Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cafergot questions? (Read 1150 times)
saxman
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

portland or
Cafergot questions?
Jan 4th, 2010 at 7:37pm

So I've been taking Cafergot now at night,when first hit starts, along with a rockstar.. Hit gone in 15 minutes and a nites sleep!!!

I am feeling sluggish the next day and am getting boils under armpits and I got a little blister under my big toe that won't heal. Also soreness in legs and feet and ankles. I thought that it made more sense that it was from the prednisone tapers (really prednisone abuse, I didn't taper for 2 weeks and kept taking until hits stopped, I did taper off last week after being scolded from my Dr., and I'm completely off pred for about 5 days).

Any input re: Cafergot side effects? I noticed the other day that the pill bottle reads "don't smoke with this med" I of course continue to smoke like a chimney

IP Logged

NovellRed
CH.com Junior

x0|San Diego|USA||0|0|CA,California
Re: Cafergot questions?
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 9:10pm

While I was teaching and I needed 8 hours of cluster free time, I was using cafergot suppositories. The stated limit was 5 per week, which was fine for teaching 5 days a week. The weekends were nightmarish. It was as if all the clusters I hadn't gotten through the week got their chance and took advantage of the cafergot free weekends. The O2 that normally worked like magic wouldn't work, it was a miserable but necessary trade off.
Cafergot has ergotermine, derived from ergot which comes from a fungus that can grow on improperly stored rye grain. Linneda Caporeal a Behaviorial Psychologist beleives that the "Salem Witches" behavior was actually ergotimine posioning from eating rye grain that had been improperly stored and was infected with fungus. So if you are accused of being a witch, you may want to cut back on the cafergot a bit. Wink

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 9:32pm

I used to use cafergot a lot in combo with me 02 and never had issues like that, certainly worth talking with the doc!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 8:00am

I used cafergot tabs for many years.  The limit is 10 per week but I would average 25 to 30 tabs per week.  Only side effect I had was constantly cold fingers & toes from lack of circulation.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

alll
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 8:30pm

I used cafergot for a few cycles and agree with NovellRed it seemed to work for a while then headaches would be more frequent and severe than if i didnt use it circulation and stomach issues were not worth it.I use low dose amitriptyline try to start taking it when you think a cycle is coming and it seems to shorten the cycle and reduce the amount,severity and length of the attacks sometimes 2 or 3 extra strenght whatever for the superficial pain because  after 22 years of ch chronic in the early years you have to consider liver problems to.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 10:31am

Are your sores still there or did they go away?  Was it from the medicine?

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

saxman
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

portland or
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 1:27am

Hey Karla,Cycle over last week!! The sores are all but gone, I got ezcema (itchy itchy skin) after the last cycle (and alot of Prednisone). I'm sure it was the result of Pred compromising my immune system. This time more prednisone (early in the cycle) and the eczema along with these sores were I'm quite sure the side effect.

I've heard from other posts that this weakened immune system can be permanant!? YIKES!!![highlight][/highlight]

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 8:01am

Saxman, I've used cafergot for the past 15 years and except for circulation (overuse) being a little sluggish nothing else to note.

I never did read the directions and side effects - just use it when its needed and like most chronics overused it probably to the abuse point at times. But except for naseau (which I take phenergan along with it for that) I've never noticed any side effects.

Glad you're over this episode. Hope it's a long time till the next one.

Hugs BD Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!