because my legs kept cramping up (I think this is due to all the CH related biking I have been doing during the night at home, where I haven't been warming up or stretching).

I ended up giving up on stairs and ran down the street to my gym, quickly changed and hit an elliptical trainer.  After 15 minutes of that, the episode was over.  My trainer saw me and said "wow, you were really going hard", lol..  (she doesn't know anything about CH, or that I suffer from them). 

Usually I can end an episode with 15 minutes (total) of intense cardio, but this attack was more like 45 minutes (including stair climbing, running down the street, and the elliptical).  For some reason, cardio on a machine seems more effective (for me) then exercise forms where I have to think about where I am going.

I am a big fan of elliptical trainers for CH relief, because you can distribute your effort into either your arms or legs.  If I have too many episodes over a short duration, I start getting pretty worn out from using something like an exercise bike (plus it feels a bit better to be moving my arms, so an elliptical is more natural).

I also try guzzling coffee, and I think that helps a bit.  I am curious to try out this red bull trick that people have been talking about, I am going to pick up some tommorow on the way to work.  The creatine is going in the garbage.

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #14 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 10:01am

yo glad u found us man but sorry your here!! this is an amazing site bro! i am also new to it just stay tuned u will learn sooo much! ask away bro!!
anthony

IP Logged

Braxxis
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 9:46pm

Lefty wrote on Jan 18th, 2010 at 8:46am:
Yup, just another strange aspect of Ch's. I'm your opposite, once I feel a hit coming on I jump on a cross trainer and the physical exercise can help me abort some attacks immediately.

Physical exercise...Abortive for some and trigger for the rest.....

Lefty...!

Same here. Working out or good physical activity actually makes an episode subside for me. Good thing I workout at night when my episodes are the worst in Cycle lol.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/Zigeith?ref=profile  
IP Logged

krojo
CH.com Junior

What did CH'ers do before
the Internet?!

New York, NY
Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 10:02pm

Man, it's so frustrating how triggers, treatments and all other aspects of CH are so individual and so variable! It would be so much nicer if we could all just say, "yeah, working out is great and will help you" or "No, stay away from exercise, it will trigger." Instead, we all have to run our own hellish experiments to figure out how we dance with this Beastly partner.

I was never much of an athlete and would have never wanted to work out in past cycles (just felt so down) but exercise has since become an important part of my life and I'd hate to not exercise for my whole cycle.

I think I will experiment tomorrow with a moderate workout of cardio and weight training. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones.

Has any of you experienced problems with exercise or other vigorous physical activity while taking high doses of Verapamil? I'm now just starting with 240mg/day but expect to increase soon. I would imagine that working out with such low blood pressure would be somewhat dangerous. BTW, I'm 6'4" and sometimes feel light-headed with vigorous exercise.

-Rob

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 8:08am

krojo wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 10:02pm:
Has any of you experienced problems with exercise or other vigorous physical activity while taking high doses of Verapamil?
<snip>
BTW, I'm 6'4" and sometimes feel light-headed with vigorous exercise.

Don't expect that to improve with Verapamil.  The low HR makes me adjust my target HR for cardio.  The low BP can make it downright dangerous if you're not careful.

I have a regular yoga practice.  It is normal for me to experience some dizziness moving from inversions back to stand postures.  Verapamil makes this much more profound.

It's all about tradeoffs.  You have to make modifications to deal with CH.  But I refuse to stop living my life.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

krojo
CH.com Junior

What did CH'ers do before
the Internet?!

New York, NY
Reply #18 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 7:47pm

Thanks Dennis. I like your attitude. I'm trying to accept that I might just have to live like this for a long time and that I must be strong to continue a normal life during cycles.

My previous post was a little unclear. I wasn't expecting the Verapamil to make things better at the gym. I was, as you confirmed, worried that Verapamil might make the gym more dangerous because of light-headedness or fainting and also worried about the workout triggering a hit.

Today I went to the gym for the first time in my cycle. I've just started taking Verpamil last night and it probably hasn't really lowered my blood pressure yet, so this workout probably didn't test the affect of the Verapamil.

However, I'm excited to report that I had no hit and not even shadows. It was awesome. It felt like the exercise actually helped clear me up a bit. I hope that I am in fact "one of the lucky ones" for whom working out is not a trigger.

Thanks,
Rob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!