Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Magnesium for cluster headaches? (Read 12616 times)
Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: Magnesium for cluster headaches?
Reply #25 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 7:57pm

Ellebelle,

I am amazed that you dug this thread out of the archives of 2009...two years ago.   Acupuncture will not help CH

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

palm
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #26 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 5:09pm

I tried taking a 500mg magnesium supplement every day for a week, right before going to bed. BAD!!!~!~

The frequency (but not intensity) of my CH increased by a factor of 10 fold! Not recommended!!!

Looking magnesium up, that makes sense. Magnesium is a vasodilator, but my CH responds very well to vasoconstrictors (like cafergot, etc).

I then tried avoiding all foods high in magnesium, but that doesn't seem to have any beneficial effect.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2012 at 5:10pm by palm »  

IP Logged

Clutch-Hicks
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #27 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 10:23am

I have been suffering from CH for about 25 years and sympathize deeply with all of you.  Each cycle I find new ways to deal with the pain that comes with them.  Imitrex is the only drug I have used that knocks them out.  I take the injectors mainly since the oral form takes too long to take effect.  While Imitrex is a godsend, it is also fairly expensive.  $50 for 2 injectors.
I just started taking 500mg of Magnesium.  I will try anything if there is a chance it will help.  I took my first dosage today and will keep track of my attacks to see if this is helping. Smiley

IP Logged

Clutch-Hicks
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #28 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 6:07pm

After 2 days of about 1000mg of Magnesium i have noticed a difference in the intensity and length of my attacks.   It hasn't rid me of them but, it has made them more tolerable.  I have started D3 caplets today to see if they help.

IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #29 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 5:21am

For what it's worth....I experienced four days PF during this cycle after doing an hour session at Float Spa (an isolation tank in warm water with 1000 pounds of dissolved magnesium). P.S. I'm not advertising, I received this as a gift from my wife.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2017 at 5:24am by Glassman »  

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #30 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 11:16am

Hey Clutch-Hicks,

If you're going to start taking vitamin D3, download the anti-inflammatory regimen by clicking on the following link.  That way you'll see all the other vitamin D3 cofactors and doses including Omega-3 fish oil, magnesium, zinc, boron, vitamin A (retinol) vitamin K2 and and the 3-month course of vitamin B 50 complex as well as the rest of the suggested treatment protocol needed to prevent your CH. The cofactors are just as important as the vitamin D3 as they play a role in vitamin D3 metabolism and help improve vitamin D3 effectiveness as a CH preventative.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Results from the online survey of 187 CHers taking this regimen since December of 2011 to April 15 2016 are in the download.

I just ran the stats on the latest download of the survey database. The good news is the overall raw efficacy has moved up from 81.3% on 15 April 2016 to 82.3% on 31 December 2016. The pain free response climbed from 54.5% to 56.7%.  The best news is the overall raw efficacy for CHers reporting during 2016 found 93.3% of participating CHers experienced a significant decrease in frequency, severity and duration of their CH within 30 days with the pain free response up to 70%. 

I attribute this increase in efficacy during 2016 to an increased availability of the pdf version of the anti-inflammatory regimen treatment protocol (improved compliance), increased emphasis on using the 2-Week vitamin D3 loading schedule at the start of regimen, and the addition of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) to the regimen in 2015 to counteract the effects of allergies that flood the system with histamine.

The other interesting finding from the survey data is I'm seeing more CHers reporting their autoimmune disorders are also responding to this regimen.

Take care and please keep us posted on your results from taking this regimen to prevent your CH.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!